49ers DT Javon Kinlaw out for season

RaidersAreOne

On 4/22/2020 at 1:08 AM, Forge said:

I really can't stop thinking that Kinlaw is going to bust hard. 

On 4/24/2020 at 12:36 AM, Forge said:

Boy, I really hate that I feel this way now

*sigh* 

Confirmation bias, sure...but hard to take when I really wanted other players on the board. Hopefully the surgery will fix it, but I'm not holding my breath. This seems chronic. 

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

It seemed like a great idea at the time - using the high pick from trading Buckner... to draft his replacement

Well, thats actually not why they traded Buckner. 

They knew Joe Staley was retiring and that there were no LTs available in FA to fill the void.

They knew it was a great T draft with four potential franchise LTs in the top 15 picks.

They told Joe Staley to keep his retirement under wraps until after the draft.

They made the Buckner trade with the idea they would draft Tristan Wirfs. Blue chip talent at a premium position

Then, Trent Williams became available, and he wanted to be a 49er. They were able to work the back channels with Mike Shanahan and Trent told a few other teams he wouldnt play for them without a new deal and that he wanted to be the highest paid LT in the league 

A lot of other tackle needy teams drafted tackles in the first and second rounds that year. Trent william's market dried up and the 49ers were the last team standing. 

Pretty ballsy move by the 49ers FO because they had to pass on Wirfs before they traded for Trent Williams. So they pivoted to Kinlaw from Wirfs once they felt confident they would land Trent.

In hindsight, they should have stuck with the original plan and drafted Wirfs. McGlinchy is an ok player but he has a lot of warts. Wirfs and Williams would be the best T combo in the league. I hate McGlinchy lol

• Like 1

Just now, N4L said:

In hindsight, they should have stuck with the original plan and drafted Wirfs. McGlinchy is an ok player but he has a lot of warts. Wirfs and Williams would be the best T combo in the league. I hate McGlinchy lol

Not to mention that Wirfs could have easily started at RG while McG played through his contract or was traded. Hell, a lot of people thought Wirfs was going to end up at guard. And last I checked, we've had a pretty desperate need at RG since.....i dunno, forever. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not to mention that Wirfs could have easily started at RG while McG played through his contract or was traded. Hell, a lot of people thought Wirfs was going to end up at guard. And last I checked, we've had a pretty desperate need at RG since.....i dunno, forever. 

agreed 100%

I think this shows how much this regime gets tunnel vision. They were only focused on replacing Joe Staley they forgot about the rest of the OL. The fanbase didnt know Joe was retiring and was very much focused on the OL as a whole. The FO missed the forest for the trees, clearly. Putting wirfs at RG for a year and then getting rid of McGlinchy was probably the most popular choice by our forum outside of maybe CeeDee.

Instead, we picked up McGlinchy's 5th year option and now we have to pay this bum 10m for 2022, or extend him and be stuck with him for even longer. Unfortunately the 5th year option is no longer only guaranteed for injury, and is fully guaranteed at execution. Smh. 

When you look at some of the other questionable moves theyve made, they get so fixated on "their guy" and they assume the rest of the league sees what they see, so they trade up/overpay a FA to get a guy that they are overvaluing, which compounds the misses 

2 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I really thought he was gonna be the next big monster in the middle of that line. I guess that's why no teams have called to offer me a job 😥

To be fair, he is/was really showing a lot of promise. Absolute monster of a human being and was showing very clear improvements across the board. He had some very nice moments in his rookie year. He eats double teams and is a huge part of our 

The criticism of the pick/player has to do with the buckner trade, and his injury history/track record. IF what they are saying is true and that they did permanently fix the knee issue, then he is going to be a helluva football player. Big IF though

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Forge said:

*sigh* 

Confirmation bias, sure...but hard to take when I really wanted other players on the board. Hopefully the surgery will fix it, but I'm not holding my breath. This seems chronic. 

I wanted Kinlaw SO badly in the draft.  Hasn't he been very good, or has he just been sidelined by a lot of injuries?