Trevor Lawrence is looking like a bad pick for the Jags

notthatbluestuff

Just now, KhanYouDigIt said:

I think I can do that but it’s going to have to be an installment plan.

I'll run some credit, see what we can do. I'll need an SSN, Mother's maiden name and two utility bills.

• Like 1

Wild to me that the "no rookie QB has EVER played under these poor of circumstances" take is as frequently repeated in here as it is when Davis Mills is outproducing Lawrence playing for a team that literally had multiple "Will the Texans go 0-17 this year?" and "Are the 2021 Houston Texans the worst built team in NFL History?" type threads this offseason lmao

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

Rookie QBs are often most effective when they have another area of the team to lean on. Either the run game, their OL gives them time or they have a match up nightmare out wide or at tight end. You could also lean on a defense that gives you opportunity after opportunity to find some consistency on offense. 

Lawrence has none of those things. Was he overhyped, I think he was but that’s more on everyone else and not him. The best QB from 2018 draft looked like crap his rookie season and his second season completing under 60% of his passes both years, the 2nd best completed under 60% of his passes. 

The kid will get there.

1 minute ago, Ray Reed said:

Wild to me that the "no rookie QB has EVER played under these poor of circumstances" take is as frequently repeated in here as it is when Davis Mills is outproducing Lawrence playing for a team that literally had multiple "Will the Texans go 0-17 this year?" and "Are the 2021 Houston Texans the worst built team in NFL History?" type threads this offseason lmao

Do you think Mills played good against the Jags?

4 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Just tell us you want attention and be done with it.

2 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Do you think Mills played good against the Jags?

Don't know dude. I didn't watch the Houston Texans Jacksonville Jags game lol. I did see a good bit of the Texans Chargers game yesterday though, and Mills looked better throwing to scrubs and for a HC people openly mocked this offseason than I've seen Lawrence look all year (from what I've seen)

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Just tell us you want attention and be done with it.

Bud you're weird. You very clearly can't handle my posts in this thread and what I'm saying about Lawrence (which isn't even that bad considering I've acknowledged multiple times that his situation is terrible) so instead of being weird af every post I make and making it personal why don't you just mute me lol?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

A few things on this comparison (by the guy who introduced this discussion in this thread):

Davis Mills is a guy who came in with zero expectations; The Texans were projected to be bad, Tyrod Taylor was the unquestioned starter, Mills wasn't even expected to play until right about now. Mills was pushed into the lineup due to injury, struggled and was sat back down, which actually helped him refine his game; He had film to study to correct his flaws, and no pressure to get back out there for the reasons listed above. Did Lawrence get that sort of chance to "self scout"?

In addition, Mills has maybe started half the games that Lawrence has played. Do the numbers still even out in Mills' favor if he has as many starts/attempts as Lawrence?

Just some points to ponder...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Don't know dude. I didn't watch the Houston Texans Jacksonville Jags game lol. I did see a good bit of the Texans Chargers game yesterday though, and Mills looked better throwing to scrubs and for a HC people openly mocked this offseason than I've seen Lawrence look all year (from what I've seen)

Was just wondering. He only went 3-9 for a TD and INT on throws over seven yards downfield. His stat line doesn’t look bad at all but I didn’t think he was impressive as his line looked. He did drop a dime to Dorsett.

Edited by KhanYouDigIt

Pages and pages of posts going into the struggles of Lawrence, issues of talent around him/coaching staff, etc. with reasoning and examples and we’re still getting the “I really don’t understand” before dragging the kid through the mud for the millionth time clearly trying to get a rise out of a section of people.

Not sure what type of response is  expected but alas, I think ET nailed it and effectively ended the discussion. 

Lawrence IS struggling, has some issues AND is equipped with the worst supporting cast in the league while having a nuclear head coach who flamed out in one of the most disastrous tenures in NFL history. Both are true!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

A few things on this comparison (by the guy who introduced this discussion in this thread):

Davis Mills is a guy who came in with zero expectations; The Texans were projected to be bad, Tyrod Taylor was the unquestioned starter, Mills wasn't even expected to play until right about now. Mills was pushed into the lineup due to injury, struggled and was sat back down, which actually helped him refine his game; He had film to study to correct his flaws, and no pressure to get back out there for the reasons listed above. Did Lawrence get that sort of chance to "self scout"?

In addition, Mills has maybe started half the games that Lawrence has played. Do the numbers still even out in Mills' favor if he has as many starts/attempts as Lawrence?

Just some points to ponder...

Certainly some factors that don't make it a pure apples to apples comparison, for sure.

But Lawrence was drafted to an equally terrible franchise so it's not like the "expectations" point is terribly disparate - if anything, being a #1 pick with the tools of Lawrence affords him some leeway (a lot of which we're seeing in this thread). If a guy like Mills stinks - even with a bad team around him - fans/media will turn on him even quicker because of his draft status and Houston's impending high draft picks. So I don't put a ton of stock into the expectations/pressure component of this.

And as for the "self scout" point, no, Lawrence hasn't had entire weeks off as a backup to do that, but I assure you that's the type of stuff him and his QB coach look at throughout the week. You need to self scout and improve throughout the week and season - such is life in the NFL. It's a learn on the job type of gig for nearly every rookie QB who's ever laced them up.

And even if all the above points were entirely true in Lawrence's favor (which I disagree with but we'll say they are for the sake of the argument), if Davis Mills getting a few extra weeks to prep - and potentially having a bit less pressure on him because of expectations - is enough to point to a complete explanation as to why he's playing better than Trevor Lawrence...then maybe the expectations for Lawrence, and what he can do vs. his "generational prospect" label coming into the draft needs to be adjusted accordingly.

That's all I'm really saying here.

3 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

There certainly could...

And for the record, I'm man enough to admit that I could certainly be one of those eating the crow.  It wouldn't be the first time.

Having said that, if there was ever a rookie quarterback to bet on that not happening, Trevor Lawrence is very high on my list.