THE WFT (2-6) BYE WEEK THREAD: MOVES TO MAKE/TRADES TO MAKE/GIFs TO POST

MikeT14

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

giphy.gif

The price has to be right, but let's not kid ourselves, Chase Young has not shown that he can single handedly be a game wrecker. 

His performance this year has been sub-par at best. If we get a couple firsts like the Raiders did for Mack, I take it. 

31 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

The price has to be right, but let's not kid ourselves, Chase Young has not shown that he can single handedly be a game wrecker. 

His performance this year has been sub-par at best. If we get a couple firsts like the Raiders did for Mack, I take it. 

#1 rated defender yesterday in the game fwiw

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Von Miller went for a #2 and a #3. Would you take the same for Payne?

This is difficult. We can't pay all of our DTs, and you can think oh we can just plug in Ioannidis or Settle after trading Payne. But I do think that Payne is better than both of those guys, and particularly the best run defender of any of our DTs. That being said, considering how our defense has not performed well this year maybe I'm overrated him and we should just take that deal. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

#1 rated defender yesterday in the game fwiw

I think Chase has all the capability to be an All-Star for many years. I still do not feel that our staff is in any position to bring out the best in our players. 

Like I said, the price has to be right, but I would be willing to move Chase Young if a good offer comes. 

40 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

This is difficult. We can't pay all of our DTs, and you can think oh we can just plug in Ioannidis or Settle after trading Payne. But I do think that Payne is better than both of those guys, and particularly the best run defender of any of our DTs. That being said, considering how our defense has not performed well this year maybe I'm overrated him and we should just take that deal. 

We don’t have a QB and really don’t have much else to pay outside of McLaurin. We can afford to keep them all. 

36 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

We don’t have a QB and really don’t have much else to pay outside of McLaurin. We can afford to keep them all. 

In the next year? Yeah. Probably not keeping Scherff. Leno might be sticking around now though. But after that? Flowers, The Greek, Schweitzer, Holcomb, Fuller, Sweat, maybe Young's extension, and Curl all coming up in next two. It needs to be considered. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Heinicke has significantly more upside than Allen.

I actually think the opposite.

Allen is not only 3 years younger, he also has enough arm to possibly be the guy. Doesn’t mean he will be — and I pretty adamantly stated last year when they were making the Haskins/Allen decision that I don’t think he will be — but it gives him at least enough ceiling to see it as a possibility. 

Heinicke, to me, is topped out at this point. He’s pretty much hit his best-scenario, in terms of maximizing his actual abilities, by becoming a fringe NFL starter/quality backup. He has a below-average arm, he’s not particularly accurate, and he doesn’t read things at lightning speed. That combination not only limits the good things we can do with him at QB, it also unfortunately makes him fairly prone to doing things that hurt us. He’s a fun guy to root for, and I think he’s an excellent backup QB for us (at least as long as Scott Turner is here), but where’s it going from here? Where’s he going to improve? He’d have to become a substantially better thrower of the football, and that doesn’t really happen to 28-year-olds. 

With Allen, you’ve at least got a guy with the physical profile of a good NFL QB. He’s got some legs, he’s got some arm, he could be a solid starting QB if it all clicks. And he also has a lot of knowledge of the offense, so he’s got that going for him as well. We tend to forget that he actually played pretty decently for us last season before he got hurt — and in fairness, that’s probably because we played some garbage teams and also because he pretty much single-handedly cost us the one NYG game. But he had a 99.3 rating in his 4 starts and (if PFR is to be believed) a very impressive 74.6 QBR. If he was able to build on that, we might really have something. 

All that said, I don’t really think it matters. I don’t think either of them is The Guy™️ and I never have. They should have been competing for the long-term backup job this past offseason, and I think that’s what they should be doing now. But we gave Heinicke a fair try at the starting job, and I kinda think we should do the same for Allen. You never know what he might do with the opportunity, and it certainly can’t hurt to get a little more game film on him to help make the determination of who they should keep long-term as the backup and who they should cut loose. Worst case scenario, it turns out he’s worse than Heinicke — and then we know that moving forward, and we successfully tank the rest of this year to give this staff their best shot at landing a long-term QB once and for all. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Von Miller went for a #2 and a #3. Would you take the same for Payne?

I would. 

I just think the roster balance on the defense is off-kilter right now. Allen and Payne both deserve full-time snaps, but that means Ioannidis doesn’t get them — which in turn means that Settle gets far fewer snaps than his play really warrants. And then at other spots (looking at you, back seven), we’ve got guys on the field who aren’t earning their keep. Spreading out the talent on the defense, instead of having it so very concentrated in that one unit, seems like a necessity at this point. So if you could turn Payne into a quality WLB and FS, and let Greek and Settle absorb his snaps, I think it’s a better defense overall. 

That’s before we even get to the money issue. I think it’s probably possible to pay all 4 of the top DL guys if they really wanted to...but does it make sense? If they were dominating and winning games for us, maybe it would. But they aren’t. So is it really a group we can’t possibly afford to break apart? I don’t think so. I think with Allen, Sweat, and Young in place, you could put a lot of players in at that other DT spot and get solid play. Particularly in the run game, which is still where Payne is most effective in my eyes. Save that money on Payne, spend some of it on keeping Greek and Settle in place, and then go out and get yourself a nice RG or something. 

In short, my thought is that they’ve tried this “pour everything into the DL and let them dominate” strategy, and it doesn’t seem to have paid off tremendously. I think they need to diversify a little more. They could still field a very good DL without Payne, and it might free them up to field a better back 7 or add another piece on offense. 

• Like 3