TNF Week 8: Miami (4-2) @ Baltimore (3-4)

cddolphin

Winner?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Winner?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/27/2017 at 12:25 AM

55 minutes ago, ///mcompact said:

I didn’t see the Shazier hit, but if it’s anything like what Kiko did to a QB giving himself up, there’s got to be something more than a fine to deter these types of damaging hits. 

Being that this happened on TNF, it will be discussed heavily tomorrow and the league will have to act like they give a crap about concussions by dropping the hammer on Kiko. That’s my guess. 

59 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Flacco gave himself up literally about half a second before the it and he still had a verticle base about 2 yards and change before the hit. He should have given himself up earlier if he wanted to avoid a hit. Kiko should have maybe kept his base higher to avoid a collision. But once you're running past the line of scrimmage as a QB you have to give yourself up before anyone is within  7 or 8 yards of you. It's pretty obvious Flacco was more concerned looking for the first and waited way longer than he should have to start sliding.

Well, whether it was intentional or a case of an unavoidable collision, tomorrow morning it will all be about the optics.  There will be clips of Flacco "looking" defenseless and Kiko laying the thunder to the point that Flacco was grasping for tweety birds.   What Joe-Blow-Casual will see is "Man...that guy took his head off!". Most of these concussion events, you see a guy with a helmet on laying down or being helped off the field.  Flacco's facial expressions and awkward mannerisms were on full display in prime time and it was an ugly look for the NFL.  That was the look of a guy that just endured brain trauma.  Had this happened on Sunday at noon to a rookie QB, the story would've been buried.  Not that TNF gets a lot of viewership, but this will be "a thing" tomorrow and the NFL will be forced to make a strong showing about  "player safety".  My gut says a 2-3 game suspension but it will probably be just 1 game.

I mean the fact that he's even going that low should indicate that he knew Flacco was going down. When was the last time you saw a defender try and go low on a running QB? Especially a pocket passer like Flacco. 

Coming from a guy who didn't determine intent with Trevathan or think Rodgers' hit was flag worthy, this one's a no brainer. IMO, best case scenario is that he was going to hit Flacco late and launched himself in there but didn't mean to hit his head. Worst case, he was aiming and hit his target. Either way, it's an easy flag and fine, possibly suspension. 

3 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Maybe? I don't know. I just don't know. He was still good last week and the Vikings ran the ball all over us. I think it was just more of a team effort this week.

I suggest you follow Ken McCusick and his podcast on Russelstreetreport. He breaks down Ravens games and are, as I consider, one of the most objective analysts out there. 

He pointed towards both very effective blocking, but also that the Vikings receivers did a really good job, which means we gave up a lot of yards with an extra DB on the field.

The QB slide rules are just stupid anyway, if you want to run with bulls you get the horn sometimes. Maybe make QB running illegal?

I didn't even bother watching the game as I generally don't enjoy watching random games, because the rules are ridiculously stacked against the defense as if they're not as important as an offense.

Flacco got a concussion while running for a first down, decided to use his get out jail card while simultaneously trying to steal more yards and Kiko said he'll naw!! 

How about suspending Jensen for hid ridiculous act after the play was over? Not sure why he is given the right to pummel another player without getting a flag?

as someone who lives on a whole different island thus sometimes still needs to ask questions to fully "get" the culture of the sport, how come when the QB turns himself in to a runner he's still afforded special protections? like say in rugby league when the hooker takes off in lieu of passing it he's not afforded special protection.

alonso's hit to me was kinda cheap but not dirty or late... to me it looked like he was going in for the big shot - and if it was a running back alonso whomped the reaction would be different. kiko alonso has no business turning himself into a human spear and trying to really lay one on to someone, but i've got to think this was just alonso putting on a big shot and flacco's slide causing it to go horribly wrong - but why is the qb so protected?

is it to do with the fact the quarterback is the face of the game?

again i'm not trying to say alonso is in the right - like i said he was solely focused on sledgehammering flacco - and it is a very bad case that flacco's wound up concussed and i do hope he recovers back to full working order.

10 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

If Trevathan got a suspension, Alonso should be getting one too.

Trevathan's hit on Adams would 6 out of 10 times not result in a suspense.   Do you know the similarities between Trevathan's hit on Adams and Kiko's (besides the fact that one looked more malicious)?

Spoiler alert: TNF. 

The NFL was on full public display during prime time (albeit, a Thursday). And just like that CHI-GB game hit, it would normally be buried if it occurred on Sunday, but the singular, prime time games leave lasting impressions on Joe-Public.

12 minutes ago, Shady Slim said:

as someone who lives on a whole different island thus sometimes still needs to ask questions to fully "get" the culture of the sport, how come when the QB turns himself in to a runner he's still afforded special protections? like say in rugby league when the hooker takes off in lieu of passing it he's not afforded special protection.

alonso's hit to me was kinda cheap but not dirty or late... to me it looked like he was going in for the big shot - and if it was a running back alonso whomped the reaction would be different. kiko alonso has no business turning himself into a human spear and trying to really lay one on to someone, but i've got to think this was just alonso putting on a big shot and flacco's slide causing it to go horribly wrong - but why is the qb so protected?

is it to do with the fact the quarterback is the face of the game?

again i'm not trying to say alonso is in the right - like i said he was solely focused on sledgehammering flacco - and it is a very bad case that flacco's wound up concussed and i do hope he recovers back to full working order.

Technically they're not. Any player COULD slide, and it'd be a penalty to hit them as they do it, but QBs are the only ones who are going to slide simply because they are just way too valuable to get hurt.

I'm going to defend Enrique here. Given that he's played for both Buffalo and Miami, I ought to have an idea if he's dirty or not, as my team faces him twice a year. Never noticed it before, and one hit doesn't make you dirty. Didn't see him in college though. Also, it's so easy to accidentally smack a QBs head whilst he's going down like that. Could he have pulled out? Yes, but I think he was going for the chest. Just Flacco was already on the way down. So, NOT a dirty player, for me. 

1 minute ago, ///mcompact said:

Trevathan's hit on Adams would 6 out of 10 times not result in a suspense.   Do you know the similarities between Trevathan's hit on Adams and Kikos (besides the fact that Kikos looked  more malicious)?

Spoiler alert: TNF. 

The NFL was on full public display during prime time (albeit, a Thursday). And just like that CHI-GB game hit, it would normally be buried if it occurred on Sunday, but the singular, prime time games leave lasting impressions on Joe-Public.

Pretty much.

For what’s its worth, I thought Trevathan was very unlucky to get a suspension and effectively paid for trying to make a tackle with terrible form.

For me, there’s definitely more malice in Alonso’s hit. These aren’t new rules. You can’t just launch yourself at a sliding QB’s head. Whether it will result in a suspension or not, I don’t know, but the NFL is backed into a corner by suspensions it’s previously issued.

Archived