OK, So Who Calls Plays Now, And Who Plays QB?.....

soulman

2 hours ago, G08 said:

Maybe I missed the point, but I interpreted this as the Cleveland gameplan being a curveball that bounced 5 feet in front of the plate. 

Cleveland said they were expecting boots, etc, so Nagy tried to be cute and catch them off guard by going 4 wide, erc. I understand the logic of that, not sure I'd say it was ego-driven though. 

Clearly was a mistake, however. 

The biggest mistake was not adjusting even though the plan failed miserably through pretty much the entire game. 

I wonder if Nagy understands his pre-game plan is not contractually binding. He has the authority to change it whenever he damn well pleases. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

The biggest mistake was not adjusting even though the plan failed miserably through pretty much the entire game. 

I wonder if Nagy understands his pre-game plan is not contractually binding. He has the authority to change it whenever he damn well pleases. 

working. been my biggest concern with Nagy for a while.  He doesn't seem to be able to adjust.  Maybe now that he isn't obsessing with calling plays he will step back and notice that **** ain`t working.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

That assumes he's actually willing and/or able to make adjustments nothing in his past has ever confirmed has been willing to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I think he tried to adjust later but it was too little too late.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, G08 said:

I think he tried to adjust later but it was too little too late.

He even tried to make adjustments at halftime and left an extra TE and RB in to block, expecting 7 blockers to be able to beat 4 rushers (as they should) and they still couldn't do it. On the first drive in the 2nd half on 3rd down Monty was kept in as a blocker and Kmet was used as chip, this left 3 WR's vs 7 defenders, and they couldn't find a hole in the zone and all of this led to a sack and a punt. Plays like these are on the players themselves and not the coaching staff. The OL, Kmet and Monty in particular because they should win those matchups.

Everyone likes to blame the staff whenever things go wrong but sometimes it's the players themselves.

Now I'm certainly not saying that no blame should be put on the staff because it absolutely should but much like the rest of the Browns game, it was everything going wrong at one time and not just on Nagy.

Once you let a pass rush get fired up and going you are in trouble.

It is critical that you mix up your protections, drop depths, mix in screens/draws, early in the game to keep the pass rush thinking.

Nagy does none of that. He thinks the quick game is the answer to all of it. By the 2nd half the damage was done. The Browns were running games, blitzes, and stunts with impunity. They were teeing off without a care in the world.

• Like 2

Listen to Hoge and Jahns discuss Nagy calling plays vs Bill Lazor calling plays.  Starts at about the 13 minute mark.

Scroll down to Podcast: https://theathletic.com/2869380/2021/10/05/what-justin-fields-provides-that-andy-dalton-doesnt-david-montgomerys-value-and-more-5-bears-takeaways/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

The points they make is exactly what I've been saying as well as other.  Nagy is a better HC when he coaches his entire team.

35 minutes ago, soulman said:

Nagy is a better HC when he coaches his entire team.

Yep. The moment I saw him staring at his playsheet and not having a clue what happened, or how it looked, the play before told me all I needed to know.

Coach the team, Nagy, or learn how to call plays while seeing what the defense is doing / how your players are performing.

• Like 2