Week Seven GDT: Bye Week Ramblings as Steelers are 3-3

Steeler Hitman

On 10/21/2021 at 4:42 PM, 43M said:

Dotson was simply never as good as Steeler fans wanted to believe.    Just another player who got overrated based on a limited sample.

He absolutely got overhyped, but he really turned his play around the last 2 weeks. I was super hard on him in the first 3-4 weeks, but I also thought his trash play was because of injury/conditioning. In the last 2 weeks, he looked 10x better than he had in the first quarter of the season. I am very interested to see what he looks like coming out of the bye. 

- I was out all last week so just playing catch up: But on the DL, we desperately need Tuitt back. I don't even think the guys we have going in Wormley and Buggs have been bad, but it's the NFL and we are playing DL # 1, 4, 5, and 7 right now. Will be nice when we are at least playing with the 2 in that group too. 

18 hours ago, August4th said:

Bengals look like a real threat this yr and going forward...we actually looked better against them what I'm seeing from the Ravens ATM( who i don't think is as good as their record)

Completely agree on the Ravens, but actually makes me question what we saw from the Bengals in full, but it was still very impressive. Ravens feel very 2020 Steelers to me, in terms of their record not equalling who they are. It took a CEH fumble, a record setting field goal, and 2 missed chip shots to get where they were at 5-1 instead of 2-4. I thought the Chargers just played their worst collective game they could rather than the Ravens really forcing them into doing negative things. Play those teams together 10 times and that outcome was the 1 in 10. 

The Bengals are still a question mark to me. They beat the pants off the Ravens and the Lions, but lost to the Bears, played tight to the Vikings and Jags, lost in OT to the Packers, and beat us by 14 -- which is also the number of points off Ben god-awful turnovers. 

More Random Thoughts:
- Interested to see what the OL looks like after the bye. I still think the best move is to take Chuks back to LT, let Moore catch his breath and get detailed, and see what you have in Banner at RT. If Banner is an improvement at RT, Dotson is rounding back into the 2020 version, Turner continues to round back into playing shape, and Green improves weekly...I can see this offensive line not being awful. Is that good? Feels not good....but kinda good for us... 

- Last thought, we desperately missed out Bye last year. Not for anything to do with rest or injuries, but for self scouting. Teams use the bye as a means to look at themselves since they don't have to look at an opponent. Our "bye" last year was spent preparing the for the Titans game that was postponed. At the end of the day, I am not sure how much that looking yourself in the mirror would have changed, but it's also not hard to understand how we just continually did the same things with no adjustments. We missed the adjustments week. We don't this year. Interested to see what kind of adjustments we actually make. 

I saw a Film Review on the depot about Chuks' issues in pass protection. The conclusion they came to was that he was really good moving outside, but not great on interior moves. I'm far from an O-line guru, but couldn't this be chalked up to him playing on his non natural side? He's been a LT his entire life minus last year. Maybe he's more comfortable moving over there? Either way, he won't be a downgrade from Moore, but has the potential to be an upgrade. Banner is an upgrade over Chuks on the right side. I think we might have a pretty salty right side with Turner and Banner, at least in the run game. I think Najee is poised for some big games coming up. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I saw a Film Review on the depot about Chuks' issues in pass protection. The conclusion they came to was that he was really good moving outside, but not great on interior moves. I'm far from an O-line guru, but couldn't this be chalked up to him playing on his non natural side? He's been a LT his entire life minus last year. Maybe he's more comfortable moving over there? Either way, he won't be a downgrade from Moore, but has the potential to be an upgrade. Banner is an upgrade over Chuks on the right side. I think we might have a pretty salty right side with Turner and Banner, at least in the run game. I think Najee is poised for some big games coming up. 

Chuks has looked pretty decent outside of penalties the past few games, I’m excited to see what he does on his natural side. I also anticipate his experience will be welcomed by Dotson. 

5 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

According to Rapsheet the Steelers have been listening to offers for Melvin Ingram? Unless some team is desperate and overpays, it would be stupid to trade him if we are serious about winning this year. 

Yea I’m guessing it would take a 3 or 4 to make them trade him.

If they were 1-5 it be a no-brainer.

36 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

McFarland hitting some of the holes our line is occasionally opening up will be a real treat. Lets hope he can find them, and the line can get a little more consistent in making them.  

he can also be a real threat in the pass game. I can see Canada designing some plays that gets him into space.

• Like 1

Mad props to Tomlin for this....

Some of these reporters are complete idiots.   Even if there were some factual evidence to back up the notion he was looking at college gigs, you dont ask in the middle of the season when the team is still competing.   In this case....there isnt even any evidence, just blind speculation.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Didn't the whole thing start because Ryan Clark said he wished LSU would hire Tomlin? The more I've become disillusioned with the actual media, the more embarrassing sports media becomes.  

media needing clicks/views is the only reason I can see why tomlin would be brought up. it created a 2-3 day news story cycle out of nowhere lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Didn't the whole thing start because Ryan Clark said he wished LSU would hire Tomlin? The more I've become disillusioned with the actual media, the more embarrassing sports media becomes.  

I have lost a tremendous amount of respect for the media.  It is more important to be first than accurate. There is no credibility in media. If reporters, insiders, and other main stream media did what they do today some years ago, they would be in different careers. There was an integrity to journalism and reporting. It has gone. People seem to think editorials and commentary are fact!!! I actually value and respect the  reports, thoughts and opinions of people in the group here over mainstream media.  More often than not, we are on the pulse of the team than some wo have access to players, coaches, and the infamous "unnamed anonymous team source."

You said it. Clark said he "wished."  Somehow that was spun into he has decided to leave. No longer can you trust, but you definitely better verify!

http://pmd205465tn-a.akamaihd.net/Miramax/154/95/tnZnV0YToOG1BFqxUIbEQ4FlmzIePRZp_1920x1080_191964739503.jpg

"Wish in one hand and crap in another. Then see which one fills up first!" - - Willie Bad Santa via S.A. Bodeen who originally said this. 

I have no doubt that USC or LSU would actually have Tomlin at the top of their wish list....but wanting doesn't make interest mutual. 

I see no problem with the media asking. It's literally their job. If there are real rumors out there connect Mike Tomlin to go become a real life Ted Lasso in England coaching soccer -- They should ask about it. But Tomlin's answer ensures that it only makes sense to ask that ONE time. It's fair to ask, it's amazing to answer the way he did. 

Anyone see James Franklin's handling of his rumors? He is going to be asked every time he is in front of a mic -- and rightfully so. 

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I have no doubt that USC or LSU would actually have Tomlin at the top of their wish list....but wanting doesn't make interest mutual. 

I see no problem with the media asking. It's literally their job. If there are real rumors out there connect Mike Tomlin to go become a real life Ted Lasso in England coaching soccer -- They should ask about it. But Tomlin's answer ensures that it only makes sense to ask that ONE time. It's fair to ask, it's amazing to answer the way he did. 

Anyone see James Franklin's handling of his rumors? He is going to be asked every time he is in front of a mic -- and rightfully so. 

1)  its not the first time he's been asked.

2)  there is literally no basis for the question.    Tomlin summed it up well..."Do Sean Peyton and Andy Reid get these questions?"

3)  Sure, the media can ask stupid questions...but I love seeing them get humiliated for asking them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

If there are real rumors

Except there aren't. It was literally just Ryan Clark saying he wished LSU would offer Tomlin a lot of money. Everything started there. Reporting no name twitter "rumors" is a joke, and is absolutely not the job of the media. Gaining clicks is their goal, and that's a sad state of affairs.