Jimmy Garoppolo traded to Niners

Texansfan713

1 hour ago, LaserFocus said:

The bottom line is that New England just wasn't sold on JG as the future QB for the Patriots. Brady's decline/retirement can happen at any time, and if the organization wanted to keep JG, they would have found a way to do so. This situation is different than Green Bay in the 90s, when everyone knew Favre had many years left. It's not up to Brady(or any player) to determine how long he's going to play. Diet and training help, but when the skills erode, that's it. After Peyton Manning's great 2013, some people thought he could play for years, but the decline began in 2014. 

We've seen a tendency of fans and media overrating players New England has acquired over the years. Prior to this season, the new backs from Buffalo and Cincinnati were suppose to be very productive with the Pats, and that's not happening.   

The pats could have shown Brady the door, similar to the fashion in which the 49ers traded Montana because they wanted to go with a younger steve (pun intended), at which point Garoppolo would have probably stayed as the guaranteed starter.

The Pats elected to keep their version of Joe Montana. Ultimately thats what this trade was about - let steve young walk for nothing, trade him and get something, or trade Joe Montana. You cant keep Steve and Joe on the same team anymore, just wasn't possible. The Pats are betting that Brady wont have back issues lol

You have to think Garoppolo wanted to be a starter somewhere. No one wants to ride the bench. Would YOU take LESS money to watch other players win games? You are lying to yourself if you think you would. 

I think its funny how skittish some people seem about trading with the Pats. As if the ONLY reason they would to trade a player is because he stinks, or that every player there is a system player who couldn't possibly amount to anything outside of that building. Ive seen people say we gave up way too much and Ive seen people say the Pats didnt get enough. Its ludicrous  

The bottom line is that Garoppolo is much better than any qb we could have taken with the 34th pick. The money is a non-factor for us. Liking this more as I watch more highlights of the guy. That release is incredible. 

8 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Kept him. Sign him to an extension.

A part of me thinks that brady was jealous. Garappolo is a younger, more talented, and better looking. 

According to Belichick, they did try to sign him to an extension. Garoppolo wanted to be a starter and didn't want to sign an extension. So now what should they have done?

@J-ALL-DAY I just rewatched that Redskins game.. don't know how you didn't see any flashes there. He connected on about every short-intermediate route. Great on his feet. And that TD pass he had to A. Robinson where he evaded the rush, stepped up in the pocket, and hit him deep in stride. That was a solid solid game for his first NFL action

5 minutes ago, Geek said:

This is what I'd prefer to happen. This season is pretty much over. Lets gun for a top pick to trade to a QB hungry team, franchise Jimmy, and sign him to an LTD if he shows what we think he can in 2018. If Jimmy looks like trash,  we can package those picks and trade up for a QB that Shanny likes in the 2018 draft. 

No way. Bring him in after the bye week. The guy has earned a shot. You can't be afraid of injury. Give the guy some film to break down in the off-season in Kyle's system. Give him experience with guys like Garcon etc

If he can't handle the pressure or can't elevate guys around him, then it gives us something to attack this off-season. It can also help us sign WR/TEs in the offseason if he does well. 

This is a perfectly healthy player you are talking about. Its not like Arik Armstead last year, who was playing with a torn labrum  

2 minutes ago, N4L said:

The pats could have shown Brady the door, similar to the fashion in which the 49ers traded Montana because they wanted to go with a younger steve (pun intended), at which point Garoppolo would have probably stayed as the guaranteed starter.

The Pats elected to keep their version of Joe Montana. Ultimately thats what this trade was about - let steve young walk for nothing, trade him and get something, or trade Joe Montana. You cant keep Steve and Joe on the same team anymore, just wasn't possible. The Pats are betting that Brady wont have back issues lol

Probably a worse situation like I said elsewhere. With Steve, the 49ers knew what they had. Montana essentially missed two years due to injury. Young shined partly in 1991 in half a season worth of games, and was league MVP in 1992. By the time Montana returned, it was time for Joe to leave (well not to the fans, Seifert, and ownership even after '92). He was already 37 and injury prone. 

Brady is 40 and playing like he has another few solid years ahead of him. Jimmy has shown potential, but is still a huge mystery overall.

4 minutes ago, N4L said:

No way. Bring him in after the bye week. The guy has earned a shot. You can't be afraid of injury. Give the guy some film to break down in the off-season in Kyle's system. Give him experience with guys like Garcon etc

If he can't handle the pressure or can't elevate guys around him, then it gives us something to attack this off-season. It can also help us sign WR/TEs in the offseason if he does well. 

This is a perfectly healthy player you are talking about. Its not like Arik Armstead last year, who was playing with a torn labrum  

True. I just don't want him to get Tim Couch disease. But it's only eight games. Seven really

9 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

@J-ALL-DAY I just rewatched that Redskins game.. don't know how you didn't see any flashes there. He connected on about every short-intermediate route. Great on his feet. And that TD pass he had to A. Robinson where he evaded the rush, stepped up in the pocket, and hit him deep in stride. That was a solid solid game for his first NFL action

That was far and away his best game so far. Both starts have been pretty bad. 

I like beathard overall, as he is one tough SOB for sure. Seems like a pretty solid backup QB to me. He has a loooooong way to go before he could be leaned on to carry a franchise to a superbowl. Hes not someone that would prevent you from going out and getting another guy. 

I do feel bad for him for the simple reason we literally have no healthy tackles right now, and he is going to get beat up pretty bad over the next 2-3 weeks and then once the tackles come back he is going to hit the bench. 

4 minutes ago, N4L said:

That was far and away his best game so far. Both starts have been pretty bad. 

I like beathard overall, as he is one tough SOB for sure. Seems like a pretty solid backup QB to me. He has a loooooong way to go before he could be leaned on to carry a franchise to a superbowl. Hes not someone that would prevent you from going out and getting another guy. 

I do feel bad for him for the simple reason we literally have no healthy tackles right now, and he is going to get beat up pretty bad over the next 2-3 weeks and then once the tackles come back he is going to hit the bench. 

It was, but you guys fell behind to Dallas so quick.. it was 14-0.. what 5 minutes into the game? Doesn't equal any kind of chance at success when they eliminate your run game, your OL is a mess, and you're facing one of the better group of pass rushers this season. And then you had to go on the road to take on the best team in the NFL. And now he has to go up against the Cardinals coming off of a bye.. tough start for Beat Hard.

But yes, he's never gonna carry your team to a SB but he could be a low end starter in this league quite easily with the right talent around him. 

The San Francisco 49ers acquired Jimmy Garoppolo in a trade with the New England Patriots on Monday night, and as a corresponding move, they apparently will be releasing Brian Hoyer.

One interesting twist to San Francisco releasing Hoyer is where he may end up. The Patriots traded third-string QB Jacoby Brissett to Indy before the season, and now they just dealt their second-string QB to San Francisco. They have a need for a backup, and Hoyer seems like a perfect fit.

Hoyer signed with the Patriots in 2009 and played with them for three seasons before moving on and eventually spending a few years as a starter in the league.

http://.com/football/49ers-release-brian-hoyer-sign-patriots/406025

13 minutes ago, N4L said:

I think you misunderstood. I'm not afraid of Jimmy getting hurt, I'm afraid we might win some games. I want this team to tank hard so we can move a top pick for a bunch of good players. I wouldn't mind him playing some games towards the end of the season but I really don't want to lose out on the top 2 picks. If all goes well we could have a franchise QB and a ton of picks heading into 2019. I don't see this team going anywhere for the next couple of years regardless if Jimmy plays at a high level or not. So I want to be able to build this team for the longterm.

Archived