Jimmy Garoppolo traded to Niners

Texansfan713

19 hours ago, packerrfan74 said:

It was, but you guys fell behind to Dallas so quick.. it was 14-0.. what 5 minutes into the game? Doesn't equal any kind of chance at success when they eliminate your run game, your OL is a mess, and you're facing one of the better group of pass rushers this season. And then you had to go on the road to take on the best team in the NFL. And now he has to go up against the Cardinals coming off of a bye.. tough start for Beat Hard.

But yes, he's never gonna carry your team to a SB but he could be a low end starter in this league quite easily with the right talent around him. 

You must be a big fan of his to keep defending him for pages on end. They got a better QB for fairly low risk. Who cares about CJ Beathard?

1 minute ago, Bullet Club said:

You must be a big fan of his to keep defending him for pages on end. They got a better QB for fairly low risk. Who cares about CJ Beathard?

That's the purpose of this site right? Feel free to complain about discussion on a football forum all you would like bud. My main point was that Garoppolo is not going to fare much better then how any other QB on that roster has this season. It's not even about the talent of the QB. Jimmy has proven more.

And yeah, I watched Beathard lead my team to an undefeated regular season and a play away from our first B1G Championship in 11 years, battling injuries all the way through. Dude's a warrior. And the 49ers should care about Beathard, seeing as they just invested a 3rd round pick into him. 

19 hours ago, Geek said:

I think you misunderstood. I'm not afraid of Jimmy getting hurt, I'm afraid we might win some games. I want this team to tank hard so we can move a top pick for a bunch of good players. I wouldn't mind him playing some games towards the end of the season but I really don't want to lose out on the top 2 picks. If all goes well we could have a franchise QB and a ton of picks heading into 2019. I don't see this team going anywhere for the next couple of years regardless if Jimmy plays at a high level or not. So I want to be able to build this team for the longterm.

You might trade back now anyway, now that you don't have to draft a QB. Get the draft pick back, build the OL.

20 hours ago, N4L said:

The pats could have shown Brady the door, similar to the fashion in which the 49ers traded Montana because they wanted to go with a younger steve (pun intended), at which point Garoppolo would have probably stayed as the guaranteed starter.

The Pats elected to keep their version of Joe Montana. Ultimately thats what this trade was about - let steve young walk for nothing, trade him and get something, or trade Joe Montana. You cant keep Steve and Joe on the same team anymore, just wasn't possible. The Pats are betting that Brady wont have back issues lol

You have to think Garoppolo wanted to be a starter somewhere. No one wants to ride the bench. Would YOU take LESS money to watch other players win games? You are lying to yourself if you think you would. 

I think its funny how skittish some people seem about trading with the Pats. As if the ONLY reason they would to trade a player is because he stinks, or that every player there is a system player who couldn't possibly amount to anything outside of that building. Ive seen people say we gave up way too much and Ive seen people say the Pats didnt get enough. Its ludicrous  

The bottom line is that Garoppolo is much better than any qb we could have taken with the 34th pick. The money is a non-factor for us. Liking this more as I watch more highlights of the guy. That release is incredible. 

Agreed. Spot on.

If BB was sure that JG was NOT the guy, he would have traded him before the last chance saloon (which this was). He was trying to roll with both QBs for as long as he could, and it just turned out to be unsustainable. 

BB has shown a new side. He's chose the option for the short-term, not long term. He's also gambling on health. JG was definitely the plan for the future, they just didn't expect Brady to be playing at this level for so long like he has. 

They left it this late because they were using JG as insurance. If our 40 year old QB shows signs of the cliff, we pull the trigger and JG gets a guarantee. Just so happens, Brady is putting up his second best numbers ever......BB's hands are tied there. This was out of necessity, not desire.

15 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

That's the purpose of this site right? Feel free to complain about discussion on a football forum all you would like bud. My main point was that Garoppolo is not going to fare much better then how any other QB on that roster has this season. It's not even about the talent of the QB. Jimmy has proven more.

And yeah, I watched Beathard lead my team to an undefeated regular season and a play away from our first B1G Championship in 11 years, battling injuries all the way through. Dude's a warrior. And the 49ers should care about Beathard, seeing as they just invested a 3rd round pick into him. 

So it's bias. That's what I wanted to know.

10 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

So it's bias. That's what I wanted to know.

Similar to all the Pats fans who say that Jimmy is the second coming of Jesus, right? Or is that not bias?

Literally the first thing I said about Beathard is that he hasn't looked good... but I guess thats defending him? 9_9

22 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Ironic that for months we've been hearing how JG is pretty much untreadable for 2 firsts because he's a future franchise QB no matter where he goes...then the day after he's dealt, suddenly people are now saying NE wasn't sold he was their future guy.

How about the simpler conclusion that NE played a long game bluff trying to force buyers into an insane price, and when the clock ran zero, took the best deal that was offered, and by the sounds of it, same offer before Draft Day (CLE 2.1), just from a different team (SF) and the following year?   Nothing wrong with that conclusion, I don't blame NE for trying to drive the price up, but if they don't make the deal before the deadline expires, they at best get an end-of-3rd round comp pick, and only if they don't outspend for incoming players what Jimmy G would have received in FA.    They probably got the best offer available - the bluff didn't work, but they played the hand out completely, and right to the end, hoping someone would bite - and when no buyer bit, they made the no-brainer call with what was on the table.  

Sometimes the simplest explanation works best.

I think this is a rare situation where you're giving BB too much credit there. I don't think they were trying to force buyers into an insane price, because I think the demand was there in March and April. Teams were prepared to over-spend on JG, but BB genuinely wanted both QBs. He needed JG to stay, because he wasn't sure how Brady was going to look. 

I don't think BB needed to drive the price up, he just needed to make a decision whilst the demand was at it's highest. He didn't make the decision, and it's gotten to the trade deadline where he's cut his losses and gone for SF (who he respects, and who will do well for JG). 

I think in April, Quarterback-needy teams were faced with one of the worst draft classes in years at the position (forget how it's turned out) and the FA class wasn't much better. Garoppolo was due just $895,077 for 2017. Not only would that be workable for cap-needy teams, but it also would create leverage in working a long-term deal. Jimmy also had a rating of 119 before injury the previous season, so we had SO MUCH leverage, I reckon. But we didn't take it. You're right, BB was sold that he was our future. Just couldn't roll with 2, and he can't trade Tom. 

I like the move for SF. The dude was drafted in round 2 and you basically traded a guy that's been around the league for quite some time now. So not only does he have the physical talent his mental make up should be better than any rookie that will be coming into 2018. Ideally you play him in a couple weeks but the way his supporting cast is set up....Oh boy.

They need OL and WR help in the worse way possible.

6 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I think this is a rare situation where you're giving BB too much credit there. I don't think they were trying to force buyers into an insane price, because I think the demand was there in March and April. Teams were prepared to over-spend on JG, but BB genuinely wanted both QBs. He needed JG to stay, because he wasn't sure how Brady was going to look. 

I don't think BB needed to drive the price up, he just needed to make a decision whilst the demand was at it's highest. He didn't make the decision, and it's gotten to the trade deadline where he's cut his losses and gone for SF (who he respects, and who will do well for JG). 

I think in April, Quarterback-needy teams were faced with one of the worst draft classes in years at the position (forget how it's turned out) and the FA class wasn't much better. Garoppolo was due just $895,077 for 2017. Not only would that be workable for cap-needy teams, but it also would create leverage in working a long-term deal. Jimmy also had a rating of 119 before injury the previous season, so we had SO MUCH leverage, I reckon. But we didn't take it. You're right, BB was sold that he was our future. Just couldn't roll with 2, and he can't trade Tom. 

That's possible - but it's also possible the market just wasn't there.   We'll never know though either way.  

What's pretty clear is that NE didn't suddenly lose faith in JG as our future - if they had, they would have taken any deal they could have that was supposedly there (even 1 first was insane IMO).   It's just revisionist history when ppl start saying "NE clearly lost faith in the last 8 games that JG was our future" - he didn't play at all.   There's nothing that suddenly changes NE's opinion on JG as a QB - the only thing that's changed is that the window to trade him was closing, if NE wasn't going to franchise tag him (which clearly by their actions, they weren't).  You weren't the one to say it, but it's what sparked my OP, so all good.

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

That's possible - but it's also possible the market just wasn't there.   We'll never know though either way.  

What's pretty clear is that NE didn't suddenly lose faith in JG as our future - if they had, they would have taken any deal they could have that was supposedly there (even 1 first was insane IMO).   It's just revisionist history when ppl start saying "NE clearly lost faith in the last 8 games that JG was our future" - he didn't play at all.   There's nothing that suddenly changes NE's opinion on JG as a QB - the only thing that's changed is that the window to trade him was closing, if NE wasn't going to franchise tag him (which clearly by their actions, they weren't).  You weren't the one to say it, but it's what sparked my OP, so all good.

Oh no, he was our future alright. If somehow we could dual wield both QBs (we couldn't) or if Tom dropped off, he was there. BB wanted him there as the heir. Otherwise, we would have traded him in March probably to Cleveland, who apparently were willing to trade a first. I don't necessarily believe that, but Hue is on record saying he wanted JG. 

1 hour ago, packerrfan74 said:

Could have easily been a deal where Shanahan told him his role straight up after he was drafted. Like he did with Cousins where he said the reason why they drafted him was to develop him later down the line to trade him. Different situation obviously because RGIII was drafted that same year as the franchise guy, but the 49ers were going to go out and get someone as their own franchise guy after the season anyway. 49ers just pulled the trigger here because they were in prime position to get ahead before the free agent fiasco started. Lynch and Shanahan inquired about getting Jimmy around the draft months ago. Patriots shot it down then. 

41 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

Similar to all the Pats fans who say that Jimmy is the second coming of Jesus, right? Or is that not bias?

Literally the first thing I said about Beathard is that he hasn't looked good... but I guess thats defending him? 9_9

I guess posting about him for 10+ pages excusing his issues and implying he needs to be given more of an opportunity isn't defending him to you. I don't know what you want from me now. You admitted your bias, I got the reasoning I wanted. I don't really care about it anymore.

Archived