Jimmy Garoppolo traded to Niners

Texansfan713

“The 49ers are now presented with an interesting opportunity. They can offer Garoppolo a large contract extension now and use up a ton of their 2017 cap room in the process making things much easier down the line if he becomes Rob Johnson. The 49ers haven’t signed a premier player contract since Colin Kaepernick a few years ago and in general are one of the tougher organizations with contracts. I’m not sure if they can do that with him given what they just moved for him.” (https://overthecap.com/49ers-trade-garoppolo)

They should pull the trigger. They already made their gamble, now they need to pay him a lot of money to count against the 2017 cap room, to have him for 2 or 3 more seasons on basically rookie deal type of numbers.

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I never said the supporting cast around him is great, but he hasn't flashed AT ALL. Expecting Beathard to play well is unrealistic, but expecting him to show something is not. What does a bad supporting cast have to do with him throwing behind the intended receiver damn near every single time? What does a bad supporting cast have to do with his lack of arm strength? Only good thing he has done is his occasional scrambles. It is one thing to lack arm strength, but also to be so wildly inaccurate? Yeah, I'm sorry but that's as bad of a combo as you could have as an QB. Obviously I want him to succeed as he is on the Niners, so hopefully he at least improves on his accuracy over the next year or so.

To  be fair, he is a rook and probably hasn't built timing with the receivers. Probably didn't get a lot of reps in practice sessions. Now he's the starter on an awful team. But I get your point. Jacoby Brissett looks ok on a bad team, and he arrived there at the start of the season.

4 minutes ago, brazilianguy said:

“The 49ers are now presented with an interesting opportunity. They can offer Garoppolo a large contract extension now and use up a ton of their 2017 cap room in the process making things much easier down the line if he becomes Rob Johnson. The 49ers haven’t signed a premier player contract since Colin Kaepernick a few years ago and in general are one of the tougher organizations with contracts. I’m not sure if they can do that with him given what they just moved for him.” (https://overthecap.com/49ers-trade-garoppolo)

They should pull the trigger. They already made their gamble, now they need to pay him a lot of money to count against the 2017 cap room, to have him for 2 or 3 more seasons on basically rookie deal type of numbers.

Per Rapoport, no extension is close at this point in time (doubt that they have discussed it as of yet - the deal was only broached yesterday per schefty), so I dont' know that we get a long term deal locked up for 2017 cap purposes, but it could happen I suppose if we put a ton of energy into it. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I never said the supporting cast around him is great, but he hasn't flashed AT ALL. Expecting Beathard to play well is unrealistic, but expecting him to show something is not. What does a bad supporting cast have to do with him throwing behind the intended receiver damn near every single time? What does a bad supporting cast have to do with his lack of arm strength? Only good thing he has done is his occasional scrambles. It is one thing to lack arm strength, but also to be so wildly inaccurate? Yeah, I'm sorry but that's as bad of a combo as you could have as an QB. Obviously I want him to succeed as he is on the Niners, so hopefully he at least improves on his accuracy over the next year or so.

He's never had a big arm. He was never the most accurate but he's also never had a good receiver... college or NFL.

Hard to pin poor accuracy on him when he gets lit up every other play. That panic timer going off in the back of his head surely leads to several errant throws.

3 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

He's never had a big arm. He was never the most accurate but he's also never had a good receiver... college or NFL.

Hard to pin poor accuracy on him when he gets lit up every other play. That panic timer going off in the back of his head surely leads to several errant throws.

Oh no, that's exactly what I'm doing. There are times he ISN'T getting hit and the ball is still thrown behind the receiver. This was a constant theme even preseason when there was far less pass rush. 

You just said he's never had a big arm nor is he accurate. I'm just trying to figure out how exactly he will succeed in the NFL without either of those two things. It's pretty simple, he won't unless his accuracy improves. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Oh no, that's exactly what I'm doing. There are times he ISN'T getting hit and the ball is still thrown behind the receiver. This was a constant theme even preseason when there was far less pass rush. 

You just said he's never had a big arm nor is he accurate. I'm just trying to figure out how exactly he will succeed in the NFL without either of those two things. It's pretty simple, he won't unless his accuracy improves. 

Of course there are. But the fact that this has to be said should tell you the situation ANY QB would be stepping into with SF. 

I didn't say he wasn't accurate.. I'm saying he is never gonna be the guy leading the league in completion percentage and driving the ball surgically down the field.. or maybe he will because we are yet to see, in his collegiate and NFL career, him throw to anyone other than an average at best WR. He didn't stand a chance in the Dallas game since it was 14-0 almost off the bat. 

Garoppolo is a far better QB than Beathard from what we have seen. I am very curious to see how ole Jimmy will fare in the SF offence. My bet is not much better

I don't need him to be Peyton Manning level accurate, but he better be above average in that department if he has a weak arm. Right now he may THE most inaccurate QB in the league. So lets work on him having average accuracy first and foremost.

I'm not saying he walked into a good situation but this is a bad one no doubt. But he's also just flat out BAD. And truthfully, I knew he wasn't ready to play this season from the preseason and was one of the few in the Niners forum that wanted to tick with Hoyer....Up until Hoyer kept sucking so bad that Shanny had no choice but to give Beathard a shot. 

1 minute ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Kept him. Sign him to an extension.

A part of me thinks that brady was jealous. Garappolo is a younger, more talented, and better looking. 

Do you ever get tired of being the worst poster, and the biggest troll, on this site?

3 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Just let CJ be the punching bag for the rest of the season and maybe play Jimmy the last couple of games. Harsh, but at least the guy you invested a second round pick in doesn't get killed. 

This is what I'd prefer to happen. This season is pretty much over. Lets gun for a top pick to trade to a QB hungry team, franchise Jimmy, and sign him to an LTD if he shows what we think he can in 2018. If Jimmy looks like trash,  we can package those picks and trade up for a QB that Shanny likes in the 2018 draft. 

Just now, Geek said:

This is what I'd prefer to happen. This season is pretty much over. Lets gun for a top pick to trade to a QB hungry team, franchise Jimmy, and sign him to an LTD if he shows what we think he can in 2018. If Jimmy looks like trash,  we can package those picks and trade up for a QB that Shanny likes in the 2018 draft. 

Apparently, he doesn't like any of them in the 18 draft

5 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Kept him. Sign him to an extension.

A part of me thinks that brady was jealous. Garappolo is a younger, more talented, and better looking. 

It takes 2 to get an extension done. Jimmy g wasn't signing

Archived