Wheel of Time Season 2 (Sept 1 Amazon Prime)

The Gnat

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

Trailer looks 10000000000000000x more exciting than the slog of books (I made it into book four, I think). Hopeful, because I could use another good fantasy show.

I read the books...but boy. It was a struggle...even for the earlier books that were better (until Sanderson picked it up). Few authors have said so little with so many words as Robert Jordan. The show just has to be better.

8 hours ago, Xenos said:

I bought the first book for Way of the Kings. But only got to read the first few chapters before life happened. Need to get back to it again. But I’m always worried about starting a series that hasn’t finished yet. Made the mistake with GOT, and then The Name of the Wind.

So, two things:

1. With book one, if you get confused as to what's just happened about 1/4 - 1/3 way in, that comes with the territory. I remember the first time I read TWoK and hit the first break, I was like ... wait ... is this a different book? Stick with it. It will make sense.
  2. Sanderson is probably closer to Martin than Rothruss in that Sanderson has a ton of projects gong on. In Sanderson's defense, he generally follows through with his projections unlike Martin. Every December, he publishes an annual "State of Sanderson" based on here various books are in the process and where his focus for the coming year is. https://www.brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2020/ had him starting work on Book 5 around January 2022, with a publication target of August 2023.

Only other series I can think of that is this massive that regularly churns out book is the Expanse.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Woz said:

So, two things:

1. With book one, if you get confused as to what's just happened about 1/4 - 1/3 way in, that comes with the territory. I remember the first time I read TWoK and hit the first break, I was like ... wait ... is this a different book? Stick with it. It will make sense.
  2. Sanderson is probably closer to Martin than Rothruss in that Sanderson has a ton of projects gong on. In Sanderson's defense, he generally follows through with his projections unlike Martin. Every December, he publishes an annual "State of Sanderson" based on here various books are in the process and where his focus for the coming year is. https://www.brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2020/ had him starting work on Book 5 around January 2022, with a publication target of August 2023.

Only other series I can think of that is this massive that regularly churns out book is the Expanse.

Thanks for the information. That’s great to know about Sanderson. And it makes me even more upset at Rothrusd for not finishing the series. Just write a fourth book if he can’t finish the story in three.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Yeah...but not for one of the primary characters. Mat is arguably the most likable character in the series.

It will partially depend on where they end season one. There's a spot they could change over the actor and it would actually work thematically. Okay, technically two, but I am assuming that they would the first will be midway through season one. Otherwise, they would seriously be slow rolling the series.

1 minute ago, Woz said:

It will partially depend on where they end season one. There's a spot they could change over the actor and it would actually work thematically. Okay, technically two, but I am assuming that they would the first will be midway through season one. Otherwise, they would seriously be slow rolling the series.

That is actually a good point. I doubt that the change was planned though. Still has lots of potential…but the Mat character is REALLY important

16 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

That is actually a good point. I doubt that the change was planned though. Still has lots of potential…but the Mat character is REALLY important

Oh very much so. It is a high risk move, but if the guy wasn't working out, better to make the move quickly than wait.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Everything with vaguely middle age themed warfare and/or magic is going to be billed as the next GoT, at least until one of these hits. Really hits.

Very rarely do you have a shoe like that become a huge hit. And we now have 3 coming within the next year that will try to gain that success on huge budgets.

On 10/19/2021 at 1:34 PM, THE DUKE said:

Everything with vaguely middle age themed warfare and/or magic is going to be billed as the next GoT, at least until one of these hits. Really hits.

I hope LOTR and WOT does well. But I hope they don’t try to mimic GOT exactly especially the sex and nudity. Somethings belong in that world and not LOTR or WOT.

• Like 1