Mike Mayock's recent comments

NYRaider

Just saying out loud what everyone already knows.  The guy has missed on almost every first round pick.  Only excuse is if Guenther said "these are my guys" and we drafted them and they all didn't pan out because Guenther is a rube.  We'll see what happens.  I think we have the potential to put it all together to become a playoff team this year.  Just need to go out there and deliver on both sides of the ball.  Stay relatively healthy at key positions and I think we can make the playoffs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

Just saying out loud what everyone already knows.  The guy has missed on almost every first round pick.  Only excuse is if Guenther said "these are my guys" and we drafted them and they all didn't pan out because Guenther is a rube.  We'll see what happens.  I think we have the potential to put it all together to become a playoff team this year.  Just need to go out there and deliver on both sides of the ball.  Stay relatively healthy at key positions and I think we can make the playoffs.

Publicly saying you're gone if the team sucks 3 days before the season starts is typically what GM's do.

Multiple 1st round draft picks over the last three years, including a top 5 pick and zero elite talent to show for it.  Tons of cap space in FA and zero elite players to show for it.  All of that cap money and we still lack proven talent and don't have much depth if key players go down.  

Oline is a major question, WR's are a major question with no proven talent, RB's are solid and we have depth, Waller is a stud. 

Dline is a question, especially our ability to rush the passer from the inside, we had to go dumpster diving for McCoy because Bradley clearly thought we had nothing. LB's all question marks and had to go dumpster diving for Wright a week before the season starts, CB's are just not good, Safeties are a major question with nothing proven.   

You add all of that up and Mayock is right, if we don't preform this year he is fired and rightfully so.

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Multiple 1st round draft picks over the last three years, including a top 5 pick and zero elite talent to show for it.  Tons of cap space in FA and zero elite players to show for it.  All of that cap money and we still lack proven talent and don't have much depth if key players go down.  

Oline is a major question, WR's are a major question with no proven talent, RB's are solid and we have depth, Waller is a stud. 

Dline is a question, especially our ability to rush the passer from the inside, we had to go dumpster diving for McCoy because Bradley clearly thought we had nothing. LB's all question marks and had to go dumpster diving for Wright a week before the season starts, CB's are just not good, Safeties are a major question with nothing proven.   

You add all of that up and Mayock is right, if we don't preform this year he is fired and rightfully so.

Look you can have your own opinions but not your own facts.  There is not a single GM that would not laugh in your face if you told them we went dumpster diving for Wright.  Wright was just ranked the 67th best player in the league by his peers.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Look you can have your own opinions but not your own facts.  There is not a single GM that would not laugh in your face if you told them we went dumpster diving for Wright.  Wright was just ranked the 67th best player in the league by his peers.

He's clearly lost a step at 32 and it's also clear his peers are not NFL GM's....

Why would all of those GM's who would laugh in my face , let the "67th best player according to his peers", sit in FA until 2 weeks before the season started when they could have had "the 67th best player according to his peers" for 3 million per year?  They all passed on the guy for months LOL 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

He's right we do have to start winning, however, if he did get fired I would say it's s scapegoat move by Gruden. 

Gruden is the guy who signs the moves off. Gruden is the guy who brought in his friend that was a terrible DC. Gruden is the guy that traded a HoF pass rusher then complained that pass rusher s are hard to find. Gruden is the one who wants the impulsive trades and Gruden hand picked his own GM.

If anything, I think we've backed ourselves into a corner and with the new scheme, new DC and new types of players we're looking for on D we have to really give them another year unless things go really bad. It makes no sense to bring in all those changes and then blow it up if we don't have a great season. I don't like that we have put ourselves in this situation but I just don't think it makes sense to change again. If we did have a real bad year then frankly, I'd be more inclined to fire Gruden and keep Mayock and Bradley and find someone who can work with those but I don't think that's a popular opinion. It's a horrible position to think about and the timing of the comments isn't great, strange to put that out there right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

He's clearly lost a step at 32 and it's also clear his peers are not NFL GM's....

Why would all of those GM's who would laugh in my face , let the "67th best player according to his peers", sit in FA until 2 weeks before the season started when they could have had "the 67th best player according to his peers" for 3 million per year?  They all passed on the guy for months LOL 

He had one of the best seasons of his career last year moving from WLB to SLB. 

How many teams needed a 4-3 OLB, there weren't very many signed in free agency at all this year. 

12 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

What quality defensive tackles were available this off-season? It was one of the weakest DT classes ever in the draft and there weren't any notable free agent DT's either. LB's are all question marks? Littleton should bounce back in a scheme that suits his strengths and KJ Wright is still a good player. We also have pretty solid depth there with Kwit, Perryman, and Morrow when he gets healthy. 

15 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

He's right we do have to start winning, however, if he did get fired I would say it's s scapegoat move by Gruden. 

Gruden is the guy who signs the moves off. Gruden is the guy who brought in his friend that was a terrible DC. Gruden is the guy that traded a HoF pass rusher then complained that pass rusher s are hard to find. Gruden is the one who wants the impulsive trades and Gruden hand picked his own GM.

If anything, I think we've backed ourselves into a corner and with the new scheme, new DC and new types of players we're looking for on D we have to really give them another year unless things go really bad. It makes no sense to bring in all those changes and then blow it up if we don't have a great season. I don't like that we have put ourselves in this situation but I just don't think it makes sense to change again. If we did have a real bad year then frankly, I'd be more inclined to fire Gruden and keep Mayock and Bradley and find someone who can work with those but I don't think that's a popular opinion. It's a horrible position to think about and the timing of the comments isn't great, strange to put that out there right now.

I agree that if we have a bad year Gruden needs to go, it wont happen but it should. 

We can only guess at the inner working of the Raiders organization and what the hierarchy is like.  We can speculate how much influence Mayock has on personnel but I'm not sure we'll ever know.  My guess is he has some but not as much as a GM should.  Gruden has the final say on all personnel moves and wants "his guys".

Mayock will be the scapegoat if things do not go well and Gruden will be around next season no matter what.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I agree that if we have a bad year Gruden needs to go, it wont happen but it should. 

We can only guess at the inner working of the Raiders organization and what the hierarchy is like.  We can speculate how much influence Mayock has on personnel but I'm not sure we'll ever know.  My guess is he has some but not as much as a GM should.  Gruden has the final say on all personnel moves and wants "his guys".

Mayock will be the scapegoat if things do not go well and Gruden will be around next season no matter what.  

Yeah Mayock is clearly the fall guy but to be honest if we can't turn it around in the next two years I expect Gruden to retire and return to the booth.

24 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

What makes you think it will be blown up if Mayock gets fired? 

If Mayock is fired I don't expect Gruden to be around much longer either. He'll probably give it one more go and if we fail to make the playoffs again hang it up and return to the broadcasting booth. Mark Davis won't fire him but I just can't see him sticking around if we're unable to make the playoffs in the next 2 seasons. That also aligns with Carr's timeline because his contract will be expiring so we'll likely have a new coach/GM and they'll probably want to bring in their own QB.

10 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

He wanted to much money.  The same reason why we waited.  Aaron Donald is probably the best player in the league but if he wanted more money than Mahomes most GMs would probably pass.  Wrightat $10 million is not a good deal and I would be mad if we signed him.  I said I expect Wright to get $4-5 million on a 1 or 2 year deal.  He came down on his price if what I read about what he wanted ($7 million a year) was correct and we came up from what we wanted to give him.  He might have lost a step but you could not tell last year.  He was still played extremely well last year.  Going dumpster diving is bringing back Sam Young not KJ Wright.  I hope he can maintain his level of play and stay healthy because he is older but he has not shown any signs of it yet.

40 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

He wanted to much money.  The same reason why we waited.  Aaron Donald is probably the best player in the league but if he wanted more money than Mahomes most GMs would probably pass.  Wrightat $10 million is not a good deal and I would be mad if we signed him.  I said I expect Wright to get $4-5 million on a 1 or 2 year deal.  He came down on his price if what I read about what he wanted ($7 million a year) was correct and we came up from what we wanted to give him.  He might have lost a step but you could not tell last year.  He was still played extremely well last year.  Going dumpster diving is bringing back Sam Young not KJ Wright.  I hope he can maintain his level of play and stay healthy because he is older but he has not shown any signs of it yet.

Do you have proof of this? 

There was zero market for the guy and if teams thought he was an upgrade over what they had at LB he would have never sat for months.  Are you saying that there was this hot market for the KJ, he turned down offers because he wanted more money and settled for 3 million to play in Vegas?  LOL