Week Seven GDT: Bye Week Ramblings as Steelers are 3-3

Steeler Hitman

1 hour ago, 43M said:

here is literally no basis for the question

There is and it's all over the internet. Whether YOU believe it or LIKE it or not, doesn't matter. Whether it's REAL or not doesn't matter. If there are tons of people talking about it - rumor or not - it makes it a real conversation. If millions of people are seeing and talking about something -- RUMOR OR REAL -- it makes it valid to ask about because MILLIONS of people were interacting with the thought. 

And the reason Reid and Payton were not asked about it is because....despite my trying, I find NOTHING relating either of them to either job. Google and Twitter searching "Mike Tomlin" and "LSU, USC" timestamped prior to yesterdays press conference and I find an endless list of articles, tweets, comments sections, and reddit posts about it. 

Rumor or how it started doesn't matter if it snowballs into reality. Mike Tomlin was asked the question on the rumor, and ended the reality. 

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Except there aren't. It was literally just Ryan Clark saying he wished LSU would offer Tomlin a lot of money. Everything started there. Reporting no name twitter "rumors" is a joke, and is absolutely not the job of the media. Gaining clicks is their goal, and that's a sad state of affairs. 

Ryan Clark did nothing to mention USC, yet here they are involved too. Ryan Clark also mentioned it wasn't the first time he had heard the name Tomlin and LSU connected. See above for the remainder of my comment on "rumors". Carson Palmer talked about USC. So, again, real or not, two HUGE profile guys who are well connected still at their alumni and within media circles are talking about Rumors....Im sorry, I have no clue how you guys don't think its valid for a media member to ask a question. 

I love Tomlin's response, its absolutely still a valid question. 

Im sorry, I'll punt from here. I don't do well with the "media is ruining everything" when it's the consumers of media who are doing it to ourselves. As you ask why reporters are more concerned with being first and not right or why they might ask questions in a press conference built by a rumor.....just give it some thought as you refresh twitter for the 1,000th time or reload FF.com for the 80th during a break looking for something new and interesting. So being mad at a reporter asking a question that is getting hundreds of thousands of tweets, replies, comments, articles, and airtime -- it would kinda make sense wouldn't it?

19 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Im sorry, I'll punt from here. I don't do well with the "media is ruining everything" when it's the consumers of media who are doing it to ourselves.

Ah yes. It's the consumers fault. We can't ever blame the people who have power. If only those dirty peasants would stop looking at all this garbage we make, we could make better stuff. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Ah yes. It's the consumers fault. We can't ever blame the people who have power. If only those dirty peasants would stop looking at all this garbage we make, we could make better stuff. 

Why cant you blame both? If you stopped looking at Skip Bayless on twitter or watching him on TV.....Skip Bayless no longer exists because there is no demand for what he puts out there. But peoples desire to continually react and respond -- good or bad -- validates everything he does. Billionaires are not going to stop being billionaires because consumers as a whole are too demanding of information and entertainment to stop accepting trash. 

Could the media stop putting trash things out there? Sure. Can consumers also stop taking in crap content? Yes. More than 1 thing can be true at a time. But until that day.... I am not going to get mad at a media member for asking a question literal hundreds of thousands of people have been talking about in some capacity from rumors of well connected people and think they are the downfall of news.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'd hate to lose the depth, but a nice 4th rounder wouldn't be too bad. 

Agreed. Looking at Seth Walder's Edge stats....Ingram hasn't been terrible effective where as Highsmith has been really really good (you need to look into his other comments on the tweet below, but he said Highsmith is just below and to the right of TJ Watt and Ingram is slightly above Bud Dupree). 

Health and depth become a major concern if we lost our #3....but at the same time, Highsmith and TJ are playing at an entirely different level of Ingram to demand they come off the field. 

• Like 1

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32176833/2021-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings

This page has the numbers for Highsmith....seriously, dudes been a monster. We got him in the 3rd round last year AND he dealt with injuries early on. 

Also, really just a bummer Tuitt hasn't been playing. TJ, Cam, Tuitt, and Highsmith would be tough to beat. When we look at roster construction and the flaws that come with it, I really don't think it was the Steelers missing on talent or avoiding gaps, I just think it was more having a bad read on availability of guys that were, at the time, on the roster. They didn't expect to have Tuitt down this long (or at all). They expected Banner AND Decastro back. So when we didn't make more of an effort at CB...its probably because they thought the 4 man rush would be deadly (it would have been). And when we didn't go get more OL help, they thought they already had 2 reinforcements in DDC and Banner.

Having those guys here and healthy (or at least in DDC's case, healthy enough to be average), greatly change the off-seasons strategy and how things projected. 

On 10/27/2021 at 3:48 PM, Dcash4 said:

I'm sorry, I'll punt from here. I don't do well with the "media is ruining everything" when it's the consumers of media who are doing it to ourselves.

You can give a man dirty water and he will drink it if he has not had a drink in days or he has no clean water to compare it to. Because you can do it, doesn't make it the right thing to do. 

The word INTEGRITY is missing from many in the media. I know I went on a bit of a rant, but that is my real issue. The integrity of journalism is gone with many in that industry. My thoughts may have come out like a blanket statement against the media, but it wasn't. There are some journalist who have integrity and honor in what they are reporting.

If you don't have a source or anything other than thought and opinion, then it is an editorial and not a story. Say so! Opinions are certainly not always facts nor are they always wrong either. But stand by what you say or think  and accurately report, don't make stuff up or run with rumors or lies. Hence my comment about why I enjoy and respect this forum. We don't all agree, we have different opinions, we may even think our opinions have more fact than they may actually have, but none of us are just outright spewing lies or twisting thoughts into reality.  Maybe our own realities. LOL

Truthfully this is actually the place that you could do that and get away with what mainstream media is doing more so.  When you are a journalist, you are suppossed to have integrity in what you report as fact. 

As you ask why reporters are more concerned with being first and not right or why they might ask questions in a press conference built by a rumor.....

My opinion is that the accountability bar has been lowered in the media. There is no standard and there is no accountability for even outright lying. If it is your opinion, put your name behind it and say OPINION or my thoughts. Don't tell a lie and say it is an unnamed source. One of my favorite quotes: "Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself." Unfortunately many in the media have a reputation of crap and they have zero honor when it comes to reporting the truth or facts. 

I nor should anyone who is genuinely interested in hearing the facts, truth, and even opinions of those who cover this team. Again, separate the truth from the opinions. 

just give it some thought as you refresh twitter for the 1,000th time or reload FF.com for the 80th during a break looking for something new and interesting.

Not a fan of Twitter and I don't even have an account. I am not a fan of FB or PFF.  The platforms are not bad, but what many have turned them into, I can do without. Just my opinion. Yes, I refresh the page here and some others that I respect to find out Steelers information. I love Steelers football. Don't manipulate my love of the game and team for lies, false rumors, or clickbait is all I am saying. 

So being mad at a reporter asking a question that is getting hundreds of thousands of tweets, replies, comments, articles, and airtime -- it would kinda make sense wouldn't it?

Truth is never defined by numbers nor should it be by interests or Tweets. I have no problem with the reporter asking the question after it came out. My problem is with the people who took an opinion and outright lied to snowball this lie up into something it wasn't. That lie created the question. They never talked to Coach T nor did he ever utter anything publicly to those who said that he is thinking about this whatever. Hat's off to Ryan Clark who said, yeah I may have started it by my "wishing." He actually wasn't responsible for the others who took off, ran with, and twisted a wish or opinion. That is the time of integrity that I would like to see more of. 

It is not just this story, but the many that have come out and will continue to come out without any basis, truth, or substantiation all to get me to read or click because I love Steelers football. That is wrong. Many people state their opinions and how they see things (me included), but that is just not the same as starting a false rumor and pretending it is fact.