EDGE rushers

lark25

8 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I don't get it either.  Seems like a lot more dreaming on potential for Mafe.

Thibs
Hutch
Karlaftis
Walker
Williams
Johnson
Ebiketie
Bonitto
Jackson
Ojabo
Mafe
Sanders
Enagbare
Thomas

Maybe but Mafe did have a great Senior Bowl as well which is also helping him in this process not to mention doing great in the workouts physically.  He is worth a late 1st round pick or early 2nd round pick no question.  But yeah like most the deep class could hurt him.  If he falls to the 2nd or 3rd he is a steal.  

If this is a list in order I think you might have Johnson and Walker a bit too low, but sure Sam Williams could take that spot for teams in need of a 3/4 edge rusher if Thibs, Johnson and Bonitto and or Ojabo are gone Sam Williams could come into play as well.  

On 4/4/2022 at 7:30 AM, THE DUKE said:

There's going to be a ton of differences of opinion after the top two.  I'm not entirely sold on Travon Walker either.

Walkers lack of production kind of scares me as a top 5 pick. Especially with a stacked defense such as Georgia's. It's something people don't  really talk about. 

1 hour ago, SHONUFF said:

Walkers lack of production kind of scares me as a top 5 pick. Especially with a stacked defense such as Georgia's. It's something people don't  really talk about. 

I'd be more concerned if Travon Walker didn't produce on a less stacked defense. At least on Georgia Walker can beat his assignment, but another NFL caliber player made the play before. A won rep is still a won rep even if they stat sheet doesn't grow.

On 4/4/2022 at 9:30 AM, THE DUKE said:

I'm not entirely sold on Travon Walker either.

And that's fine.  You're going to see something like Rashan Gary if everything clicks for him.  Probably a better version of him, which is saying something.  But you don't usually see guys their size move that well, so you're betting that your coaching staff can develop him.

4 hours ago, SHONUFF said:

It really is.  And it's the same complaints people had with Rashan Gary.  The production wasn't there, but those traits/athleticism are just so rare that it's going to be hard to ignore.  If he had the production to match, we'd be talking about a lock for the #1 overall pick.

17 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And that's fine.  You're going to see something like Rashan Gary if everything clicks for him.  Probably a better version of him, which is saying something.  But you don't usually see guys their size move that well, so you're betting that your coaching staff can develop him.

Agreed, and Travon Walker did have a great season this past year which helps.  But what really put him over the top was that combine, who would have thought he could run like that?  Which puts him in the category of a 3/4 OLB potentially and he could be a monster there.  Also really impressive he holds up on the line of scrimmage so well and can hold the edge also.  

Still no clue how the Jaguars do not go for Evan Neal #1 overall and put him at RT and take out Jawaan Taylor.  Unless they still like Taylor or they like Little which makes sense but Little is a LT.  What because Evan Neal did not workout and run they do not pick him #1 overall?  Teams could get a steal if he drops past #1 in the draft.

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Agreed, and Travon Walker did have a great season this past year which helps.  But what really put him over the top was that combine, who would have thought he could run like that?  Which puts him in the category of a 3/4 OLB potentially and he could be a monster there.  Also really impressive he holds up on the line of scrimmage so well and can hold the edge also.  

Travon Walker was absolutely not productive.  As much as you've "dogged" Karlaftis for his "lack" of production, he's as productive as Walker was.  LIS, you're hoping that he's Rashan Gary all over again.

11 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Still no clue how the Jaguars do not go for Evan Neal #1 overall and put him at RT and take out Jawaan Taylor.  Unless they still like Taylor or they like Little which makes sense but Little is a LT.  What because Evan Neal did not workout and run they do not pick him #1 overall?  Teams could get a steal if he drops past #1 in the draft.

I think you go EDGE, and then plan on going with Robinson/Little as your tackles.  Draft someone to develop.

On 4/3/2022 at 7:27 PM, kingseanjohn said:

I've seen Boye Mafe mocked to the Chiefs at 29/30 a lot lately, so I watched some more tape.

I don't get it. I don't see anything special and his career numbers reflect that. The biggest positive that I took away was that he appears to play disciplined; didn't really over pursue, played within the scheme, didn't noticeably improvise, etc. A lot of his highlight plays were just against poor competition who made bad choices or whiffed on their block without Mafe making a move to cause it.

Someone sell me on him.

Traits

On 4/4/2022 at 6:09 AM, THE DUKE said:

I don't get it either.  Seems like a lot more dreaming on potential for Mafe.

Thibs
Hutch
Karlaftis
Walker
Williams
Johnson
Ebiketie
Bonitto
Jackson
Ojabo
Mafe
Sanders
Enagbare
Thomas

No Paschal?

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Travon Walker was absolutely not productive.  As much as you've "dogged" Karlaftis for his "lack" of production, he's as productive as Walker was.  LIS, you're hoping that he's Rashan Gary all over again.

I think you go EDGE, and then plan on going with Robinson/Little as your tackles.  Draft someone to develop.

Keep in mind Gary did very little his first 2 years, has had 1 good season with a good d-line and other teams giving smith more attention.

Yeah he surprised me, but he needs to back it up this year for me to be convinced 

Edited by lark25

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Travon Walker had more sacks than Karlaftis did and no question made bigger plays in bigger moments against much better competition game in and game out.   He also arguably had less opportunities considering they were not always asking him to get after the QB and instead hold the edge.  

The Jaguars do have Josh Allen and Chaisson who both have great potential as edge guys, and got free agent Oluokun who is a tackling machine.  But sure they will get an edge but why not later on.  Neal just seems to be a great fit but now they really need a center so who knows what they do.  

Before people go judging Walker for his lack of production, they need to understand the position he played and what he was asked to do. If he were in a different position, he were a Jack, or a base end in a even front, he would have been way more productive. People who know football know this, he couldn't just wildcat it like other guys, but what he did made the defense go.

Edited by MSURacerDT55

On 4/3/2022 at 10:27 PM, kingseanjohn said:

I've seen Boye Mafe mocked to the Chiefs at 29/30 a lot lately, so I watched some more tape.

I don't get it. I don't see anything special and his career numbers reflect that. The biggest positive that I took away was that he appears to play disciplined; didn't really over pursue, played within the scheme, didn't noticeably improvise, etc. A lot of his highlight plays were just against poor competition who made bad choices or whiffed on their block without Mafe making a move to cause it.

Someone sell me on him.

Saw him mocked to the Bucs and went and looked myself

couldnt agree more

i dont get it

and wouldnt want to spend a 1st on him

7 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Before people go judging Walker for his lack of production, they need to understand the position he played and what he was asked to do. If he were in a different position, he were a Jack, or a base end in a even front, he would have been way more productive. People who know football know this, he couldn't just wildcat it like other guys, but what he did made the defense go.

Production isn't my issue with him. It's his lack of development as a pass rusher and being the last guy out of his stance that concern me. Would it stop me from taking him in Round 1? Nope. Would it stop me from taking him in the top 5? Maybe. Would it stop me from taking him in the top 2? Yes.

• Like 2