BDL 2021 Week 6 - Death Valley Nightmare @ New Orleans Jazz

SirA1

Who Wins?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Death Valley Nightmare
    • New Orleans Jazz

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/21/2021 at 03:59 AM

BDL 2021 Week 6

Match:  Death Valley Nightmare @ New Orleans Jazz

Away Owner:  @wwhickok

Home Owner:  @WFLukic

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Death Valley Nightmare

Offense:
QB: Matthew Stafford
RB: Derrick Henry
WR: Corey Davis
WR: Christian Kirk
TE1: Dawson Knox
TE2: Tyler Conklin
LT: Penei Sewell
LG: Dion Dawkins
😄 Creed Humphrey
RG: Mark Glowinski
RT:  Morgan Moses

Bench:
RB:Alvin Kamara
RB3: Darrell Williams
WR4: KJ Obsorn
WR: Anthony Schwartz
WR4 (alternate 2):  Freddie Swain
TE3: Robert Tonyan
OT: Chuks Okorafor
OG: Kevin Dotson

Defense
LE: Calais Campbell 
NT: Javon Hargrave
RE: Cam Heyward
LOLB: Maxx Crosby 
ILB: Devin Bush
ILB: Zaven Collins
ROLB: Brian Burns
CB: Darius Slay
CB: Terrence Mitchell
FS: Xavier Woods
SS: Jeremy Chinn

Bench:
OLB: Kwity Paye
ILB: Jordyn Brooks
ILB: Jerome Baker
NCB: Rock Ya-Sin
CB4: James Pierre
CB5: Robert Rochell
S3: Javon Holland
S4: Xavier McKinney

New Orleans Jazz

Offense:

QB: Josh Allen
RB: Melvin Gordon III
WR1: DeAndre Hopkins
WR2: D.J. Moore
Slot WR/OW: Deebo Samuel
TE: Mike Gesicki
LT: Jonah Williams
LG: Joel Bitonio
OC: Alex Mack
RG: Austin Corbett
RT: Cam Robinson

RB2: Devin Singletary
RB3: Zack Moss
RB4: Nyheim Hines
WR4: TY Hilton
WR5: Cole Beasley  
TE2: Jared Cook
OL6: Alejandro Villanueva
OL7: Justin Pugh

Defense:

RE: Christian Wilkins
DT: Grady Jarrett
NT: Eddie Goldman
LE: Jeffery Simmons
LEO: Nick Bosa
LB: Alexander Johnson
CB: James Bradberry
CB: J.C. Jackson
CB: Adoree Jackson
SS: Adrian Amos
FS: Micah Hyde

DE3: Jadeveon Clowney
DE4: Randy Gregory
DT3: JJ Watt
DT4: Shelby Harris
LB3: Jamal Adams
LB4: Cory Littleton
DB6: Richard Sherman
DB7: Darnell Savage

Edited by SirA1

Death Valley Nightmare

Offensive Gameplan

NOLA is stout on defense, but not impenetrable. Robert Tonyan will see an uptick in snaps to help block Bosa. That's not to discredit JJ Watt but he isn't the player he once was. This week, Kamara and Henry will see very similar amounts of playing time. Very similar to my game against Singapore we will use Kamara out in the flat on screens, use him on outside runs with TE help blocking edges, to play "keep away" from the quality Interior Dline. If there is one guy on my roster that knows how to handle Jeffery Simmons, it's King Henry and he will get a lot of work bull dozing through that interior dline to wear them down. We want to both, control the clock and maintain possession on long successful drives. We want their defense so tired by halftime they gotta use that 20 minutes to take a nap.

Darrell Williams will see playing time this week as well to help keep Henry and Kamara Fresh throughout the game.

Something we really haven't made an emphasis on this season that we will use in this game is play action. We want to use PA to get Knox and Conklin open in the middle of the field as well as possibly get Davis running free down field. We have been running a ton of slant routes and while we will still do that in this game, we are going to be using more Curl, corner, level, and out routes in this game to hopefully get some separation from the DBs.

We are also going to use Kamara in the slot at times, using screens, arrows, slants and drags to get him in space in the passing game.

Christian Kirk will operate from multiple areas, starting at the #2 WR position he will also see time in the slot. We want to move him around to keep the opposition guessing. When Kirk is in the slot Swain will move into the #2 role (will be limited situations). However for the majority of the time out of the slot it'll either be Kirk or Kamara in that role.

Knox will also be used on streak routes in the middle of the field in hopes we can get one or two chunk plays from them.

New Orleans runs a very aggressive defense, I'd be surprised if that isn't the case in this game also. In the event it is, we will at some point use that against them with a Flea Flicker to try to get an "off guard" splash play. We will also use a lot of motion, wirh Davis, and Knox to get rhe Defense to tip their hand on their coverages.

Despite last week's loss to IC, I think our gameplan got enough respect that we are going to keep the use of RPOs in the gameplan.  We also will occasionally spread out the defense to take advantage of lighter fronts.

We will again run some screens and Jet sweeps with Schwartz as well.

Defensive Gameplan 

This week we face a challenge we haven't seen yet this season really. A solid QB with the ability to be mobile and an onslaught of receiving weapons. Trying to win in a straight up brawl would be like bringing a spoon to a gun fight.

The biggest threats on offense are obviously Hopkins and DJ Moore. That is not to discount the capable albeit in consistent RBs, Cole Beasley, Samuel, Campbell, and their TEs.

Also Josh Allen's ability to run will be dealt with by contain Defense, if he is going to run we want him doing so into the middle where we have more defensive bodies.

We are expecting some stuff with Deebo out of the backfield in this one. Having said that, Deebo has also blossomed into a receiver that deserves awareness.

When it comes to Hopkins, Slay will cover him with help over the top from Woods.

DJ Moore will be covered by Mitchell. Rock Ya-Sin will be responsible for Cole Beasley (or the alternative slot/depth receiver not named DHop or DJ Moore)

James Pierre will come onto the field when there are 4 WRs. Rochell if they're are 5WRs.

Chinn will cover the TE/RBs in the passing game with help from Devin Bush.

Our Dline is going to focus on getting pressure on Allen. When Allen is hurried he is prone to mistakes and inaccurate passes. Our goal is to disrupt the passing game to make it less effective.

Against the run we will be playing a 'seek and destroy', mentality. We are not discounting the RBs but we also do not fear them. We will use our LBs and DL to contain the running game.

We will blitz 25%, it is a somewhat low # but we are confident we can get pressure with 4 (our 3 DL and an edge rusher) Crosby will especially be used in these situations because while he isn't setting the world on fire with sacks he is racking up the QB Hurries, he will be one of the key factors in forcing Allen into making mistakes.

New Orleans Jazz

Motivation:

After Death Valley stole the division last year and managed two victories against us last season, we come into this one fully motivated to restore order and nearly confirm our rightful place atop the division.

Offense (65% Pass vs. 35% Run):

50% of snaps – 1 RB – 3 WR – 1 TE
35% of snaps – RB(OW) – 1TE – 3WR
15% of snaps – RB(OW) – 4WR

Passing Game:

Death Valley come into this matchup undermanned at CB and we’re fully prepared to take advantage by riding Allen’s arm and our weapons in the passing game. Despite a strong pass-rush, we’re confident that by being creative with our formations and personnel groupings as well as utilising Allen’s unique talents as a runner and passer, we’ll be able move the chains consistently.

Given the lack issues Death Valley is facing at CB, we anticipate they will come out with a “bend don’t break” approach, giving up health cushions to our receivers. In that case, bubble screens to Samuel and Moore will feature heavily with the aim of chewing up an easy 6 to 7 yards per play. Comebacks and crossers will also be used to take advantage of the static DVN corners if they’re playing off coverage. With Moore in particular we want to take a few hitch and go shots as after a few shorter passes, we know we’ll be able to get a bite and if Moore can beat the first man he’s got the speed to go the whole way.

If Death Valley want to go with a man heavier approach, we’ll look to get in behind and beat them. Hopkins will run his usual full route tree and be targeted down the field with interest, especially if he’s left in single coverage as there is no CB in the league that can consistently hang with him 1v1, let alone a CB on Death Valley’s team. If he’s doubled, it’s feeding season for Moore, Samuel and Gesicki. In addition to this, if Death Valley does come out in man, a lot of crossers will be run with Samuel and Moore both to create separation and get the ball in their hands, or run routes to and try and free up the other and give them a chance at long gains.

For just that extra bit of firepower, we also plan on having a large number (as many as 50%) of our formations involving Samuel lining up as the RB and Gesicki, Beasley/Hilton, Moore and Hopkins at WR. The main reason for this is given that Death Valley traditionally come in with heavier lineups, the speed of Samuel should be useful to get outside and then downfield. On top of this, Samuel offers a matchup nightmare as a legitimate running threat while also being a total mismatch for linebacker who is drawn into coverage on him. So in these situations where Samuel lines up in the backfield, Allen will have the freedom to audible into different looks with Samuel splitting wide.

Running Game:

Nothing special in the running game here – more or less existing just to keep things balanced. Gordon will get the lion’s share as the lead runner, with Singletary, Moss and Hines seeing some snaps as changes of pace. Samuel will get a few carries out of the backfield on reverses or sweeps and Allen will have a few designed runs drawn up for him, with the choice to audible into draws where Death Valley goes with 7 back zone looks. In particular we’re going to look to run Allen on 4 or 5 wide downs where we see the opportunity for consistent gains.

Defensive Front:

With Calvin Ridley out and a rather mediocre group of receivers assembled otherwise, it’s clear the engine of the Death Valley is the running back room. Henry is just about the best RB in the game now and Kamara is the ultimate thunder to Henry’s lightning. However, he is not unstoppable, what is generally recognised, is that the best way to stop Henry is to either give him no gaps or hit him in the backfield.

To ensure we have every opportunity to slow him down, we’re going into this match with a modified base 4-3 under look in which we’re beefing the DL right up and utilising Nick Bosa as a LEO. The key additions are Eddie Goldman at the nose and Christian Wilkins at end, respectively weighing 320 lbs and 310 lbs with proven abilities to stop the run at a high level. As always is the case though, we will be heavily rotating the group and all the players listed on the bench will see a significant number of snaps, such as Watt.

Also, while this is our base line-up, it will adjust depending on the down and distance, with later downs resembling more standard pass-rushing listings such as Bosa and Watt on the end and Simmons + Wilkins back in the middle. In these instances where we go with 4 down linemen as rushers, Jamal Adams will come into the game in a “joker” type role with the freedom to blitz, rush or drop in coverage.  

Coverage:

We’re going with our usual cover-1 man formation, with Hyde as the deep man and the other coverage assignments as follows:

Bradberry – Davis
J.C. Jackson – Kirk
Adoree Jackson – Reagor
Amos – Running back
Johnson / Tight end

Should Death Valley introduce two TEs, we’ll sub out one of the CBs for Jamal Adams or KJ Wright, while if they decide to with 4 WRs, Micah Hyde will most to the slot/CB and Savage will come in as the deep safety.

Incredible chess match here. NO deciding to pull the trigger on the 4-3 under while still having, IMO, the ability to defend the pass really makes a difference here. I knew this was going to be one of my favorite games of this week and when I saw the NO defensive game plan I did this:

The Wire Reaction GIF

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Incredible chess match here. NO deciding to pull the trigger on the 4-3 under while still having, IMO, the ability to defend the pass really makes a difference here. I knew this was going to be one of my favorite games of this week and when I saw the NO defensive game plan I did this:

The Wire Reaction GIF

Same. DVN was definitely in a better place Sunday with the addition of Kirk and Ya-Sin then they were Friday but the passing game won’t be enough here and so the game has to be won with Henry and with the way NO is stacking that front against Henry and Co New Orleans slows him down enough. This is a great matchup. I think the DVN defense gets some pressure and some stops but not enough to get the W against NO.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Same. DVN was definitely in a better place Sunday with the addition of Kirk and Ya-Sin then they were Friday but the passing game won’t be enough here and so the game has to be won with Henry and with the way NO is stacking that front against Henry and Co New Orleans slows him down enough. This is a great matchup. I think the DVN defense gets some pressure and some stops but not enough to get the W against NO.

11 hours ago, Jlash said:

The Wire Reaction GIF

Haha, I traded for Goldman for the exact purpose of running this defense to stop Henry.

Vea and Lawrence were my first two choices but Counselor wouldn't trade them to me 😢