Trevor Lawrence is looking like a bad pick for the Jags

notthatbluestuff

7 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Breaking News: Rookie QB not throwing TD’s with bad supporting cast and bad coaching staff.

Time to move on from him.

Breaking News: it's okay to admit he's been a disappointment and it doesn't mean he's always going to be bad. 

He's been bad.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

It has.

And yet I think just about everyone in there right mind watching him right now would still take him every single time over all of the other rookie QBs you speak of, and is why we’ll likely have our choice of any of these HCs in a couple weeks.

Ehhhh I'm not so sure of that.

3 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Ehhhh I'm not so sure of that.

What are you seeing on tape that’s worrying you? What will hold him back that you’re seeing if he has a functional coaching staff/some additions from a weapon perspective?

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

What are you seeing on tape that’s worrying you? What will hold him back that you’re seeing if he has a functional coaching staff/some additions from a weapon perspective?

Ah yes, the watch the tape bros are out to get me.

Long, slow throwing motion. Inability to elevate talent around him- remember he was supposed to be a generational prospect. Feels like he's not running as much as he did in college and using his legs some.  At some point, you can't just always blame the supporting cast. Zach Wilson just beat him throwing to Braxton Berrios and Tyler Kroft. Like I said, Davis Mills has put together games where he's shown you something. 

Don't think the gap from Lawrence and Fields, Jones, etc. is as big as you think. But it's just the drops man, you're right.

• Like 3

On 12/23/2021 at 6:23 AM, iknowcool said:

I don't think you should ever pass on a QB as highly touted as Lawrence, but rookie Peyton had Marshall Faulk and Marvin Harrison.

And faulk was traded the very next year cuz he was a distraction/affecting chemistry. 

And fwiw Marvin was just a guy averaging around a lil over 800 yards before Peyton. 

3 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Long, slow throwing motion. Inability to elevate talent around him- remember he was supposed to be a generational prospect. Feels like he's not running as much as he did in college and using his legs some.  At some point, you can't just always blame the supporting cast. Zach Wilson just beat him throwing to Braxton Berrios and Tyler Kroft. Like I said, Davis Mills has put together games where he's shown you something. 

Don't think the gap from Lawrence and Fields, Jones, etc. is as big as you think. But it's just the drops man, you're right.

Holy **** 😂

Long slow throwing motion..... you think Byron Leftwich is still under center?

Shame on Trevor for his receivers not getting separation and dropping passes. 

Zach Wilson just averaged a 4.7 aDoT yesterday. His arm was not the reason why they won. He could have easily been picked 3 times yesterday but you wouldn’t have known that by looking at box scores.

42 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Yesterday was the first full Jags game I watched in a while and Lawrence seems to be dealing with some minor issues. For one this is the first time in his life he's not on the best team, or close to it, on the field every game. His skill players aren't the best, his coaching isn't the best. It's just a lot for him because he's literally never dealt with it. He's also showing mechanical flaws that he was able to get away with because of reason number one. Jags need to invest into build a wall for him up front, I think that was the most notable thing about performance. We didn't get much pressure on him but when we did he looked pretty bad.

Good summary. I'll continue to compare Lawrence to Rory McIlroy, who is the ultimate tease as a golfer. He can look like the best in the world when the situation allows the driver to dominate. But change the dynamic and all of a sudden all of the weaknesses show up, like wedge game and pathetic decision making. Lawrence was absurdly overhyped based on the Alabama championship game when the driver dictated. One downfield dagger after another. Fans were mesmerized and assumed every game would unfold like that. Then from the opening stretch of games the following season you could see the decision making problems when opponents schemed to take away the driver. Lawrence forced passes and had a flurry on interceptions the first 3 games.

Mac Jones and Trevor Lawrence are opposite. With Jones every pass is touch. That's great when the offense is dictating and play action thrives. But when the defense gets pressure Jones starts to look small and his arm isn't good enough to drive the ball. It's still lollipop tendencies. Jones may improve in that area. I've seen it many times as young quarterbacks enter their mid 20s.

Lawrence has the javelin delivery. He'll never have ideal variance of pace and loft. When the Jaguars were trying to rescue the game  yesterdayI knew darn well Lawrence would default to one line drive after another. They worked for him early in the drive. But once it was tight red zone all he can see is windows. There's no such thing as moving around to create a rainbow over a defender. Fewer permutations. That's all the difference in Lawrence and the elite guys. The second down line drive should have been intercepted by Moseley. Then the incomparably stupid decision to spike the ball on third down. Just imagine the public ridicule if that play happens with Urban Meyer still head coach.

Javelin throwers can have great careers. Elway had anything but ideal touch, although it improved late in his career. But overall I'd always prefer a guy like Burrow, who doesn't have Lawrence's arm but he can adjust tempo and arc to fit the evolving requirements of the play.

The gap between Burrow and Lawrence in that regard was glaring over the final 3 quarters of that championship game.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Sorry for asking you for legit reasoning behind your post besides “lol he has barely any TD’s.” Big ask around here to expect an actual analysis outside of looking at a box score when you give an out there take.

Cant say I see either of those as legit reasons (nor accurate) but too each their own.

4 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Last post on this matter: I am fully ready for Trevor to randomly have the game of his career against the Patriots on Sunday lol

Reminder he has no good wrs and no running game now with no j-rob. 

I guess ur expecting laquon Treadwell and tavon Austin to have games of their entire career as well

9 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

When Laquon Treadwell is the best receiver you have on the field, I think it's fair to blame the supporting cast.

• Like 1