EDGE rushers

lark25

@Ozzy GK had a 38" vert against Travons 35.5", that goes into the side by side comparison too.

Your question is the question I am asking. Everybody is saying Travon is a freak and I'm saying GK is perhaps on par or close athletically.

16 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True but JJ Watt had a 6.88 3 cone at 290 pounds being 6-5 and had a bench press of 34 reps at 225 with 34" arm length.  But sure Karlaftis time if legit is impressive but Travon Walker again was physically more impressive and he is taller, heavier and longer.  

George Karlaftis 6-4 266  32 5/8" arms  6.78 3 cone, 4.71 40, 121 broad jump, 4.36 short shuttle

Travon Walker 6-5 272 35 1/2" arms  6.89 3 cone, 4.51 40, 123 broad jump, 4.32 short shuttle

So if one guy is oh wow look at that, why is the other guy not?  And sure maybe the man is right in his quote but again if you do not want the questions then finish at the QB and produce if you are so great.  But yeah he had a solid showing at the Pro day which will help him.  He has had to overcome a lot, death of his father, family moving to the US after his fathers death, his girl friend almost died in a car wreck, so he has been through a lot.

The strawman arguments you make are truly baffling. I didn't say anything about Travon Walker. That dude wowed people to such an extent with his athleticism that he's now in the running to be the #1 overall pick. So how are you going to act like people didn't think his measurables were impressive? WTF?

I've already responded to your point about production.

P.S. Karlaftis's freshman production almost matches Travon Walker's career production. Are you holding Walker's lack of production against him?

Interesting prospect, better athlete I guess in terms of his performance running and at the combine but looking at the dude on th efield you would not think it.  I really dislike his lack of variety in pass rush moves, he does not have many pass rush moves at all and if he does not win with quickness off the bat or a bull rush he is limited.  If a guy gets his hands of him not sure he can always get off unless he over powers the dude and that is clearly not going to happen nearly as much in the NFL.  He has work to do that is for sure, but still unlike what the dude says he is not always blocked by like a million dudes, so come on get off the block and get some variety in your pass rush. 

That's completely wrong. Karlaftis utilizes a number of pass rush moves and has a varied approach. His pass rush plans and savvy are fairly advanced for his age.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I think explosiveness ( measured in VJ and BJ)  are the key for any edge rusher.  You can have explosiveness and fail in the NFL but there are no players without the explosive jump/first step who are even JAG edge rushers.  Karlaftis is explosive enough.  People might worry that he is maxed out and that is fair.

I mean Jermaine Johnson had a 32” vert same as Jordan Davis 

13 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The strawman arguments you make are truly baffling. I didn't say anything about Travon Walker. That dude wowed people to such an extent with his athleticism that he's now in the running to be the #1 overall pick. So how are you going to act like people didn't think his measurables were impressive? WTF?

I've already responded to your point about production.

P.S. Karlaftis's freshman production almost matches Travon Walker's career production. Are you holding Walker's lack of production against him?

That's completely wrong. Karlaftis utilizes a number of pass rush moves and has a varied approach. His pass rush plans and savvy are fairly advanced for his age.

Karlaftis utilizes a number of pass rush moves?  What is that?  Quick off the snap and bull rush?  He does not use his hands very well at all, if he did he would have got far more sacks.  The guy goes straight forward and again is a bit odd he is single blocked so often in that highlight tape, the guy that apparently is double and tripled teamed constantly.

Yeah Walker's production was lacking but before this year he was just a backup mostly.  And in terms of his play he was standout this year and more impressive especially in big time games, but sure the combine put him ahead because of the athletic ability he showed at that massive size.  Athletically he is light years ahead of Karlaftis and his length is far more on par to typical length of a potentially great NFL edge guy.  

I would have no clue you like Travon Walker because all you seem to talk about is George Karlaftis.  Aidan Hutchinson is far harder to deal with on the edge because he has a variety of pass rush moves and uses his hands way better at this point in time than Karlaftis.  That is why he had a great season and Karlaftis kind of disappointed in terms of getting home to the QB.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Karlaftis utilizes a number of pass rush moves?  What is that?  Quick off the snap and bull rush?  He does not use his hands very well at all, if he did he would have got far more sacks.  The guy goes straight forward and again is a bit odd he is single blocked so often in that highlight tape, the guy that apparently is double and tripled teamed constantly.

Yeah Walker's production was lacking but before this year he was just a backup mostly.  And in terms of his play he was standout this year and more impressive especially in big time games, but sure the combine put him ahead because of the athletic ability he showed at that massive size.  Athletically he is light years ahead of Karlaftis and his length is far more on par to typical length of a potentially great NFL edge guy.  

I would have no clue you like Travon Walker because all you seem to talk about is George Karlaftis.  Aidan Hutchinson is far harder to deal with on the edge because he has a variety of pass rush moves and uses his hands way better at this point in time than Karlaftis.  That is why he had a great season and Karlaftis kind of disappointed in terms of getting home to the QB.  

What are you top 6 edge rankings

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I would have no clue you like Travon Walker because all you seem to talk about is George Karlaftis.  

Because nobody is claiming that Travon Walker isn't a great prospect or is incapable of "finishing" due to his college production. But I have in fact talked about Travon Walker quite a bit. Here's one example:

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

This is wrong again. I'll respond to this later with examples.

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

he is single blocked so often in that highlight tape, the guy that apparently is double and tripled teamed constantly.

Well yeah it’s a highlight video. Show me a highlight video that is full of double and triple teams for any edges? They aren’t going to highlight him opening up rush paths for other players. 

• Like 1

Covers a bit here. Highlights his fast hands and you see a few inside and outside moves. Also seeing some decent agility in those moves.

Funny that the sideline chase was talked as something he won't need to do in the pros but shows he's a legit 4.7 long speed. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

The only reason there's a debate is that nobody was doubting Travon Walker or Aidan Hutchison to the same level.

I have jumped on because I flagged Karlaftis as most underrated a while back. 

10 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

What are you top 6 edge rankings

I would say this but it is hard because some guys are only a 3/4 OLB and some could do 4/3 DE or 3/4 OLB or 3/4 DE.  Not considering the injury I had Ojabo ahead of Karlaftis because he is better at bending the edge and getting around the tackle and is far more raw and has more potential, sure after the injury that could change and scare some teams.   Bonitto is a dude and as a 3/4 OLB could be a massive problem but sure is not great at the point of attack, he can really bend though.  Close call with Boye who is overall a better athlete I feel than Karlaftis but depends on what teams are picking.  Sam Williams had a great year and Ebiketie did as well, Sanders kind of disappointed this year but as a 3/4 OLB he could do well and Tyree Johnson I wish could have worked out, at times he is a blur off the edge.  Anderson obviously could be higher but those legal issues are a concern and Malone who be a fine 3/4 OLB who is a natural pass rusher.

Aidan Hutchinson Michigan
Kayvon Thibodeau Oregon JR
Travon Walker Georgia JR
Jermaine Johnson Florida State
Nik Bonitto Oklahoma RS JR
David Ojabo Michigan RS SOPH

George Karlaftis Purdue JR
Boye Mafe Minnesota RS
Sam Williams Ole Miss
Arnold Ebiketie Penn State
Myjai Sanders Cincinnati
DeAngelo Malone Western Kentucky RS
Tyree Johnson Texas A&M RS
Adam Anderson Georgia

Nic Bonitto is around 28% I believe in pass rush win rate, was not included on this list below.  Is odd with Jermaine Johnson being that low, apparently it looks different because he got so many sacks, he converted 30% of his QB rushes into sacks which is almost twice the average which is 16.8% sacks on rush attempts.  

Aidan Hutchinson: 24.8% (4th / 224)

George Karlaftis: 23.6% (5th)

Kayvon Thibodeaux: 23.1% (6th)

David Ojabo: 18.9% (23rd)

Jermaine Johnson: 14.1% (73rd)