Sacksonville: The Next Orange Crush/Legion of Boom?

everlong

Just now, tonyto36 said:

But Peyton Manning as a zombie also wasn't trusted to throw the pass more than 10 yards downfield.

Granted that's about the same with Bortles, but at least the Jags have the threat of passing it deep.

Bortles could win the Super Bowl.  He's been just as good as Joe Flacco was leading up to the Ravens winning the Super Bowl.  He can't this year though because I don't care how good a team is, they're not winning the Super Bowl without any playoff experience whatsoever.  Next year's a possibility.  This year?  Not so much. 

If they can beat Seattle or @ TEN then I think the buzz will grow. Great depth and role players in Yannick, Colvin, even Fowler has the talent to capitalize on opportunity. 

Titans, Pitt, NE, LAC match up well and can throw the ball. Much like against the Rams game JAX can't make ST mistakes and get behind the 8ball, which enables the other team to go run balanced. 

All falls on the consistency of the defense.. Teams that much up well can stack the run on defense and run the ball, grind it and hope Bortles makes mistakes. Problem is if he doesn't Fournette is bound to wear your defense out in the 4th quarter. So instead you try to get an early lead by throwing and that can backfire.

Hence this is why defense and power back like Fournette or Jamal Lewis can win championships. If they face a great QB and they get ahead just make sure not to panic and keep running the ball. 

19 minutes ago, matt27j said:

If they can beat Seattle or @ TEN then I think the buzz will grow. Great depth and role players in Yannick, Colvin, even Fowler has the talent to capitalize on opportunity. 

Titans, Pitt, NE, LAC match up well and can throw the ball. Much like against the Rams game JAX can't make ST mistakes and get behind the 8ball, which enables the other team to go run balanced. 

All falls on the consistency of the defense.. Teams that much up well can stack the run on defense and run the ball, grind it and hope Bortles makes mistakes. Problem is if he doesn't Fournette is bound to wear your defense out in the 4th quarter. So instead you try to get an early lead by throwing and that can backfire.

Hence this is why defense and power back like Fournette or Jamal Lewis can win championships. If they face a great QB and they get ahead just make sure not to panic and keep running the ball. 

That's the main positive really. Most playoffs teams have great QB's/passing games. That would play to our strengths. The teams that want to play the same way we do would give us more fits (run, run, and run some more).

33 minutes ago, matt27j said:

Titans, Pitt, NE, LAC match up well and can throw the ball.

Jags should be most afraid of the teams that can run the ball and don’t need to use the pass to set it up. Out of potential playoff teams, the Chiefs and Titans stand to do the most damage to our defense imo.

Hmm...Jimmy G in Jacksonville? But would the Jaguars bet the future on what could very well be the next Rob Johnson, Scott Michell, or Matt Flynn? That would be so sad. 

If I'm a Jags fan i'd rather see him go somewhere and turn out to be a boss, then to get him and have him just be a complete hoax. 

41 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I don't know if Bortles is good enough to pull a Dilfer.

Bortles is better than Dilfer, but Jacksonville's defense is nowhere near the caliber of the Ravens' defense in 2000, since the Ravens were elite run-stoppers...and Jacksonville doesn't know how to do so.  

4 hours ago, iPwn said:

Jags should be most afraid of the teams that can run the ball and don’t need to use the pass to set it up. Out of potential playoff teams, the Chiefs and Titans stand to do the most damage to our defense imo.

My thinking on Pit and LAC is they both have great backs as well as great QBs, which when it comes to 3rd downs and TO's makes all the difference compared to forcing Bortles into 3rd and longs. 

NE never know what they are going to do. Chiefs and Titans definitely and also have more dependable passing games. Oakland is the one that JAX could give fits.

It'll be interesting to see. I think Bortles can make plays with Lee and Lewis like he has been but the big plays have to come from the run game, D, or ST.

38 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Comparing Bortles to zombie Manning is unfair to Manning.

Come on.

Manning threw 9 TDs in 9 starts (rounding down for his benefit). Bortles has already thrown 9 in 7 games.

Manning threw 17 picks in 10 games (rounding up for his benefit). Blake is on track for under 11.4 (round up to 12 if you want) in 16.

Manning has 6.8 yards per attempt. Blake has 7.1.

Manning’s passer rating was 67.9. Blake’s is 85.5.

Blake hasn’t been good at all. But let’s not compare him negatively to the husk of a player that Manning was that year.

6 minutes ago, matt27j said:

My thinking on Pit and LAC is they both have great backs as well as great QBs, which when it comes to 3rd downs and TO's makes all the difference compared to forcing Bortles into 3rd and longs. 

From seeing this team, it’s much more about having a run game that sets the tempo for the offense. They have made QBs look foolish basically all season and have stifled offenses that use the pass to set up the run (see the Steelers game).

Where they run into trouble is the offenses like the Titans and the Rams that set the tone with a physical run game and use the pass off of that. They still stifled Mariota and Goff when they played him, but they couldn’t get the impact sacks or turnovers the way they have been able to against teams that use the pass to set up their offense.

22 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

33 sacks is great, but 25 of those have come in 3 games, and 20 of them in 2. Their pass rush is still great but it's not quite record breaking level on a consistent basis, it's being propped up to that level by a couple monster games, which is how I feel about their defense as a whole. It's pretty damn good overall, but it's not consistently great like you see from the Seahawks and Broncos. While their offensive woes can be blamed for some of the issues, when I've watched the games they've lost, their defense doesn't look the same. It didn't dominate the Jets offense quite like you'd expect it to with the massive talent differential. Gurly had his way with it in the St Louis game. Their pass rush did all of nothing against the Titans o-line.

They need to figure out a way to become more consistent(that's their team, and damn near every team in the NFL at this point though).

Those sacks still count. Good defenses take advantage of bad offenses...and that’s what the Jags have done this year. I don’t think this is there year...but they’ll probably find a competent QB over the offseason...and I’d be shocked if they aren’t a real threat going forward. 

40 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

but they’ll probably find a competent QB over the offseason...and I’d be shocked if they aren’t a real threat going forward. 

Really, their ability going forward is going to hinge not only on finding a QB, but also on whether they can find someone to replicate what Campbell is doing once he begins to decline. That front works because of him and they’re not nearly as scary if he doesn’t create the problems he does.

59 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Those sacks still count. Good defenses take advantage of bad offenses...and that’s what the Jags have done this year. I don’t think this is there year...but they’ll probably find a competent QB over the offseason...and I’d be shocked if they aren’t a real threat going forward. 

Yea, I like how no one counts the extreme games, especially when they happen more than once.  An elite offense is supposed to destroy a bad defense, and vice versa.

Archived