Rookie QB class Watch

dll2000

On 9/2/2021 at 3:34 PM, dll2000 said:
On 8/31/2021 at 9:53 PM, JAF-N72EX said:

Rookies generally struggle in year 1 but when Fields does eventually start and has a productive season then I want everyone who spent an entire offseason bitching about Fields not getting #1 reps to remember they did so and how it didn't matter in the end. Because I didn't see anything that suggests he will struggle with 1s when it's his time to take over.

That isn't the point

Then what else is there to worry about? The ultimate end goal is Fields' succeeding and putting an end to this miserable run of QBs, regardless of how he gets there. Who gives a damn about the amount of reps he takes with Arob, the easter bunny, or myself just as long he reaches that goal, right?

Imagine it was you.

Would you rather have the practice time with your offense with the 1s or just have to go out and play on a moments notice when number 1 fails after you have been running scout team for weeks?

I wouldn't care either way, just as long as I get to the level that I'm aiming for. It's about reaching a goal....not the process that it takes to get there.  

But I'm not in the NFL player either. I don't know what it's like to be an NFL player, nor do I know how the Bears staff operate behind close doors and how it affects each person individually for better or worse, and neither do you or any other fan. So I'm not playing this hypothetical game.

If practice reps and timing isn't important to season and game preparation then why does Dalton need it?

For the same reason Fields does.....because he's new. The QB position is not just plug n play.

Also, There's no need to sensationalize your point. I don't think anyone has ever said rep and game prep aren't important. At least I'm not anyway, nor have I read anything even close to this.

On 8/31/2021 at 9:53 PM, JAF-N72EX said:

Rookies generally struggle in year 1 but when Fields does eventually start and has a productive season then I want everyone who spent an entire offseason bitching about Fields not getting #1 reps to remember they did so and how it didn't matter in the end. Because I didn't see anything that suggests he will struggle with 1s when it's his time to take over.

Stats thru 1H

Wilson: 6/16, 84 yds, 0TD, 1INT, 1FUM, 5.3 ypa, 29.3 QBR, 3 sacks

T Law: 10/21, 133 yds, 1TD, 2INT, 0FUM, 6.3 ypa, 44.4 QBR, 0 sacks

Those #1 reps are sure paying off so far.

Mind you, this is against the vaunted Panther and Texan defenses.

2 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Stats thru 1H

But on the contrary, these games today won't hinder them from being good pros. It's not like this day will ruin either

3 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Stats thru 1H

Mind you, these two teams were drafting first and second this year for a reason too... lol

They combined to win 3 games last year. I'd be shocked if Brady or Mahomes wouldn't struggle in half the games in their spots

• Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 4:14 PM, Sugashane said:

Mind you, these two teams were drafting first and second this year for a reason too... lol

They combined to win 3 games last year. I'd be shocked if Brady or Mahomes wouldn't struggle in half the games in their spots

Yeah, I'm not sure that's a fair comparison either but after one game the Nagy/Dalton pairing has proven no different than any of the other Nagy/Vet QB pairings of the past three years either. If we can't put more than 14 points on the board with Dalton just how many games can we win with him?

You really don't have to look to much farther than the TD Fields did score.  He runs an RPO that looked a little hinky from the start with only one blocker in front of him and a LB drawing a bead on him.  Fields speed alone left the LB flat footed and he scored.  Without that we settle for a FG and lose 34-10.  Aaron Rodgers had a losing record his first year as a starter too but anyone could see he was capable of producing what others could not.

On 9/12/2021 at 1:44 PM, JAF-N72EX said:

Stats thru 1H

Right better they should play without practicing or gaining experience.

By that plan I should be ready to be all pro QB soon. 

NAME SEASON TM GP CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG YDS/G TD TD% INT INT% SCK SCKY RATE
Jordan Love Jordan Love 2021 GB 1 5 7 71.4 68 9.7 68.0 0 0.0 0 0.0 1 4 102.1

Zach Wilson Zach Wilson 2021 NYJ 1 20 37 54.1 258 7.0 258.0 2 5.4 1 2.7 6 51 82.9
Justin Fields Justin Fields 2021 CHI 1 2 2 100.0 10 5.0 10.0 0 0.0 0 0.0 0 0 87.5
Mac Jones Mac Jones 2021 NE 1 29 39 74.4 281 7.2 281.0 1 2.6 0 0.0 1 13 102.6

Trey Lance Trey Lance 2021 SF 1 1 1 100.0 5 5.0 5.0 1 100.0 0 0.0 0 0 127.1
Trevor Lawrence Trevor Lawrence 2021 JAX 1 28 51 54.9 332 6.5 332.0 3 5.9 3 5.9 1 13 70.1

I'm counting Love since he never took a pass last year, and is essentially a rivals redshirt rookie.

• Like 1

Nagy really took some online heat today when he implied he would keep using Fields as a "chess piece" running a few gadget plays instead of starting him.  There are more and more people coming to the conclusion that Nagy is off his phuc'n rocker sitting in his office scheming out trick plays for Fields to run.  If Fields gets injured running something like that Nagy and his family should move to an undisclosed location, and fast.

7 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

A once in a generational prospect and Wilson have 6 months of "1st team reps" and both start week 1 and both QBS regressed in week 2.

Fields comes in with no prep and outplays both of them.

Damn......those reps and starts really helped...

You arguing practice and experience doesn’t matter for a QB is weird.  You are too smart for that.  

Practice makes you better.  Examples of people doing poorly despite practicing or doing good despite not practicing is not convincing. 

Every single one of us knows that you need practice and experience to get better at things.  That is part of human experience. 

If Fields had to start this week would you not practice him? Or would you have him take mental reps?  Of course he would get every rep.  Why would you do that if it doesn’t help? 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

A once in a generational prospect and Wilson have 6 months of "1st team reps" and both start week 1 and both QBS regressed in week 2.

Fields comes in with no prep and outplays both of them.

Damn......those reps and starts really helped...

But this is kind of apples vs oranges vs bananas isn't it?

JAX is not the Bears nor are the Jets the Bears.  I know the media loves to use stats to compare players but IMHO that's way too subjective when talking about different players on different teams.

I would accept a comparison of Dalton vs Fields running the Bears offense but how do we know what success either Wilson or Lawrence would have running the Bears offense?  We really don't.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 9:01 PM, Sugashane said:

I'm counting Love since he never took a pass last year, and is essentially a rivals redshirt rookie.

noooo.   You've been in league for a year you had best possible training.   You should be ready to Mahomes MVP

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

noooo.   You've been in league for a year you had best possible training.   You should be ready to Mahomes MVP

Lets just put Fields on IR so we can do the same and not ruin him.  /sarcasm

One of my issues is that OL, DL, and most positions have the same responsibilities regardless of doing scout team or rotating in - beat the guy across from you. Being second team often means you're going against starters so you could argue its an advantage in a way. When you step in the bulk of your job is similar. QBs aren't out to beat the guy across from them though. Its a fines and skill position that requires multiple reads and timing. Throwing a post to ARob, Mooney, and and Kmet are all different.

If an OL needs reps to get in sync then how the hell does a QB not need that with his receivers? It makes zero sense. Knowing a playbook, seeing coverages from the eagles eye, etc all help. Mental reps absolutely are something. But if that was enough you'd see a lot of back ups stepping in with little issue. There's a reason McCown's streak, Foles postseason run, and other similar scenarios are remarkable - because they're outliers. You see starters have great games and stretches of play but you don't normally see back ups in that position. Reps are a reason, even the best want the reps for a reason. Tell Mahomes or Brady that hes taking mental reps for the week. Idk how Mahomes would react but at minimum he'd be pissed I'd wager. Brady would cuss you out and take the reps anyway. Lol

• Like 2