Fitzpatrick likely out indefinitely - Hip Subluxation

MikeT14

So if Heinecke plays out the season like he played against the Giants but does so limiting the mistakes what happens at the end of the year? He’s under contract for what would have to be the biggest bargain in the league, does he hold out in hopes of getting a new deal?

Yes, I understand how ridiculous this is to even bring this up but he’s approaching the point where this is who he is. Every time he’s gone on the field for this team he’s basically played well. I’m one of the biggest pessimists here so I’m fully expecting the bottom to drop out of this Heinecke thing but if it doesn’t I can’t imagine he plays for the deal he’s under next season. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, lavar703 said:

So if Heinecke plays out the season like he played against the Giants but does so limiting the mistakes what happens at the end of the year? He’s under contract for what would have to be the biggest bargain in the league, does he hold out in hopes of getting a new deal?

Yes, I understand how ridiculous this is to even bring this up but he’s approaching the point where this is who he is. Every time he’s gone on the field for this team he’s basically played well. I’m one of the biggest pessimists here so I’m fully expecting the bottom to drop out of this Heinecke thing but if it doesn’t I can’t imagine he plays for the deal he’s under next season. 

I’m with you, he could totally be our Romo, it’s possible. I, like you expect him to be average at some point once defensive coaches review film & figure how what to defend him and then he won’t be putting up 300 yard 2 TD games, but we’ll see.

I don’t think Heinicke would hold out for a new contract next year if he plays well the rest of the year, but to me the question becomes should we give him a contract extension if he does?

I think we should but the $ amount becomes fuzzy for me.

Edited by turtle28

On 9/16/2021 at 9:17 PM, Thaiphoon said:

For the 1000th time. None of the other QBs we would've signed were going to be our QBOTF.

I keep saying his name but no one seems to be hearing me: Jameis Winston?

I guarantee you had Washington shown a modicum of interest in signing Winston, he wouldn't have signed with New Orleans on a one year deal for $5.5M. He only stayed in New Orleans because no one was willing to give him a true shot at the starting gig.

Now, I'll buy your argument that if you wanted to give Heinicke the best chance of starting in 2021 that Fitzpatrick was the right call. However, they also basically anointed Fitzpatrick the starter when they signed him (no one really believed the "there will be a real competition"). So, I don't think they wanted to see if Heinicke could actualy be a long term answer either.

On 9/16/2021 at 9:17 PM, Thaiphoon said:

I said at the time, you play Haskins no matter what. 

No.Matter.What

It did two things. Either he continued to suck, in which case your draft position for one of the QBs in 2021 got better. Or he improved, in which case you might be able to unload him for a late 3rd day pick. We did neither.

It also showed the owner who was personally invested in Haskins that he wasn't a viable answer in DC.

18 hours ago, lavar703 said:

If he plays like he did against the Giants the rest of the way, the front office would be insane not to give him a new deal as fast as is humanly possible(*). Letting even the chance of guy who could be your QB of the "near future" (he is 28 after all) hold out or walk away after next season is insanity.

(*) I want to say that they have to wait at least one year before they give him a new contract, so February 10, 2022.

25 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Winston re-signed in New Orleans right away, I don’t even think he really considered going anywhere else. Maybe if we showed a lot of interest & paid him more, that would’ve been different but I don’t know he really seemed set on going back to NO.

He resigned immediately because there was no one during tampering who would say "yeah, we'll give you a starting gig."

Like I said, a modicum of interest was all that was needed. He only got that from the Saints.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I want to wait. But if your scenario comes to pass? Then you take a look at who is available in FA and in the draft and how much you like/love them. Then if you don't think they are an improvement over Heinecke, you sign him to a longer deal. How much will be the issue. But I don't think you do it for a Rodgers type of deal. I'll have to think more about it.

Now, if you DO like one of the guys in the draft and can get them? You get them and then you still give Heinecke a raise. Good play should be rewarded. It sends a great message to the rest of the team and potential FAs

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I want to wait. But if your scenario comes to pass? Then you take a look at who is available in FA and in the draft and how much you like/love them. Then if you don't think they are an improvement over Heinecke, you sign him to a longer deal. How much will be the issue. But I don't think you do it for a Rodgers type of deal. I'll have to think more about it.

Now, if you DO like one of the guys in the draft and can get them? You get them and then you still give Heinecke a raise. Good play should be rewarded. It sends a great message to the rest of the team and potential FAs

So far these QBs in the draft next year really aren’t impressing me immensely short of Corral from Mississippi but I need to see more of him.

Rattler was just meh today. Same with the other QBs in the early games.

Sam Howell had a good 1st quarter & half of the 2nd but then he threw an awful int into the end zone getting too greedy & while His #s are great for a half (67%, 249 yds, 3 TDs & 1 int) his int totally changed the momentum.

The Virginia QB, Brennan Armstrong is outplaying him, 78%, 364 yards & 3 TDs in the first half!! 😱

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Nothing against Fitz, but so really don’t want to see him play for us. I just don’t see the point in it at his age and now the injury, I really never did understand the signing to begin with as everyone already knows. I hope Heinicke or Kyle Allen get to finish the season. 

• 3 weeks later...