Week 5 We are crushing the Titans - UPDATE: we did not

Charles

2 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

If we get rid of Meyer then Baalke should go too. The only time the past 13 years we've done a full reset was 2013 with Gus & Dave. Do a full reset and center your decisions around building a team around Trevor + fixing the defense.

I would tend to agree.  If we are such a dumpster fire by the end of the year that Urban has to go, I don't see Baalke as being good enough to justify keeping him.  It would probably be better to just start over with a new GM and head coach and hope the next regime can stick around for a while and give Trevor some stability.

Edited by Uncle Buck

57 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

That's the kind of garbage Brad Childress used to pull on Adrian Peterson in his rookie year too.  The guy would rush for 100+ yards in the first half and then get 2-3 carries in the entire second half.  Just utter stupidity on the part of the coach.

He got 6 carries in the second half. The coaches are clueless.

• Like 2

On 10/2/2021 at 6:09 PM, Charles said:

Just believe man...just believe!

Believe Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV

One thing you can say about today is that the crowd at the stadium sure seems to be starting to believe.  That was the loudest crowd I've heard at a Jags game in the last two years.  You like to see (hear) it!

3 hours ago, Charles said:

I disagree.  I would fire Meyer now, name someone interim Hc,  Make Baalke a real gm, and see how the rest of the season goes.   If there's a noticeable turnaround, I'd give them another season.  

I get that mindset and understand how situationally it makes sense to retain one of the GM/HC instead of making a clean cut and starting fresh. However, we need a fresh start if we're going to cut ties with Urban Meyer so quickly. We've only had a clean slate once since 2008. Baalke has been GM for essentially a year now since he took over last November. I don't think it makes sense to go through this show again where we don't do a clean cut. 

We fired Shack Harris (and hired our next GM internally), but retained JDR. We fired JDR, but retained Gene Smith. We fired Gus Bradley, but retained Dave Caldwell under a demoted title with Tom Coughlin coming in over him, and hired our HC internally. We fired Tom Coughlin and put Dave Caldwell back as the guy. We fired Dave Caldwell and promoted Trent Baalke internally as interim and retained him once we fired Doug Marrone & hired Urban Meyer. That's 1 clean cut in 12 years through 2020 for a team with 1 winning season in that timeframe; and that was 8 years ago. I think at this point, it doesn't make sense to not just clear the slate completely. If the new HC & GM want to retain position coaches or front office people/scouts, that's one thing, but the heads at the football table both need to change at the same time. 

If you're cutting Urban this early, then start your new search for both GM & HC and focus on who 1) can build around Trevor Lawrence and 2) fix the defense. 

7 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I get that mindset and understand how situationally it makes sense to retain one of the GM/HC instead of making a clean cut and starting fresh. However, we need a fresh start if we're going to cut ties with Urban Meyer so quickly. We've only had a clean slate once since 2008. Baalke has been GM for essentially a year now since he took over last November. I don't think it makes sense to go through this show again where we don't do a clean cut. 

We fired Shack Harris (and hired our next GM internally), but retained JDR. We fired JDR, but retained Gene Smith. We fired Gus Bradley, but retained Dave Caldwell under a demoted title with Tom Coughlin coming in over him, and hired our HC internally. We fired Tom Coughlin and put Dave Caldwell back as the guy. We fired Dave Caldwell and promoted Trent Baalke internally as interim and retained him once we fired Doug Marrone & hired Urban Meyer. That's 1 clean cut in 12 years through 2020 for a team with 1 winning season in that timeframe; and that was 8 years ago. I think at this point, it doesn't make sense to not just clear the slate completely. If the new HC & GM want to retain position coaches or front office people/scouts, that's one thing, but the heads at the football table both need to change at the same time. 

If you're cutting Urban this early, then start your new search for both GM & HC and focus on who 1) can build around Trevor Lawrence and 2) fix the defense. 

That is probably the right approach,  but I don't really have faith in Khan identifying the right candidates.  I'd feel a little better about Baalke being involved in the HC search just for experience sake.  

1 hour ago, Charles said:

That is probably the right approach,  but I don't really have faith in Khan identifying the right candidates.  I'd feel a little better about Baalke being involved in the HC search just for experience sake.  

I don't know if the problem is Khan identifying the right candidates (especially given all the reports of him seeking outside opinion including using a firm) as it is with the Jaguars historically not having as much interest as other jobs in the league. Even Gus was only hired because he was the only one willing to take the job in 2013. Hopefully having Trevor Lawrence helps improve the interest. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

there's something in the pool water

You are probably on to something.   I mean....Urban failing as a coach...sure, that I could see.  NFL is hard,  he wouldn't have been the first.  But the off the field stuff, the chaos...who legitimately saw that coming. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pwny said:

Yeah that seemed the obvious intention of what he said.

But as to be expected, until they start winning, everything goes under the microscope.

I figured that’s what he meant but it still seems like an awful reason.

Haven’t heard of a lot of teams doing the QB sneak “live” during practice. Think that’s just something you have to do in game really.

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I figured that’s what he meant but it still seems like an awful reason.

Haven’t heard of a lot of teams doing the QB sneak “live” during practice. Think that’s just something you have to do in game really.

It is. But 4th down on the goal line is probably not the first place you want Trevor to have to do what would probably be the first ever in game QB sneak of his life.

What they clearly need to do is get a 3rd & 1 at a random spot on the field and run it then.

After writing the above, I went and looked through the play logs for this season. I figured I could find a handful of spots they should have ran it out there if they were worried about a pressure situation.

They’ve had nine 3rd&1 or 4th and 1 plays that they went for in the entire season. One other 4th and 1 they didn’t go for it, but we’re pinned back deep in a tie game. One of these 3rd&1s was the last play of a game, two were our last drive of the game, another was in the first drive of a game where they were clearly running a script, and another was when we were down by three scores in the third quarter. Each of the other four were at the goal line; the failed 4th down read option vs the Bengals, the failed James Robinson run vs the Titans, the immaculate Trevor pass vs the Titans, and the disaster Hyde run vs the Titans.

If they genuinely want to have a play or two where they run it without the pressure of a must make situation, the only opportunity they had to run it in the entire season was earlier in the Titans game on the 3rd and goal from the 1 right before the 4th and 1 play we made it in on that beautiful Trevor throw. Instead they tried James Robinson there. If they didn’t want the pressure of the goal line at all for his first one, there was no other play that they could have ran it on.

That is really freaking odd tbh. 

• Like 1