Saquan Barkley Pick is looking like a bad pick

Vladimir L

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Does that make sense?

Its cost prohibitive to go up that high when you are drafting 25-30 like the top teams. It would take either (2) firsts or your entire draft. Bad value.
Especially since you can grab a Gurley, Gordon or LeVeon Bell on the open market for pennies on the dollar

• Like 3

So torn on this. Predraft I was against the pick. But like all fans do when they get picked and it actually happens, you get excited. We had OBJ, Engram, Shepard and Saquon. That’s a lot of talent. Rookie season he showed his value.

The problem is that the Giants in building around him have done a terrible job even putting aside the injury. Terrible. Get rid of the one receiver that commanded attention over the top. The Giants have never showed any desire or competence to build around him as centre piece. This team hasn’t had a good o-line in like over a decade now at least in run blocking. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

So torn on this. Predraft I was against the pick. But like all fans do when they get picked and it actually happens, you get excited. We had OBJ, Engram, Shepard and Saquon. That’s a lot of talent. Rookie season he showed his value.

The problem is that the Giants in building around him have done a terrible job even putting aside the injury. Terrible. Get rid of the one receiver that commanded attention over the top. The Giants have never showed any desire or competence to build around him as centre piece. This team hasn’t had a good o-line in like over a decade now at least in run blocking. 

The Giants just drafted Toney and signed Golloday, they've tried to put pieces around Daniel Jones. It's difficult to really even judge Saquan at this point, he was incredible during his first two seasons but he's just getting healthy again. That run against WFT showed he still has the juice and I think as the year goes on if Daniel Jones can continue to improve as a passer and be a threat as a runner it will open up a lot for Saquan. I just think it's tough because you want to get him a ton of touches but it's almost impossible to stay healthy when you're getting 25-30 touches every week. We've seen it with Saquan, Gurley, McCaffery, etc. 

Your team is in a weird spot, you have the pieces defensively to be competitive, Jones flashes, and you've added other weapons. But I think the biggest issues are Saquan's health, Judge being a mediocre coach, and a lack of good OL play. 

Yeah, RB in the first is generally a bad idea.  And don't come at me with the why not WRs argument.

As for why WR is different: because you can consistently find waiver wire RBs that can do a RB1 job.  Are they as good as an elite RB?  No, but the dropoff isn't that big.

It's supply and demand.

Hindsight is 20/20. Like most fans I'm against taking a RB in the top 10, but Saquon was tremendously exciting, and right out of the gate he was producing like the generational talent we thought he was. But poor coaching, staff turnover, and injuries are all taking their toll.

I love the kid personally; he's a class act all the way and one of my favorite players on the team. I just hope we build a better team around him before it's too late.

• Like 1

I like the player but they’ve broke him. They should’ve shut him down I think his rookie season when he missed some action but gutted it out thru a bad injury and finished the season even though his team had zero shot at the playoffs.

I think they  still could’ve saved his career by drafting Najee Harris after trading down from the Justin Fields spot. Harris is a wrecking ball but has been vocal that he thinks Saquon is the best back in the NFL so you bring him in and tell Saquon no more playing hurt dude we got another bad dude to help you with the marathon of the season and beat up the defense and slow them down for ya. But they drafted Kadarius Toney instead and now Saquon is already breaking down again. Maybe it was inevitable idk

7 minutes ago, Kirill said:

I like the player but they’ve broke him. They should’ve shut him down I think his rookie season when he missed some action but gutted it out thru a bad injury and finished the season even though his team had zero shot at the playoffs.

I think they  still could’ve saved his career by drafting Najee Harris after trading down from the Justin Fields spot. Harris is a wrecking ball but has been vocal that he thinks Saquon is the best back in the NFL so you bring him in and tell Saquon no more playing hurt dude we got another bad dude to help you with the marathon of the season and beat up the defense and slow them down for ya. But they drafted Kadarius Toney instead and now Saquon is already breaking down again. Maybe it was inevitable idk

He just had a crazy explosive run last week and is like 23 years old, lol.

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He just had a crazy explosive run last week and is like 23 years old, lol.

Doesn’t matter that team is going to break his back eventually few running backs in NFL history can carry a crappy incompetent organization for too long before breaking down. Especially in today’s league they protect everyone but the running back.

Edited by Kirill

31 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Doesn’t matter that team is going to break his back eventually few running backs in NFL history can carry a crappy incompetent organization for too long before breaking down. Especially in today’s league they protect everyone but the running back.

The Giants have tried to ease him back in, he only has 26 touches through the first 2 weeks.