Mike Mayock's recent comments

NYRaider

1 minute ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Do you have proof of this? 

There was zero market for the guy and if teams thought he was an upgrade over what they had at LB he would have never sat for months.  Are you saying that there was this hot market for the KJ, he turned down offers because he wanted more money and settled for 3 million to play in Vegas?  LOL

Every report said he wanted what he was getting in Seattle and that at least we were waiting for his price to come down.  Only reason Seattle let him walk was to get their young guys on the field.  I never said teams were fighting over signing him.  What I said is that all GMs would laugh at you for saying we went dumpster diving for him.  I said the reason why he signed so late was that he wanted to much money.  We did not want to spend that much but after White and Morrow injuries we decided we needed to sign a starting caliber LB so we had to pay more.  KJ was not going to get what he wanted so his price came down.  None of this impacted his level of play.  His is still one of the top LBs in the league and the best LB on our team.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Every report said he wanted what he was getting in Seattle and that at least we were waiting for his price to come down.  Only reason Seattle let him walk was to get their young guys on the field.  I never said teams were fighting over signing him.  What I said is that all GMs would laugh at you for saying we went dumpster diving for him.  I said the reason why he signed so late was that he wanted to much money.  We did not want to spend that much but after White and Morrow injuries we decided we needed to sign a starting caliber LB so we had to pay more.  KJ was not going to get what he wanted so his price came down.  None of this impacted his level of play.  His is still one of the top LBs in the league and the best LB on our team.

Hahahaha Preseason homerism at its finest.... 

Show me proof of what you're claiming as to why he sat on the market for months and ended up signing for 3 million.  

If he is still one of the best LB's in the league he would have never sat for months and signed for 3 million.  Quit living in fantasy land and being a homer...  Wright was not a hot commodity, has lost a step and 31 other GM's let this guy sit in the market for months.

I bet you those GM's would laugh you out of the building if you said he is one of the best LB's in the NFL SMH  

Is KJ and upgrade over what we had, sure but that is not saying much.  He is a smart, seasoned, average LB at his advanced age....

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

6 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Show me proof of what you're claiming as to why he sat on the market for months and ended up signing for 3 million.  

If he is still one of the best LB's in the league he would have never sat for months and signed for 3 million.  Quit living in fantasy land and being a homer...  Wright was not a hot commodity, has lost a step and 31 other GM's let this guy sit in the market for months.

I bet you those GM's would laugh you out of the building if you said he is one of the best LB's in the NFL SMH  

Is KJ and upgrade over what we had, sure but that is not saying much.  He is a smart, seasoned, average LB at his advanced age....

You are right.  You know more than the players in the league.

https://www.nfl.com/news/k-j-wright-seahawks-free-agency-hometown-discount

Here is part of the reason why it took so long.  He wanted to go back to Seattle but they wanted to wait until training camp.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/07/latest-on-lb-k-j-wright

Wright is still in the top 30 paid off the ball LBs.  The reason why he is not getting more is age rather than play.  Not a single story that I have found says anything about his play dropping off.  At 31 he is a stop gap but he will still play at an extremely high level if he plays like he did last year.  And yes he was one of the top LBs last year.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Here is part of the reason why it took so long.  He wanted to go back to Seattle but they wanted to wait until training camp.

Wright is still in the top 30 paid off the ball LBs.  The reason why he is not getting more is age rather than play.  Not a single story that I have found says anything about his play dropping off.  At 31 he is a stop gap but he will still play at an extremely high level if he plays like he did last year.  And yes he was one of the top LBs last year.  

The first article was from Feb.  LOL

He was basically holding out hope that he could go back to Seattle and they passed.  Not a ringing endorsement for a player you claim is "one of the best LB's in the NFL".  If he was so good as you claim why would Seattle pass and then why would he have zero interest for months from 31 other GM's?  

He's 32 years old and physically declining.  Like I said he is an upgrade over what we have but that is not saying much.  The homerism on here is at an ATH this time of year, thinking a 32 YO KJ Wright is not only "one of the best LB's in the NFL" but will be this massive impactful player for us.  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

36 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I see your perspective completely. But I think the position he plays(happens to be the best in the league at). Isn't a very valuable position in the NFL anymore. I mentioned a few weeks ago that it's like being one of the best fullback in the league but a lot of the league doesn't really use fullbacks. So there's that

15 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

The first article was from Feb.  LOL

He was basically holding out hope that he could go back to Seattle and they passed.  Not a ringing endorsement for a player you claim is "one of the best LB's in the NFL".  If he was so good as you claim why would Seattle pass and then why would he have zero interest for months from 31 other GM's?  

He's 32 years old and physically declining.  Like I said he is an upgrade over what we have but that is not saying much.  The homerism on here is at an ATH this time of year, thinking a 32 YO KJ Wright is not only "one of the best LB's in the NFL" but will be this massive impactful player for us.  

He wanted to go back to Seattle.  They wanted to wait until after camp.  He was fine with that.  Yes it was from February and was talking about things to come.  They did not pass.  They talked about what role they wanted him to fill after camp and he did not want to do it and he probably wanted more money than they wanted to pay.  After he came to us but wanted more money than we were willing to give.  He was holding out for more money plus he would not have to play in the preseason.  When it came down to it our price probably went up and his came down.  Not that hard to understand.  Show me proof how he is physically declining other than you expect him to physically decline at his age?  Will he be an impactful player for our defense?  If he plays like last year he will be a top 3 player on our entire team.  Not that a LB can have a greater impact than a QB but you can argue that Wright was a better player at LB than Carr was at QB.

Edited by drfrey13
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

He wanted to go back to Seattle.  They wanted to wait until after camp.  He was fine with that.  Yes it was from February and was talking about things to come.  They did not pass.  They talked about what role they wanted him to fill after camp and he did not want to do it and he probably wanted more money than they wanted to pay.  After he came to us but wanted more money than we were willing to give.  He was holding out for more money plus he would not have to play in the preseason.  When it came down to it our price probably went up and his came down.  Not that hard to understand.  Show me proof how he is physically declining other than you expect him to physically decline at his age?  Will he be an impactful player for our defense?  If he plays like last year he will be a top 3 player on our entire team.  Not that a LB can have a greater impact than a QB but you can argue that Wright was a better player at LB than Carr was at QB.

86 combined tackles in 16 games meh....  A drastic decline from years past.  

Going to a new system with new players, not having Wagner (truly one of the best LB's in the NFL) next to him will hurt.

You can come up with all of the excuses you wan't but the fact remains that there was no interest in Wright for months into FA, he's 32 years old and is not only physically declining but also declining statically and signed for a measly 3 million.  

10 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I see your perspective completely. But I think the position he plays(happens to be the best in the league at). Isn't a very valuable position in the NFL anymore. I mentioned a few weeks ago that it's like being one of the best fullback in the league but a lot of the league doesn't really use fullbacks. So there's that

He's a 4/3 SLB.  Plenty of teams still run a 4/3D.  

If he was a top player as so many claim there would have been a market for his services.  There was not.  That is indicative of what NFL GM's feel about him.  Declining physically, declining stats.... Meh, I'm not that pumped about the signing but whatever floats your boat....

2 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Going to a new system with new players, not having Wagner (truly one of the best LB's in the NFL) next to him will hurt.

You can come up with all of the excuses you wan't but the fact remains that there was no interest in Wright for months into FA, he's 32 years old and is not only physically declining but also declining statically and signed for a measly 3 million.  

It is not a knew system.  He probably knows the system better than the rest of the defense.  Losing Wagner will suck but I think he will be okay.  If you think he is declining physically you did not watch any games last year. 86 tackles, 2 sack, 10 passes defensed, 11 tackles for a loss, and switching from his WLB to SLB.  The reason for the drop in tackles is the position switch.  That is why there was very little change in solo tackles but a big drop off in assisted tackles.  What he was asked to do changed.  So now we know he can play SLB or WLB at a very high level if we need him to.  Last year was a positive and not a negative.  What he signed for does not matter.  A stop gap LB is never going to get a big contract.  By your reasoning Littleton is a 2nd team all pro since he is the 5th highest paid LB.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

I caught a few Seattle games last year and though Wright played really well. He didn't look like he lost a step to me, even if he has his instincts make up for a lot too, I think he's the type of LB that, like Thomas Davis can play well into his 30s effectively. Complete linebacker and tremendous pickup for the cost of our third choice RB.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Do you have proof of this? 

There was zero market for the guy and if teams thought he was an upgrade over what they had at LB he would have never sat for months.  Are you saying that there was this hot market for the KJ, he turned down offers because he wanted more money and settled for 3 million to play in Vegas?  LOL

Didn't you know? 

The other 4-3 OLBs were ranked above him by their peers. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

He's a 4/3 SLB.  Plenty of teams still run a 4/3D.  

If he was a top player as so many claim there would have been a market for his services.  There was not.  That is indicative of what NFL GM's feel about him.  Declining physically, declining stats.... Meh, I'm not that pumped about the signing but whatever floats your boat....

In todays NFL, most teams run nickel so even if it's 4-3 there's usually only two linebackers on the field. And actually he put up what was Statistically his best year last year. But he's definitely declining physically so we'll see what it looks like this year. 

11 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Tackles are useless. Whitehead lead us in tackles. Only player with 10+ tackles for loss and passes defenses. Don’t tell me he’s washed.

14 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

He switched positions, in 2019 he played WLB where he was asked to play more in coverage and roam around. In 2020 he moved to SLB where he was asked to play more like a 3-4 OLB and take on blocks/be an anchor against the run. 

Seeing action at strongside linebacker, Wright earned the fifth-highest grade (75.3) at the position among qualified players.

It's quite remarkable how Wright continues to fly under the radar in many aspects now 10 seasons into his vastly underrated NFL career. All he did in 2020 was switch to strongside linebacker early in the season to replace an injured Bruce Irvin and start all 16 games, posting a gaudy stat line with 86 tackles, 11 tackles for loss, 10 passes defensed, 2.0 sacks, and an interception. He was the only defensive player in the entire league to yield double-digit tackles for loss and passes defensed, proving himself to once again be a lynchpin for Seattle's defense. Yet he once again missed out on making the Pro Bowl and despite his impressive production, he hasn't been re-signed by the Seahawks or joined any other team to this point. Wherever he does wind up in 2021, he looks to have plenty of great football left in him.

Edited by NYRaider