The Raider Chopping Block 🪓

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

He's huge at 6'9" 310, IIRC he played OG at Stanford and then OT during his final season at Duke. He didn't look very good from what I saw during the preseason but he has the size and frame you'd look for in a developmental player. We gave him a pretty big UDFA bonus so bringing him back was almost a guarantee. 

interesting...

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

I bet you anything they're thinking is that Nick Martin can play guard if someone goes down

I agree. I still think that we should bring in at least one more offensive lineman though, especially after we saw how our injuries effected us last season.

OK so after watching the Mike Mayock press conference today somethings stood out to me

-Confirmed what I already thought about how he basically goes to the position coach and the coordinator for all acquisitions. Which explains the radical change to all the speed and aggression on defense. Gunther wanted the players that were signed and drafted up until Littleton(he obviously didn't know how to use)

-I actually feel better about letting Karl Joseph go due to the fact that he acknowledged that Karl Joseph was a really good player but that he just kept getting hurt. Can actually get behind that. I just didn't want to hear that some other guy that's not really better than him that they think supposedly was a better option and then we get another Erik Harris/Leavitt situation. 

-I can understand where they're going now with the office of line having a bunch of little versatile pieces like Nick Martin who can play guard and Denzel Good who can play tackle. I personally like Brandon Parker at left tackle but I don't know how I feel about him as a swing Tackle doesn't Leatherwood get hurt I'd rather have Good there. Overall I see the logic (Especially with Morrissey on the practice squad)

Here it is for anybody who cares:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If James doesn't play well or gets hurt and we have to play Martin at C it could be a disaster for us this season.

You’ve just said in another thread you are happy we’ve got Martin as insurance for James? 

I'm glad that we kept Nick Martin on the team as an insurance policy for him. Nick Martin played guard in college and early in his career with the Texans as well so he should provide good depth.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dessie said:

You’ve just said in another thread you are happy we’ve got Martin as insurance for James? 

Yeah, because if James gets hurt or plays very poorly and Martin has to start at center, what happens if Incoginto goes down? In that scenario we're looking at Martin starting at C and Simpson starting at OG, with literally zero depth behind them. 

Edited by NYRaider

One of the concerns I have about the offensive line is that Seattle's OL took a major dip as soon as they were all Cable guys. Our offensive line has looked good during Cable's first couple of years here but we also had proven talent already on the roster like Gabe Jackson and Rodney Hudson, while also bringing in high level free agents such as Trent Brown and Richie Incognito. 

Our offensive line this season, especially if Incognito isn't healthy will literally be all guys that Cable brought in via the draft outside of Good who we signed in free agency. 

Miller - Simpson - James - Good - Leatherwood

Sure, the Seahawks failed to spend much money in 2016 on the offensive line. But they did spend more in draft capital over the last seven seasons than any other team. And at the end of the 2017 season, Seattle was starting all first-round and second-round linemen. (I realize Duane Brown and Luke Joeckel weren’t drafted by Seattle, but that doesn’t really help Cable’s argument.)

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah, because if James gets hurt or plays very poorly and Martin has to start at center, what happens if Incoginto goes down? In that scenario we're looking at Martin starting at C and Simpson starting at OG, with literally zero depth behind them. 

Too many what if's you like Martin or not? If James sucks and Martin has to replace him how you feel about that? 

49 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Too many what if's you like Martin or not? If James sucks and Martin has to replace him how you feel about that? 

If James sucks and Martin has to replace him then we have to pray that our starting guards stay healthy. Regardless though we need to hope that our OL can stay healthy over a longer season because our only depth is Parker, Martin, and Simpson. We saw how many injuries we had along the OL last season but at least we had a fairly deep group.

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

If James sucks and Martin has to replace him then we have to pray that our starting guards stay healthy. Regardless though we need to hope that our OL can stay healthy over a longer season because our only depth is Parker, Martin, and Simpson. We saw how many injuries we had along the OL last season but at least we had a fairly deep group.

I'm more worried about right tackle than I am about guard. Because all it's gonna take is for Denzel good to get hurt and leatherwood to get hurt at the same time

Edited by Jeremy408