TNF Week 8: Miami (4-2) @ Baltimore (3-4)

cddolphin

Winner?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Winner?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/27/2017 at 12:25 AM

2 hours ago, lancerman said:

They wouldn't call a flag or have a suspension if that same play happened to a runner and Flacco clearly slid way too late and gave Kiko less than a second to adjust course. If your a QB you slide when nobody is within 10 yards of you. Otherwise it's just stupid and the QB should run every play and go down at the last moment to either get the most yardage possible and/or induce a flag.

It’s not the QB’s responsibility to not get concussed on a play. It’s the defender’s job to maintain safe play, not the runner’s (for the most part). Just like a WR that goes across the middle and as he’s falling, gets rocked by a shot that would’ve hit him in the chest had he been standing upright. It’s still the defender’s responsibility. So even if you think Flacco slid late (which I don’t), it doesn’t matter. 

If it was Flacco’s responsibility, they’d amend the rule that if the QB slides too late, then no flag. 

EDIT: For anyone who’s confused on why the QB is afforded extra protection, it’s because he’s the QB. Like it or not, the league would be worse off if they could be jacked up like a fullback when they become runners. Defenders love the chance to lay a big hit, especially on QBs, and they wouldn’t hold back. A QB going down may derail a whole team’s season and that would negatively effect the league’s quality.

5 hours ago, Buc Ball said:

If he’s being at all smart then he doesn’t hit a QB who’s sliding. He’s down where he gives himself up, so it’s not as if putting a hit on the QB saves the team a few yards.

It doesn’t really matter if he’s got previous or is labelled a dirty player or not. He’s made a conscious decision to put a hit on a sliding QB and he’s ended up launching his shoulder into the ballcarrier’s head, causing a concussion. That’s the risk he took, or maybe that’s what he was intending. We can only guess.

Either way, it lies somewhere between complete stupidity and malicious cheap shot.

After listening to the dude talk after the game, im leaning towards the first option

Am I the only person who thinks that Suh grabbing Mallett by the neck and throwing him backwards was far and away dirtier and more egregious than the Alonso hit or anything else that happened. 

I'm actually kind of shocked that it's not being talked about at all. Forcibly grabbing somebody by their neck is something that I consider to be a serious sign of aggression and malice. And then for Suh of all players to do it in a game to a quarterback? I still can't believe it honestly. He should be suspended. That's not just illegal by NFL rules....that's aggravated assault with intent to harm normally

3 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

Am I the only person who thinks that Suh grabbing Mallett by the neck and throwing him backwards was far and away dirtier and more egregious than the Alonso hit or anything else that happened. 

I'm actually kind of shocked that it's not being talked about at all. Forcibly grabbing somebody by their neck is something that I consider to be a serious sign of aggression and malice. And then for Suh of all players to do it in a game to a quarterback? I still can't believe it honestly. He should be suspended. That's not just illegal by NFL rules....that's aggravated assault with intent to harm normally

Agree that it's clearly worse and more blatant than the Kiko hit and is fine-worthy. GTFO with aggravated assault tho.

Can't help but laugh at Mallet's face though. Look at him. Suh picked him up off the ground with one hand like Darth Vader O.o

I'd probably react the same way if a grown man on a football field was choking me like that. You expect shoving or words to be exchanged, you don't expect a guy to almost choke slam you. I've never known the Dolphins to be a dirty team or have dirty players, but goddamn it seems like Suh really has rubbed off on other people there.

15 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Agree that it's clearly worse and more blatant than the Kiko hit and is fine-worthy. GTFO with aggravated assault tho.

Can't help but laugh at Mallet's face though. Look at him. Suh picked him up off the ground with one hand like Darth Vader O.o

People on here exaggerate to biggest extremes, so of course people are bring up these silly terms.

22 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Gtfo?

You are aware of what is deemed to be battery and assault and so forth right?

If somebody gets In your face, and your reaction is to grab them by the neck and try to throw them backwards, and the cops are involved, you're going to jail 99% of the time. It's not "being extreme".

Just now, BAConrad said:

You are aware of what is deemed to be battery and assault and so forth right?

If somebody gets In your face, and your reaction is to grab them by the neck and try to throw them backwards, and the cops are involved, you're going to jail 99% of the time. It's not "being extreme".

That's cool. I wonder what other things that occur on a football field would qualify as battery or assault if I acted them out on my coworker? Suh slapped a players arm away earlier in the game, so why not two assault charges? Helmet-leading hits which occur every week and are clearly outside the boundaries of what's allowed and serious harm can be / has been caused.. assault with a deadly weapon? Cops should just be waiting in the tunnels after the game with handcuffs ready.

9_9

4 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

It’s not the QB’s responsibility to not get concussed on a play. It’s the defender’s job to maintain safe play, not the runner’s (for the most part). Just like a WR that goes across the middle and as he’s falling, gets rocked by a shot that would’ve hit him in the chest had he been standing upright. It’s still the defender’s responsibility. So even if you think Flacco slid late (which I don’t), it doesn’t matter. 

If it was Flacco’s responsibility, they’d amend the rule that if the QB slides too late, then no flag. 

EDIT: For anyone who’s confused on why the QB is afforded extra protection, it’s because he’s the QB. Like it or not, the league would be worse off if they could be jacked up like a fullback when they become runners. Defenders love the chance to lay a big hit, especially on QBs, and they wouldn’t hold back. A QB going down may derail a whole team’s season and that would negatively effect the league’s quality.

It has more to do with the QB often being stationary in the pocket. Which is why those calls shouldn't happen outside of it 

6 minutes ago, RavensDefense3 said:

Kiko saw Flacco going down before initial contact, then lowered his helmet and shoulder and went for the kill with no intention of holding back.

I watched the video over 30 or so times. I watched it in half and a quarter speed. Flacco's knees start to buckle a fraction of fraction of a fraction of a second before Kiko lowers his body and he was already running at full speed. Combine that with Flacco having the weirdest looking slide ever and being at a 90 degree angle with the ground when Kiko is already launching towards him and the fact that from the moment Flacco's knee starts to go down to the initial hit only a single second has passed, it was pretty unavoidable. 

The worst you could say is that he was being aggressive anyways. Flacco needed to slide earlier. He got greedy and stayed up too long looking for the first down, got to a point where he realized a hit was near unavoidable, started going down as Kiko was beginning to lose his head and by that point the decisions were made and momentum did the rest. 

Just now, lancerman said:

I watched the video over 30 or so times. I watched it in half and a quarter speed. Flacco's knees start to buckle a fraction of fraction of a fraction of a second before Kiko lowers his body and he was already running at full speed. Combine that with Flacco having the weirdest looking slide ever and being at a 90 degree angle with the ground when Kiko is already launching towards him and the fact that from the moment Flacco's knee starts to go down to the initial hit only a single second has passed, it was pretty unavoidable. 

The worst you could say is that he was being aggressive anyways. Flacco needed to slide earlier. He got greedy and stayed up too long looking for the first down, got to a point where he realized a hit was near unavoidable, started going down as Kiko was beginning to lose his head and by that point the decisions were made and momentum did the rest. 

Sorry dude I have no idea what you're seeing. Kiko EYES Flacco as Flacco CLEARLY goes down, then Kiko lowers his helmet and pads and shows no signs of holding back.

14 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Don't you know, defenders are supposed to be able to react literally instantaneously and break the laws of physics to stop the momentum of their 225lbs+ bodies. Especially on a 3rd down scramble.

I'll be interested to see if he's fined or suspended this week.

Just now, RavensDefense3 said:

Sorry dude I have no idea what you're seeing. Kiko EYES Flacco as Flacco CLEARLY goes down, then Kiko lowers his helmet and pads and shows no signs of holding back.

Then you are clearly biased. Flacco and Kiko are 4 yards apart when Flacco initially bends his knee and he's still 90 degrees from the ground at 2 yards apart. This all happened in literally one second (Flacco starts going down to the contact with Kiko) so you are literally talk about maybe a 1/5 of a second of difference when Flacco starts going down and Kiko lowers his head and trying to play it off as Kiko "eyeing him". Sorry Flacco went down way too late. He tried to have his cake and eat it to and put himself in that position. 

2 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Then you are clearly biased. Flacco and Kiko are 4 yards apart when Flacco initially bends his knee and he's still 90 degrees from the ground at 2 yards apart. This all happened in literally one second (Flacco starts going down to the contact with Kiko) so you are literally talk about maybe a 1/5 of a second of difference when Flacco starts going down and Kiko lowers his head and trying to play it off as Kiko "eyeing him". Sorry Flacco went down way too late. He tried to have his cake and eat it to and put himself in that position. 

It's fine that you disagree, but I know what I saw, Kiko knew Flacco was going down before contact, lowered his helmet and shoulders(Why did he lower himself instead of maintaining his form????) and did not even try to hold back. A fine and a suspension will be coming, and deservedly so.

Archived