Urban Meyer rumors thread

.Buzz

4 hours ago, pwny said:

There’s 125 FCS college football teams, and 129 FBS teams that make up Division I college football. The FCS is the top division and typically play all but one game per year vs each other, and typically 0-1 games vs a FCS team. Only a small percentage of those players are good enough to make it to the NFL.

Then college programs with FCS have clear tiers of play. There’s certain programs where everyone wants to be, whether it’s because the college spends a ton of money that others don’t spend on training equipment and things like that, or they have coaches that are really good at developing players, or they’re a historically great team with a lot of history that it’s worth going to, or they’re seen as legitimate contenders for a National Title, or players know that a lot of college scouts will be at every single game to get a showcase for the next level. Those programs tend to be where practically every single 5 star high school recruit goes. So those programs tend to have a roster that’s close to like the equivalent of a AAA baseball team, a whole roster of guys who will get a chance to prove they’re good enough to make it in the NFL, whereas many other teams might only have 3-4 of those guys or maybe nobody at all.

So a lot of the college game is built on recruiting just better players to go stomp on worse teams, being able to guide these elite talents towards becoming elite players, and calling plays that take advantage of your severe gap in talent. And a lot of the play calling at that level is in using a massive difference in speed or strength to just overwhelm the opposing team.

The NFL, however, unless you’re a team like the Jaguars and have thrown away your roster in the name of a complete overhaul and rebuild (and because Tom Coughlin and Dave Caldwell were pricks) are filled with teams who have a much, much closer talent gap. Pretty much every team has — give or take 1-2 — the same number of superstar players and has the rest of the roster that’s relatively comparable. It then becomes much more about not just having the best players, but having players that work together well to fit a certain scheme you have planned, having players who can handle different things that the opponents do and exploiting minor talent gaps. It becomes more about having a depth to your roster that can sustain an injury, and finding guys that other teams missed that can contribute. You’re not going into every game but 1-3 with a severe talent advantage, you’re going to a somewhat evenly matched game and every minor imperfection has a chance of showing up in a big way, because nearly every team has a way to exploit those imperfections.

It’s just different, and requires more precision and technical mastery on a day to day basis. And a lot of guys who get by on just being able to sell a player on the reasons why they want to join a superstar college team find that they have no means to do the things that actually work for them at the NFL level. 

Yes it does make sense. When you think about there being 250 Universities or Colleges you them there that even one or the most successful will struggle.

14 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I thought I'd post this here.  Tim is possibly one of the people who is closest to Urban and his family, and his insights are interesting. 

On another note, I never cease to be impressed with Mr. Tebow.  What a great young man. 

A guy who is super close to Urban and his family and instead of talking to them directly (like a good friend would, if that’s what you’d consider them) he goes on First Take with Stephen A and speaks his opinion about it on live TV.

How delightful indeed.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, .Buzz said:

A guy who is super close to Urban and his family and instead of talking to them directly (like a good friend would, if that’s what you’d consider them) he goes on First Take with Stephen A and speaks his opinion about it on live TV.

How delightful indeed.

Really?  You actually believe that Tebow didn't talk to the Meyer family about the situation beforehand, and instead just decided to go on the show to spout his own opinion on the matter?  Seriously?  

Did he say anything you have a problem with?  Was there anything he said that you think Urban or his family would have had a problem with? 

Edited by Uncle Buck

5 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Really?  You actually believe that Tebow didn't talk to the Meyer family about the situation beforehand, and instead just decided to go on the show to spout his own opinion on the matter?  Seriously?  

Did he say anything you have a problem with?  Was there anything he said that you think Urban or his family would have had a problem with? 

How does him going out on National TV and spewing his opinion about someone’s personal relationship (that both Urban and Shelly could very well have been ok with, not all marriages are the same), much less someone that you’re close with like they appear to be, worthy of praise regardless?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, .Buzz said:

How does him going out on National TV and spewing his opinion about someone’s personal relationship (that both Urban and Shelly could very well have been ok with, not all marriages are the same), much less someone that you’re close with like they appear to be, worthy of praise regardless?

It was a case where he went out there publicly and acknowledged that Urban made a very bad mistake, and while they are close friends, he still doesn't condone Urban's actions.  At the same time, he wants to give him a chance to redeem himself and regain the respect and trust that he had lost.  I think it was Tim's main goal to pass this message on in hopes that other people in the locker room and in the media would consider what he said and then be willing to do the same.

I felt it worthy of praise because he handled the situation very well and his message even made me reconsider my stance.  Since the very first time the news came out, I had been of the opinion that Urban deserves to be fired.  His actions tarnished the reputation of the team, and made it almost impossible to retain his status of the team leader.  I appreciated Tim's thoughtful response and message of forgiveness - even when Urban did something that Tim likely thought was reprehensible.

I hate to belabor this thing, but I keep going back and forth on Urban. 

What do the rest of you Jaguars fans think about the following: 

- Should he have been fired right away? 

- Should they fire him after the London game during the bye week if we get blown out?

- What should be required for Urban to keep the job at the end of the season?

- Do you think Urban has what it takes to develop Trevor and get us a Super Bowl win?  

Just now, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Why would he have been?

With the benefit of hindsight, he probably shouldn't have been, but I have to admit that firing him was my first impulse when the news came out.  I just thought that what he did could have really had an impact on the respect he has in the locker room.

After thinking about it for a few days though, I'm glad he wasn't fired immediately.  At the same time, when I see him in press conferences, my opinion of him has definitely changed, and that makes me wonder what the players must be thinking. 

For as much as people said Urban needs to treat the players as adults and not kids going from college to pros, it's odd that people think their opinions would be so significantly impacted by a finger in a bum or not flying back with the team when most didn't even realize he wasn't on the plane until the story broke. 

The more concerning aspects are how things seem to point to him being too hands off and lacking attention to detail during games and what could be interpreted as deflecting blame in interviews.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 7:15 PM, Adrenaline_Flux said:

For as much as people said Urban needs to treat the players as adults and not kids going from college to pros, it's odd that people think their opinions would be so significantly impacted by a finger in a bum or not flying back with the team when most didn't even realize he wasn't on the plane until the story broke. 

The more concerning aspects are how things seem to point to him being too hands off and lacking attention to detail during games and what could be interpreted as deflecting blame in interviews.

I feel like you really danced around a truly heroic hands on/hands off payoff here.  It's right there.  But it's not quite there.  I just really want this to be better.  To go all that way, and not quite drive it home...idk...

Why do I feel like that one win removed any mention of Urban being on the hot seat? A week ago everyone had Urban as one and done now the national media has gone quiet.

Unless some more off the field stuff comes out with Urban, I’m not sure Khan will fire him. Khan doesn’t seem like a fire someone after one year kind of guy.