College Football Coaching Carousel

Texasmade

Just now, jrry32 said:

He's setting his career trajectory back by taking the OSU job, then.

I dont think so. Sets himself up with better coaching connections. sets himself to increase recruiting profile by landing higher profile recruits and helping coach goes into the league, and could get to a P5 HC gig in just as much time or quicker. It really depends on Schiano. Say Schiano leaves after next year, he spends one year as an assistant and than takes over as a DC. Spends 3-4 years as the DC and than leaves. It might take him 3-4 years  at a smaller program to get to a p5 program but at that non p5 program he didnt connect with the big time programs in recruiting, didnt really send guys to the league, and didnt really form great coaching connections. 

Going to tOSU  might keep his potential career trajectory or even make it better, no back IMO

Just now, buno67 said:

I dont think so. Sets himself up with better coaching connections. sets himself to increase recruiting profile by landing higher profile recruits and helping coach goes into the league, and could get to a P5 HC gig in just as much time or quicker. It really depends on Schiano. Say Schiano leaves after next year, he spends one year as an assistant and than takes over as a DC. Spends 3-4 years as the DC and than leaves. It might take him 3-4 years  at a smaller program to get to a p5 program but at that non p5 program he didnt connect with the big time programs in recruiting, didnt really send guys to the league, and didnt really form great coaching connections. 

Going to tOSU  might keep his potential career trajectory or even make it better, no back IMO

BS. He was already a highly respected DC. If he wanted to trade up, he could have traded up to a better DC job THIS YEAR. He likely would have been a HC at a P5 or impressive G5 program within the next three years. He's setting his career trajectory back. I don't get the move, but there must be something in it for him. OSU lucked out big time. Frankly, I'd rather have him as DC than Schiano.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

BS. He was already a highly respected DC. If he wanted to trade up, he could have traded up to a better DC job THIS YEAR. He likely would have been a HC at a P5 or impressive G5 program within the next three years. He's setting his career trajectory back. I don't get the move, but there must be something in it for him. OSU lucked out big time. Frankly, I'd rather have him as DC than Schiano.

Yeah, my only guess is that maybe Schiano is moving on, someway, somehow? Maybe he takes the demotion and Grinch is the DC? Otherwise this makes no sense.

2 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

Yeah, my only guess is that maybe Schiano is moving on, someway, somehow? Maybe he takes the demotion and Grinch is the DC? Otherwise this makes no sense.

well they said Schiano might be getting a promotion and Grinch would be co-DC

Just now, utley4568 said:

Co-DC is still a step down. 

a for a season or two maybe. Co-DC at tOSU is a lot better than a lot of other places and WSU is prolly one of those places. Specially when he is an Columbus guy

Just now, buno67 said:

a for a season or two maybe. Co-DC at tOSU is a lot better than a lot of other places and WSU is prolly one of those places. Specially when he is an Columbus guy

Co-DC at OSU isn't better than DC at WSU. It makes even less sense when you consider that A&M and FSU were interested in him as a DC. 

Just now, utley4568 said:

Co-DC at OSU isn't better than DC at WSU. It makes even less sense when you consider that A&M and FSU were interested in him as a DC. 

they might of be interested in him doesnt mean anything materialized. 

1 minute ago, utley4568 said:

I'd have been stunned if he wasn't offered one of them.

if anything was offered, shows he believes Co-DC is better than those DC positions. Or he believes coaching with the likes of Meyers is better than Jimbo or Tag.

Just now, buno67 said:

if anything was offered, shows he believes Co-DC is better than those DC positions. Or he believes coaching with the likes of Meyers is better than Jimbo or Tag.

If he believes that, then he's an idiot. This conversation isn't worth having. It's a great hire for OSU, and a terrible decision by Grinch unless he's the DC.

If he believes that, then he's an idiot. This conversation isn't worth having. It's a great hire for OSU, and a terrible decision by Grinch unless he's the DC.

The only way this makes sense is if he's Co-DC and doing the play-calling. Then, it's worth it.

honestly he prolly was told he would be the full-time DC in one or 2 seasons. Coaching at tOSU is prolly a dream of his because of his Ohio/Columbus roots. He was prolly willing to eat his time which wouldnt be that bad because he is spending more time at home/family and at a program he wants to be at. tOSU just got lucky for the situation to play out like this. They get a great 10th coach and a great DC in the wings to replace Schiano in the short future.

This is not a step down for Grinch. Surprised the conversation turned that direction. OSU has had multiple assistant coordinators jump straight from those positions to HC jobs. Fickell and Hazell off the top of my head. These assistant to assistant jobs are basically 50/50 splits in responsibility, so ignore the title. Warriner/Beck on offense last year or Day/Wilson this year. Fickell/Schiano last year. After Fick left, they wanted a guy to step in and take on those responsibilities. Grinch isn’t going to be forgotten about. Coaching under Meyer will just add to his profile. Schiano might have one more year in CBus anyways. Grinch will likely either be a long-time DC with OSU or prepping to be a HC. Plus he’s from Ohio and as a result likely has allegiance to the team/state and was happy to come home. The whole thing makes obvious sense. 

Archived