What to do at QB?!

hornbybrown

My thoughts from an earlier thread....somehow someway Jimmy G time...make him the highest paid QB in the league to get him to cleveland if the Pats don't retain him.

Josh Rosen is not a better prospect than Kizer despite Deshone's awful turnover play this year.

If Sam Darnold comes out take Darnold immediately.

Lamar Jackson is not Hue's type of QB but would love to see what he could become if he can make the jump.

On 8/13/2017 at 11:01 PM, Mind Character said:

At the end of the season, we are going to have to make some big decisions regarding QBs.

The following QBs are scheduled to hit the market as UFA unless franchised or extended within the season:

1. Drew Brees

2. Matthew Stafford

3. Kirk Cousins

4. Jimmy Garoppolo

5. Teddy Bridgewater

6. Sam Bradford

7. Derek Anderson

The relevant RFAs are as follows:

1. AJ Mccaron

It's unlikely that Deshone Kizer shows he's the franchise guy in one season as rookie QBs struggle and it's risky to put all your eggs in on one even if they have a very strong rookie season. We have the draft and salary cap capital. It's our time and we have to strike while the irons hot.  Even if Kizer balls out, we still need to go after another one as insurance.

The big name free agents like Drew Brees or Stafford won't come anywhere close to Cleveland. They'll likely be franchised or extended to long-term contracts during the season or soon thereafter.

However, there are some interesting names that could either be brought in as QB1s or starter upside QB2s.

What should we do?

If Kizer balls out, should we still take a QB high in the draft if presented the opportunity? Should we make Cousins or Jimmy G the highest paid QB in the league? If Kizer plays like a rookie QB with some good some bad should we use our draft capital to go get a Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, or Luke Falk (assuming Darnold goes 1 to the Jets)? Should we wait on Kizer and instead invest in a cheaper QB1 option like Sam Bradford, AJ Mccaron, and Derek Anderson and hope Kizer can beat them out?

Next year's free agency is going to be wild...........

If we get Jimmy G or Kirk, we'll have to make the highest paid QB in the league (especially if Brees and Stafford's contracts set the market price). That's a lot of cap space. That then puts Kizer on ice. Maybe he stinks it up this year and that's the best option....but if he balls out do you pass on one of the top QB free agents?

I think if New England is smart they will franchise Jimmy G at the end of the season. If they don't, I'm all in on Jimmy G next season; however, a lot of people think that he's going Shannahans way to the 49ers.

I'm not a big Kirk Cousins fan but he'd help us progress the position.

Beyond those names, Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Bradford are very interesting alternative options. A healthy bridgewater is like an Alex Smith; however, Sam Bradford would do wonders in Hue Jacksons offense. There are injury concerns but if the Vikes push all in on Teddy if say he recovers from injury, I really wouldn't mind a Sam Bradford backed up by a surging/developing Kizer.

Worse comes to worse we sign AJ Mccaron as the affordable QB1. His nfl snaps thus far and film have been outstanding and far surpass Jimmy G. I did an extensive write up on it back on the old site where I went through all his games and broke it down. Needless to say...I believe Mccaron is misunderstood due to perceived personality flaws and pre-draft media rumors/innuendo. What he's put on film in limited action is strong in terms of showing off a plus arm with touch and accuracy. All things that I doubted he had coming out of Bama...I admit I bought into all the predraft rumors.

The best thing about Mccaron as a consolation prize is that he'll be substantially cheaper and therefore the perfect place holder in the event that Kizer or one of the soon to be drafted QB rookies wins out next years QB competition.

Remembered this discussion from a while ago...

Jimmy G we may need you....Sashi and Hue make it rain on Jimmy...

I don't care anymore...make him one of the highest paid QB in the league so he takes a plane ride to cleveland...

I'm losing it... I knew what a rookie QB would bring...but I can't do it anymore...

Get Jimmy here...and at worse pay him 27 mil a year for 2 years then cut him if it doesn't work out

Jimmy G this time next year...

200w.gif#28-grid1

Don't franchise him Bill...just don't do it...

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

We'll franchise Jimmy (I secretly think this could be Brady's last year), but I think you've got to go all in on the QB that's the best prospect in the draft. You'll probably have #1 pick, and it will probably be Rosen touted as the best. IMO, just do it. @Mind Character

Yeah I can't see Hoodie letting Garoppolo go now. If he wasn't going to keep him, he'd have traded him last offseason when his value had peaked.

At this point I think they have every intention of him being their qbotf.

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

We'll franchise Jimmy (I secretly think this could be Brady's last year), but I think you've got to go all in on the QB that's the best prospect in the draft. You'll probably have #1 pick, and it will probably be Rosen touted as the best. IMO, just do it. @Mind Character

Is there any realistic possibility whatsoever that you carry both QBs?

I too think this could be Tom's last year with the Pats. They clearly like Jimmy much more than any previous backup and it's a stomach churning thought to give away the next 10-15 years of franchise QB play.

It's also stomach churning to imagine Brady in different colours.

I have a feeling he could be in Jacksonville next year...

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah I can't see Hoodie letting Garoppolo go now. If he wasn't going to keep him, he'd have traded him last offseason when his value had peaked.

At this point I think they have every intention of him being their qbotf.

Hopefully. We've had 15 years of having the best looking QB in the league, I don't want that to end with Brady's retiring :D

I'm sure people are getting slightly too high on Jimmy though. He's often spoken of as the potential saviour, but he makes some pretty egregious mistakes, as well as looking like a natural franchise QB.

1 minute ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I too think this could be Tom's last year with the Pats. They clearly like Jimmy much more than any previous backup and it's a stomach churning thought to give away the next 10-15 years of franchise QB play.

Tom has a team friendly contract (he's like the 18th highest paid QB) so, possible. I'm not good on the whole financial/salary side of football, I couldn't give you a good analysis on that. I would be very surprised if Tom played for anyone else though.

@lancerman ?

Just now, Hunter2_1 said:

Hopefully. We've had 15 years of having the best looking QB in the league, I don't want that to end with Brady's retiring :D

I'm sure people are getting slightly too high on Jimmy though. He's often spoken of as the potential saviour, but he makes some pretty egregious mistakes, as well as looking like a natural franchise QB.

Anyone who looks like they could potentially be a competent starter is going to get overhyped.

He's not the next Brady, but he could be a quality starter.

4 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Tom has a team friendly contract (he's like the 18th highest paid QB) so, possible. I'm not good on the whole financial/salary side of football, I couldn't give you a good analysis on that. I would be very surprised if Tom played for anyone else though.

@lancerman ?

So here's the issue. Tom Brady himself has consistently said every year that he wants 5 more years. He's never said anything like "well I'll retire with the Patriots" or "when coach thinks I'm done, then I'm done". Also worth noting that Brady and Belichick don't have a close relationship outside of football. So if it comes to a point where Belichick thinks "we got Jimmy, I can't spend another year holding this off when I don't think Tom has that much left", I don't know if Brady goes off into the sunset. 

I do think Kraft views Brady as a son and would sweeten whatever exit they had for Brady (IE Brady's probably not getting traded, they'll do what the Colts did for Peyton and let him go his own way). So I don't think Brady spends his last few years with a team that's rebuilding. I could see him heading to the Broncos where they are a QB away from being the best team in the league. Or better yet Houston where they can have Watson sit behind him and learn while Brady gets to play on a well built team with familiar faces. 

12 minutes ago, lancerman said:

So here's the issue. Tom Brady himself has consistently said every year that he wants 5 more years. He's never said anything like "well I'll retire with the Patriots" or "when coach thinks I'm done, then I'm done". Also worth noting that Brady and Belichick don't have a close relationship outside of football. So if it comes to a point where Belichick thinks "we got Jimmy, I can't spend another year holding this off when I don't think Tom has that much left", I don't know if Brady goes off into the sunset. 

I do think Kraft views Brady as a son and would sweeten whatever exit they had for Brady (IE Brady's probably not getting traded, they'll do what the Colts did for Peyton and let him go his own way). So I don't think Brady spends his last few years with a team that's rebuilding. I could see him heading to the Broncos where they are a QB away from being the best team in the league. Or better yet Houston where they can have Watson sit behind him and learn while Brady gets to play on a well built team with familiar faces. 

Really? That is quite possibly the most depressing thought I've had today. lol. 

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Can't a guy dream.....

Yeah, Rosen is a lesser prospect than Mahomes, Trubisky, and Watson imo.

He's a see it; throw it player with great over the middle accuracy, touch, and anticipation.......Rosen's a super slowfooted athlete that is going to go down on sacks constantly b/c he doesn't have blitz avoidance athleticism or awareness.

I'd rather go Lamar Jackson if we must draft someone.

But secretly hoping Darnold gets into an argument with his coach that sends him to the pros.

Not opposed to starting a gofundme to get someone to sow division in that program just so Darnold gets to the pros...

8 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Can't a guy dream.....

Yeah, Rosen is a lesser prospect than Mahomes, Trubisky, and Watson imo.

He's a see it; throw it player with great over the middle accuracy, touch, and anticipation.......Rosen's a super slowfooted athlete that is going to go down on sacks constantly b/c he doesn't have blitz avoidance athleticism or awareness.

I'd rather go Lamar Jackson if we must draft someone.

But secretly hoping Darnold gets into an argument with his coach that sends him to the pros.

Not opposed to starting a gofundme to get someone to sow division in that program just so Darnold gets to the pros...

I have no idea on any college players. I kept hearing how this class of QBs is a once in a generation class though. Guess that's been put to bed? 

If there's a QB with a quick release, has the intelligence to know when he's going to be blitzed (so, not Rosen then), thrives in a simple quick passing game, then that's a guy a team like Cleveland should be going for, IMO. Massive laser throws downfield, or throwing on the run etc takes a back seat. Just keep it simple. Dinking and dunking and avoiding turnover plays wins games. 

Are there any of those out there?

Just now, Hunter2_1 said:

I have no idea on any college players. I kept hearing how this class of QBs is a once in a generation class though. Guess that's been put to bed? 

If there's a QB with a quick release, has the intelligence to know when he's going to be blitzed (so, not Rosen then), thrives in a simple quick passing game, then that's a guy a team like Cleveland should be going for, IMO. Massive laser throws downfield, or throwing on the run etc takes a back seat. Just keep it simple. 

Are there any of those out there?

Yeah...his name is Sam Darnold.

Matt Waldman from RSP Film does a good Job analyzing and ranking QBs.

Preliminarily he has 1. Lamar Jackson, 2. Sam Darnold, and a distant 3rd. Josh Rosen

Belief is that Lamar Jackson's pocket passing  and pocket awareness is being underrated due to his superior running skills; he's a guy that just needs a drop back plan via his OC but can do it all.

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

Yeah...his name is Sam Darnold.

Matt Waldman from RSP Film does a good Job analyzing and ranking QBs.

Preliminarily he has 1. Lamar Jackson, 2. Sam Darnold, and a distant 3rd. Josh Rosen

Belief is that Lamar Jackson's pocket passing  and pocket awareness is being underrated due to his superior running skills; he's a guy that just needs a drop back plan via his OC but can do it all.

Darnold would be who I was looking at then. I'd personally stay away from QBs who can run, because I think history shows they constantly fall back on that. 1st read covered, 2nd read covered; and I'm off. But that's just me. 

5 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

i just dont see Tom Brady leaving NE. They put up a dang banner of his face when he got himself suspended last year, and he's still playing at a high level. I honestly think they've had their eye on someone in this upcoming draft and are gonna flip JG for a first round pick, maybe to the Browns, and ride out the rest of tom's contract

Archived