THE WFT (2-6) BYE WEEK THREAD: MOVES TO MAKE/TRADES TO MAKE/GIFs TO POST

MikeT14

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I actually think the opposite.

Allen is not only 3 years younger, he also has enough arm to possibly be the guy. Doesn’t mean he will be — and I pretty adamantly stated last year when they were making the Haskins/Allen decision that I don’t think he will be — but it gives him at least enough ceiling to see it as a possibility. 

Heinicke, to me, is topped out at this point. He’s pretty much hit his best-scenario, in terms of maximizing his actual abilities, by becoming a fringe NFL starter/quality backup. He has a below-average arm, he’s not particularly accurate, and he doesn’t read things at lightning speed. That combination not only limits the good things we can do with him at QB, it also unfortunately makes him fairly prone to doing things that hurt us. He’s a fun guy to root for, and I think he’s an excellent backup QB for us (at least as long as Scott Turner is here), but where’s it going from here? Where’s he going to improve? He’d have to become a substantially better thrower of the football, and that doesn’t really happen to 28-year-olds. 

With Allen, you’ve at least got a guy with the physical profile of a good NFL QB. He’s got some legs, he’s got some arm, he could be a solid starting QB if it all clicks. And he also has a lot of knowledge of the offense, so he’s got that going for him as well. We tend to forget that he actually played pretty decently for us last season before he got hurt — and in fairness, that’s probably because we played some garbage teams and also because he pretty much single-handedly cost us the one NYG game. But he had a 99.3 rating in his 4 starts and (if PFR is to be believed) a very impressive 74.6 QBR. If he was able to build on that, we might really have something. 

All that said, I don’t really think it matters. I don’t think either of them is The Guy™️ and I never have. They should have been competing for the long-term backup job this past offseason, and I think that’s what they should be doing now. But we gave Heinicke a fair try at the starting job, and I kinda think we should do the same for Allen. You never know what he might do with the opportunity, and it certainly can’t hurt to get a little more game film on him to help make the determination of who they should keep long-term as the backup and who they should cut loose. Worst case scenario, it turns out he’s worse than Heinicke — and then we know that moving forward, and we successfully tank the rest of this year to give this staff their best shot at landing a long-term QB once and for all. 

Yup. I read an article just recently that the author was taking apart the whole "should be treat Taylor like a rookie". In it he mentioned that by the time NFL QBs are Taylor's age, you know what they are and the % chance that they will magically transform and be a Pro Bowl or Super Bowl winning QB drop precipitously (Kurt Warner notwithstanding). He mentioned that Allen is only 25 (correct?) so there's still some time for him to either develop into something or not. 

And then you get into the physical tools that Allen has (I think he was one of the Top 5 recruits in the whole country coming out of HS) and the switch should be to Allen if the goal is to evaluate the roster. 

• Like 3

Probably goes without saying, but my expectation is that they’ll make absolutely no moves at the trade deadline. 

They can’t possibly justify adding anyone at this point — but it’s awfully tough for a coach of an underachieving team to willfully choose to make it even weaker by trading away players for draft picks. I assume they’ll dangle guys like Collins and Humphries and maybe Settle, find lukewarm interest, and just stand pat. 

• Like 3

I know most in this forum won’t believe this bc how active I’ve been for over a decade and talk non-stop about the team and things I want to see/players I like etc, but even I find myself starting to lose interest in this team recently. I was never too excited about this team - as some were - bc I never believed in our QB situation at all but, I don’t know, Rivera doesn’t excite me, the offense barely excites me and all the defense does is seem to disappoint me. 

As crazy as it seems, I’m about checked out of this team as currently constructed.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

dumbledore-welp.gif

If there are no calls coming in, hey, you can’t do anything about that. If they don’t want what you have, you can’t make them call.

No calls going out is malpractice. Do your god damn job. There’s no way there’s no possible deal out there that could make a dreadful 2-6 football team better. Willfully standing pat with this roster is pathetic.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, e16bball said:

If there are no calls coming in, hey, you can’t do anything about that. If they don’t want what you have, you can’t make them call.

No calls going out is malpractice. Do your god damn job. There’s no way there’s no possible deal out there that could make a dreadful 2-6 football team better. Willfully standing pat with this roster is pathetic.

Bottom line is he sucks. Right now Rivera sucks and the record of the team is not only a reflection on the players but on him and his team building/his coaching and management of his coaches.

39 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I know most in this forum won’t believe this bc how active I’ve been for over a decade and talk non-stop about the team and things I want to see/players I like etc, but even I find myself starting to lose interest in this team recently. I was never too excited about this team - as some were - bc I never believed in our QB situation at all but, I don’t know, Rivera doesn’t excite me, the offense barely excites me and all the defense does is seem to disappoint me. 

As crazy as it seems, I’m about checked out of this team as currently constructed.

Meme Reaction GIF

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RSkinGM said:

That's just your head talking. Can't control your heart . Come on down off the ledge . we've all been there . 💘@turtle28

Dude I’ve been there since before the Rivera hire. Hated it. Dude had as many winning seasons in Carolina as Bruce Allen had here. But for this to be bad enough to flip @turtle28……….it’s really bad. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Gross negligence seems to be the MO with this organization no matter who leads on the sidelines or in the front office or in the business office

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

That's just your head talking. Can't control your heart . Come on down off the ledge . we've all been there . 💘

It’s not that I don’t care, I’ve just lost some interest. There’s no excitement for this team right now and Rivera doesn’t breath any excitement into it with his ho hum attitude. He seems to be ok with the status of quo and for as much as I didn’t agree with Gruden and Shanahan in a lot of areas they were never content with the status quo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I feel you, my friend. I’m feeling the same thing — I think most of us are. 

It feels hopeless at the moment. Because we look down the path to the future, and it looks a whole lot like a bunch of doing the same thing we’ve always done. They’ll draft a QB this year, but as always, it will be the wrong year to take a QB. And we won’t even get the best of a bad crop because we’ll assuredly win a few games to end up with 6 wins instead of 3. And so that will be something new to talk about — but it won’t be a new conversation, it’ll be the same old conversations, just with new names inserted into them. Like Mad Libs. 

The part that’s really making this the most painful for me is the defense. That development has knocked me for a loop this season. I really believed this defense was going to be great. You look at the talent level and...how could it not be? You look at the performance from last season and...how could it not be? We all could reasonably have expected a regression to the mean, with such a huge jump in their performance and a much more difficult schedule. But this has been so much more than a regression — they are absolutely awful. It’s impossible to wrap your head around. How does that happen? Does that happen to anyone else BUT US? It doesn’t feel like it. 

For me, if that young defense can somehow go from 3rd in the league in DVOA to 29th, with no major injuries or personnel losses, we’re just cursed. I don’t know how else to explain it. It feels like we’re fans of the Red Sox or Cubs — we don’t know how it’s going to go wrong every single year...but we know that it IS going to go wrong.

• Like 3

I want to believe that our luck with rooting for this joke of a franchise is going change, but it just doesn't. It's a continuous cycle that I go through, Sundays after the game I contemplate wanting to have 600 vodkas just to go to sleep and not wake up for a couple days. Then Monday I don't want to talk to anyone, Tuesday (and everyday but mainly Tuesday) I want to fire everyone and start over. Then Wednesday and Thursday come around and I think we just have bad luck and our defense is going to show up and we're going to win a game because of them. Then Friday and Saturday I have myself talked into us winning that week. I truly don't know what is wrong with me because I know it's not ever going to be good, but I just want this team to win so bad.