Rivera on Landon Collins

turtle28

24 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Doesn't matter what Rivera see in him if Del Rio is seeing something else.Becuase less then 2 weeks ago we gave up a TD cuase we had a guy they view as a down hill Linebacker show blitz the have the responsibility to cover the deep center.If the coaches see him as a downhill LBer which a lot of people do it makes me question the play calling a lot more now as we've givin up multiple TD from him being a Safety or having safety responsibilities.

• Like 2

On 10/21/2021 at 10:03 PM, taylor made said:

Collins has never looked good his entire career in the B&G.  He's not a linebacker, he's too small.  He's not a safety, he can't cover. Khaleke Hudson helped make Mahomes throw one of the worst INTs of Mahomes' career and you don't play him more?

I definitely agree Hudson should be starting over Collins. The only reason Collins is starting I’d because of his contract, they can say that’s not why but we all know it is. Hopefully when we’re eliminated from the playoffs a month from now they finally start Hudson and bench Collins.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

They have too if he blows coverage like he has continued to all season and previously to that. Today he would get benched and cut this week if I was the staff trying to make a real statement in the locker room

It will be interesting to see what happens this week after Johnson played better than Jackson, and Collins continued to struggle in coverage.  My guess is a whole lot more talking, but no action. 

At least with Jackson, I understand some.  We are pulling what the Eagles did with Asomugha and playing against his strengths.  Why spend that money if we are going to change him to fit the scheme?  You fit the scheme to the player, especially spending that kind of money.  But Collins……….he’s forcing a better player out of his best position, and it’s not like Collins is even playing at replacement-level right now.  

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 6:00 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

It will be interesting to see what happens this week after Johnson played better than Jackson, and Collins continued to struggle in coverage.  My guess is a whole lot more talking, but no action. 

At least with Jackson, I understand some.  We are pulling what the Eagles did with Asomugha and playing against his strengths.  Why spend that money if we are going to change him to fit the scheme?  You fit the scheme to the player, especially spending that kind of money.  But Collins……….he’s forcing a better player out of his best position, and it’s not like Collins is even playing at replacement-level right now.  

We plan man coverage too & WJ3 gets burned when we’re in man also. He’s rarely been good no matter what coverage is called. And I’m sorry, a pro athlete has been playing corner for probably 15-20 years now including middle school l, high school and college and he doesn’t know how to play a zone D?

That says more about the player we signed and his limitations rather than anything about the defensive coaches.

What player is definitely better than Collins at playing WLB right now? Hudson? I guess that’s debatable and I’d like to find out the answer but, I can’t say that Hudson would definitely be better than Collins if he were playing those snaps right now.

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

And I’m sorry, a pro athlete has been playing corner for probably 15-20 years now including middle school l, high school and college and he doesn’t know how to play a zone D?

Knowing how to do it and being good at it *at the NFL level* are not the same.  Put WJ3 in a college (or highschool, lol!) game and his zone coverage would be excellent.  But at the bleeding edge? It's a definite weakness.

I don't disagree that he's been underwhelming in man coverage too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

We plan man coverage too & WJ3 gets burned when we’re in man also. He’s rarely been good no matter what coverage is called. And I’m sorry, a pro athlete has been playing corner for probably 15-20 years now including middle school l, high school and college and he doesn’t know how to play a zone D?

That says more about the player we signed and his limitations rather than anything about the defensive coaches.

What player is definitely better than Collins at playing WLB right now? Hudson? I guess that’s debatable and I’d like to find out the answer but, I can’t say that Hudson would definitely be better than Collins if he were playing those snaps right now.

Agreed, but every player has a strength.  It’s an extreme example, but Matt Stafford would not succeed in an offense where you have a mobile QB.  Nor would you want to negate the legs of a Patrick Mahomes or Lamar Jackson by putting them in an offense where they are strictly pocket passers.  WJ3 has been underwhelming across the board, but we are asking him to play much more zone than Cincy asked him to do.  

I’m not really sure about Collins, but I’d rather see what Hudson or Davis can do there.  Collins is who he is, and was very overpaid.  He’s griping about being put at linebacker and who knows how that is affecting locker room chemistry at this point.  At this point, even if Hudson isn’t the better player now, let the younger guy get his shot.