Week Seven GDT: Bye Week Ramblings as Steelers are 3-3

Steeler Hitman

The Steelers are sitting at 3-3 going into the bye. Is that good, bad, or as expected?

Here is the Steeler Hitman's take of the Good, the bad, and the ugly through six games.

The-Good-the-Bad-and-the-Ugly.jpg

The Good.....

The-Good-The-Bad-and-The-Ugly-Featured-I

1. The team is 3-3 despite playing some pretty inconsistent football. Their best football still lies ahead.

2. The Steelers beat the Bills!!!

3. The Steelers rookies are heavily contributing with Najee Harris, Pat Freiermuth,  Kendrick Green, Dan Moore, Isaiah Loudermilk, and Tre Norwood logging heavy reps and making a contribution. 

4. Team is looking to get some healthy pieces back in the coming weeks with Zach Banner, Anthony McFarland and Stephon Tuitt looking to emerge from IR.

5. Despite how the played, they are still in contention for a play-off spot. They have a tough schedule ahead, but they are getting better each week. Can they jell and become more consistent?

greenlee.jpg

The Bad!!!!

1. OL has been hot mess at times. Despite all the talk about an improved rushing attack, Najee has eclipsed 100 yards rushing only once in six games and averages under 4 yards a carry despite having a much higher ability/potential.  Pass blocking has been an atrocity at times.

2. Big Ben has played like a nearly 40 year old QB.  He has missed open receivers and his accuracy has not been what it was in the past.

3. Injuries are a part of the game, but the Steelers have been ravaged at some key positions. The sad part is that not everyone has bought into the "next man up" philosophy. 

eli-uglyjpg-34bfd44c049705c2.jpg

The Ugly!!!

1. The Steelers defense doesn't look elite. Heck not even top ten good right now.

2. Pass defense has been bad at times.

3. Run defense really misses Tyson and Tuitt. 

4. The Steelers could go 6-5 over the next 11 games and fortuitously be 9-8. Truthfully going 6-5 might be very tough the way they are playing. 

1029980736.jpeg

Watt's Up!!!

a7ee17b265dd5e64667e3129622769bf.jpg

Where's Minkah????

Edited by Steeler Hitman
Working on Thread. Not finished yet
  • Like 1

may i say right, for all the ****housery we've put up with we're technically in a playoff spot. don't know why i say technically, we unequivocally are. a win for the broncos tomorrow would do us well, and with all of cleveland's injuries it's eminently possible.

let's get the lads healthy and retool for a real charge.

11 minutes ago, jebrick said:

They beat a Denver team that was not as good as their record and barely beat a Seattle team on their backup QB.  This team is vying for a 9-8 record at best.  Does anyone think they can win more than one game in the Division?

Realistically, no. It wouldn't surprise me if we split with every team in the division, though. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if we swept Cleveland and Baltimore. This is a weird team.

I gotta say....Minkah has been pretty bad this year and is pretty one dimensional.   Im not feeling a huge contract for him.    I know safeties are very hard to find, but Im not down for paying huge money to such a feast or famine player.   

Edited by 43M

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

They beat a Denver team that was not as good as their record and barely beat a Seattle team on their backup QB.  This team is vying for a 9-8 record at best.  Does anyone think they can win more than one game in the Division?

That depends on if the Ravens have the #1 seed wrapped up by the Jan 9 game :)

Looking at the schedule, I expected the Steelers to be anywhere from 2-4 to 4-2. So, 3-3 is about right. Beating Buffalo was a surprise to me, as was losing to Cinci. So I guess it evens out.

Looking closer at the team's performance, it is kind of amazing they are not 0-6 or 1-5:

• Ben has played very poorly overall, despite having better games lately. He is still missing too many throws, and he is still not reading the D very well.
  • LT Moore is not as bad as he was to start the season, but he is still getting beat regularly, and forcing Ben to make quick decisions.
  • C Green has improved, but he has trouble as well both in passing and running plays.
  • LG Dotson has been horrible at times, which makes that side of the line a big liability.
  • Almost any running play that requires Ebron to make a block fails.
  • The D has been disappointing at times. Despite a few stellar plays here and there, they are giving up chunks and missing assignments all over the field.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, cjfollett said:

LT Moore is not as bad as he was to start the season, but he is still getting beat regularly, and forcing Ben to make quick decisions.

C Green has improved, but he has trouble as well both in passing and running plays.

This should have been expected. 

Two mid round project lineman starting as rookies.    The fact that they have held up as well as they have is actually pretty encouraging for the future.

• LG Dotson has been horrible at times, which makes that side of the line a big liability.

Dotson was simply never as good as Steeler fans wanted to believe.    Just another player who got overrated based on a limited sample.

• The D has been disappointing at times. Despite a few stellar plays here and there, they are giving up chunks and missing assignments all over the field.

I mean, the secondary was almost as much of a mess as the OLine from the beginning.   Tuitts been out.   We lost our best run defender in Alualu.   Only two consistently dependable players have been Watt and Cam.

Also doesnt help that our offense is booty.

On the Dline, they are kind of playing the hybrid defense I wanted to see but they need to dump Wormley for someone who can play 2 gap.  Losing Alualu really hurt because he would be that guy.  Wormley has zero sand in his pants.  Loudermilk looked great because he played 2 gap.

17 hours ago, 43M said:

This should have been expected. 

Two mid round project lineman starting as rookies.    The fact that they have held up as well as they have is actually pretty encouraging for the future.

Dotson was simply never as good as Steeler fans wanted to believe.    Just another player who got overrated based on a limited sample.

I mean, the secondary was almost as much of a mess as the OLine from the beginning.   Tuitts been out.   We lost our best run defender in Alualu.   Only two consistently dependable players have been Watt and Cam.

Also doesnt help that our offense is booty.

I agree with all of that. 

I think the biggest issue for this team on a general view is the O averaging only 19.5 points per game, while the D is giving up 22. They are not going to win a lot of games like this. 

I hope Carlos Davis and McFarland are back for the Cleveland game. Especially Davis. We need some interior heft on the defense. Buggs, Mondeaux, and Wormely aren’t the worst players in the world but none are really anything special. 

I thought Ballage looked sharp against Seattle. I’d still really like to see McFarland, though. 

Banner will be a welcomed addition. I think it will have a domino effect on the entire o-line. Chuks to LT, Moore to swing. 

Im excited for McFarland too I just hope they don’t try jamming him up the middle because he’s not built for success in that area like Najee is. Get him out in space on some screens and stretch plays.