2022 Coaching Candidates

BroncoBruin

Flores is worth an interview for sure, he’s had that Dolphins team pinching above their weight in recent years.

BUT - I see him as one of those coaches that can help a bad team get to .500 and compete for a wildcard. I doubt his teams will ever contend for championships.

If we do hire him it probably means a pivot towards trading for Deshaun Watson, who wanted to go to Miami specifically to play for him. I think the ownership situation makes that unlikely though, I can’t see Paton trading for Watson without an owner to sign off on it. 

7 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Flores is worth an interview for sure, he’s had that Dolphins team pinching above their weight in recent years.

BUT - I see him as one of those coaches that can help a bad team get to .500 and compete for a wildcard. I doubt his teams will ever contend for championships.

If we do hire him it probably means a pivot towards trading for Deshaun Watson, who wanted to go to Miami specifically to play for him. I think the ownership situation makes that unlikely though, I can’t see Paton trading for Watson without an owner to sign off on it. 

This is the one thing that gives me pause with Flores.  The appeal of both Hackett and Quinn is two-fold - their merit AND the appeal to Rodgers and Wilson respectively.  In a vacuum Flores is w/o a doubt my standalone top choice but how does that decision impact our ability to acquire Wilson/Watson/Rodgers?

Even if we don't hire Flores, we absolutely should interview him.    Much like how I like what Quinn brings in his approach/style/communication skills, Flores checks off the same boxes.   It would be a great comparison IMO.    He's hands down the best new candidate to enter the cycle, doesn't mean he's the right fit for us, but always good to interview a strong pool, he belongs there, total no-brainer.

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

I honestly don't understand why Miami fired Flores. Maybe there was friction with the front office or something but that's a surprise. He's a good coach, IMO. 

3 things:

1.  GM Grier is feeling the heat with horrible OL choices, and of course, Tua over Herbert (to be fair, a lot of ppl felt that way).

2. Owner Stephen Ross is VERY impatient.   Grier did this to save his own job.

3. Flores was very iffy on Tua - as others noted, a big proponent for Watson.    This does seem to signal MIA is sticking it out with Tua.  Something to remember - Tua wasn't ready physically to start, but Grier forced Flores to start him post-bye - and that cost them the playoffs (missed by 1 game).   It was clearly not Flores' call - and why Tua was pulled for Fitzmagic on 2+ occasions (rightfully so last year, Tua really has progressed this year, he was abysmal last year, part rookie year, part physical limitations).

I'm not sure Flores is all-in on Watson, but wasn't sold Tua will get a team there.   But overall, it's an awful decision by Ross to listen to Grier.   Couldn't put it better than Schwartz... and let's not forget he's the guy who hired Adam Gase as HC, too.

Edited by Broncofan

45 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Even if we don't hire Flores, we absolutely should interview him.    Much like how I like what Quinn brings in his approach/style/communication skills, Flores checks off the same boxes.   It would be a great comparison IMO.    He's hands down the best new candidate to enter the cycle, doesn't mean he's the right fit for us, but always good to interview a strong pool, he belongs there, total no-brainer.

Honest question: how do we know stuff like this? Like, besides ‘guys seem to like playing for him (which is said about 95% of coaches when they’re still employed)’, what’s the draw of Quinn? I look at the body of work and see two really good stints at DC, a lot of different experience in different places, but still a .500 record as a head coach while having a top 10 QB the entire time. 

Maybe he’ll succeed next time (I do like head coaches on second tenures). But we know nothing about the soft skills that these guys possess while working in the office. I just wanna know why I should be as excited as most Broncos fans seem to be about the possibility of hiring Dan Quinn. (Which is not to say that I’m against hiring him at all. Excitement levels just seem off the charts at this possibility.)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Honest question: how do we know stuff like this? Like, besides ‘guys seem to like playing for him (which is said about 95% of coaches when they’re still employed)’, what’s the draw of Quinn? I look at the body of work and see two really good stints at DC, a lot of different experience in different places, but still a .500 record as a head coach while having a top 10 QB the entire time. 

Maybe he’ll succeed next time (I do like head coaches on second tenures). But we know nothing about the soft skills that these guys possess while working in the office. I just wanna know why I should be as excited as most Broncos fans seem to be about the possibility of hiring Dan Quinn. (Which is not to say that I’m against hiring him at all. Excitement levels just seem off the charts at this possibility.)

Interviews with players he's coached who aren't there, beat reporters (even when he's gone), etc. all point the same way.    It's one thing when it's in-season, and the guy is still there.    Both Renck & Allbright are pretty adamant on this one, and it's shared by the SEA & ATL beat guys.   I mean, we can only go with the insiders & beat guys.    Much like everyone else, I ignore Klis (his last statements on Shurmur / McMahon lol).  

It's more telling what they say about a guy when he leaves about his flaws - and it's always about game management, while he's singled out for the other areas as big assets.   His interviews also speak well to his approachability and flexibility, along with being very accountable.

I mean, ultimately, we aren't in the room.  We have to trust Paton can see the right skills and flaws that are fixable/being addressed.   The willingness to learn/change and be flexible are huge leadership traits.    It's what sunk Fangio.

• Like 1

I wouldn't want anyone from the Belichick/New England tree here. So hard pass on Flores. I can't believe after the last 20 years - Mangini, Crennel, McDaniels, O'Brien, Patricia, Swartz, Judge - that people, especially people here who witnessed the McDaniels fiasco first-hand, would lobby to bring someone that system here. 

Did Flores do a better job than many others on that list? Yes. But clearly there had to be some serious problems for him to get canned after three years, maybe it was friction with Chris Grier, but it doesn't bode well. It's a moot point anyway, he will either run home to Belichick or Houston will hire him. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1