Fitzpatrick likely out indefinitely - Hip Subluxation

MikeT14

On 9/13/2021 at 11:15 PM, mar29020 said:

long term this is best case. We see what we have with taylor, if he sucks we have nobody else and we get a good qb.

Yeah, that was actually my motto this season or what I’d rather see over signing Fitz since we didn’t draft a QB. I’ve always wanted to see what Heinicke and/or Kyle Allen could do but of course, I would’ve also rather us draft a QB like Fields, Jones or even someone after round 1 to compete with them too.

I’ve never been one to be on this bandwagon that if we can just get a Fitz type starter that he’ll do enough & our D will play lights out and then we’ll be winning playoff games.

I’d rather watch the younger guys play/develop & show if they have it or not. The core of our team is young and still developing, I’ve never understood the need to sign a QB like Fitz given that this team is years away from being a real contender & they’ll need a young QB who we’ve drafted & developed - or to trade for a good vet - to make us a contender.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I just can’t get over how different the franchise outlook would be right now if Mac Jones or Justin Fields entered the game after Fitz got injured. 

You can imagine this and hoped this was the case but this scenario never would happen after getting Fitz in March, RR wasn’t drafting Fields/Jones. Fields or Mac Jones would have been a nice pick for us. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

You can imagine this and hoped this was the case but this scenario never would happen after getting Fitz in March, RR wasn’t drafting Fields/Jones. Fields or Mac Jones would have been a nice pick for us. 

Yup. I said elsewhere that RR wouldn't have traded up to take them. And it's why we signed Fitz. 

Now, if we had ended up at the 10th (or I think 12th) pick? I think they think long and hard about Fields or Jones at that point. But outside of Wilson and Lawrence, there was no way they were trading up for anyone not named Trey Lance

11 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I just can’t get over how different the franchise outlook would be right now if Mac Jones or Justin Fields entered the game after Fitz got injured. 

Yeah, I said that on Twitter in response to someone after Fitz got hurt. I’m right there with you. What a huge failure by Rivera & company this offseason bc they failed to improve the most important position on the field and add a QB high to develop and instead they rolled w/ Scotty’s drinking buddies Heinicke & Kyle Allen.

Heck, even if it was Kellen Mond or Kyle Trask who had entered the game  after Fitz was hurt, the franchise outlook would look different/better than now having to rely on Heinicke & Kyle  Allen.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

One Hundred Sgn GIF by SomeGoodNews

Yep, Rivera saw Fitz as his upgrade the QB position & he and Scotty believe Heinicke or Kyle Allen could be their long term option and they want to give them every last opportunity before moving on from them. It’s just freakin sad. 

11 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yup. I said elsewhere that RR wouldn't have traded up to take them. And it's why we signed Fitz. 

Now, if we had ended up at the 10th (or I think 12th) pick? I think they think long and hard about Fields or Jones at that point. But outside of Wilson and Lawrence, there was no way they were trading up for anyone not named Trey Lance

Which is why I didn’t want to sign Fitz at all or a QB like him. For me, It was either trade for/sign a younger QB w/ upside or draft a QB to compete w/ Heinicke & Kyle Allen. What a waste of a year for the young core/talent on this team. Just a waste of them in their prime. Just awful. Our only saving grace for this season is if Taylor Heinicke or Kyle Allen shock the world and play like a good starter the rest of the season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

What a waste of a year for the young core/talent on this team. Just a waste of them in their prime. Just awful.

It’s really this part, more than anything else. 

I keep hearing about how we’ll take someone this year now. Putting aside the issue of whether anyone good is going to end up being within reach this year, the one-year delay in itself is a cause for despondence. 

The defense is good enough to compete now. I still believe that after week one. I’m not convinced they’re going to push for the top spot in the league at this point, as we hoped they might — but they’re good enough to compete with pretty much any other defense they come up against. I also think the offensive roster, aside from QB, is good enough to compete IF you have a good QB and a good defense. Not good enough to match up with really complete offensive groups like TB and CLE, but solid enough to keep up (especially if being elevated by a good QB). 

But all that means little, because barring the ultimate miracle, we just aren’t going to have the QB play. And so another year will slowly tick off the contracts (and the primes) of our young core, while we continue to be too risk-averse to shoot for anything other than reliably mediocre at QB.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

It’s really this part, more than anything else. 

I keep hearing about how we’ll take someone this year now. Putting aside the issue of whether anyone good is going to end up being within reach this year, the one-year delay in itself is a cause for despondence. 

The defense is good enough to compete now. I still believe that after week one. I’m not convinced they’re going to push for the top spot in the league at this point, as we hoped they might — but they’re good enough to compete with pretty much any other defense they come up against. I also think the offensive roster, aside from QB, is good enough to compete IF you have a good QB and a good defense. Not good enough to match up with really complete offensive groups like TB and CLE, but solid enough to keep up (especially if being elevated by a good QB). 

But all that means little, because barring the ultimate miracle, we just aren’t going to have the QB play. And so another year will slowly tick off the contracts (and the primes) of our young core, while we continue to be too risk-averse to shoot for anything other than reliably mediocre at QB.

It’s a total black mark on Rivera. We had nothing at QB going into this season and his answer was Fitz. I know they tried for Stafford and I know they went after Goff but trading up for Fields or Jones was within reach and wasn’t that costly. Would giving up a first to move up for Fields really have been too much for this team to spare with how it’s currently constructed? Maybe but having either one of those two come on the field when Fitz went down would change the way I felt about this teams future. Right now it feels like the road to nowhere. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

It’s a total black mark on Rivera. We had nothing at QB going into this season and his answer was Fitz. I know they tried for Stafford and I know they went after Goff but trading up for Fields or Jones was within reach and wasn’t that costly. Would giving up a first to move up for Fields really have been too much for this team to spare with how it’s currently constructed? Maybe but having either one of those two come on the field when Fitz went down would change the way I felt about this teams future. Right now it feels like the road to nowhere. 

Yep, you know how I love Rivera and think he was the right guy for us to hire given everything going on with this organization and what all needed addressed but I’m right here with you on this.

Its like Grant Paulsen said on the radio yesterday, Rivera seems to believe that you can win it all in this league w/o a good to great QB - especially w/ his comment in defending Heinicke in saying that lesser QBs have won a Super Bowl - but I think he’s wrong. This isn’t the NFL of 15-40 years ago. Today you need a good to great starter and as Danny pointed out, heck Rivera should know this, he made the Super Bowl with Cam Newton who was a #1 overall pick and franchise QB.

The idea that we can get by w/ just an average starter & great defense in the way this league is officiated & constructed today couldn’t be further from the truth.