Half-Way Point - Head Coach of the Year

goldfishwars

Halfway Poll - Head Coach of the Year  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your head coach of the year at the half-way point?

• Todd Bowles - Jets
    • Sean McDermott - Bills
    • Sean McVay - Rams
    • Doug Pederson - Eagles
    • Sean Payton - Saints
    • Andy Reid - Chiefs
    • Mike Zimmer - Vikings
    • Other (Please State)

Just now, jrry32 said:

No. What I'm telling you is that Fisher can't be the worst coach of all time when he has an above .500 record after 22 years as a NFL HC.

What I'm telling you is that this doesn't matter because Fisher was tied with Reeves for most losses in NFL history.  Reeves had 190 wins, 165 losses.  Fisher had 173 wins, 165 losses.  Your "above .500 record" excuse was above .500 by 8 games in 22 seasons.  Reeves had 11 seasons of 8 or less wins.  Fisher had 16 seasons of 8 wins or less. 

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

What I'm telling you is that this doesn't matter because Fisher was tied with Reeves for most losses in NFL history.  Reeves had 190 wins, 165 losses.  Fisher had 173 wins, 165 losses.  Your "above .500 record" excuse was above .500 by 8 games in 22 seasons.  Reeves had 11 seasons of 8 or less wins.  Fisher had 16 seasons of 8 wins or less. 

That's not an excuse, bud. It's called a fact.

I saw truly terrible coaches in Scott Linehan and Steve Spagnuolo. Fisher was better than them. He was a legitimate NFL HC, just not a good one.

Just now, jrry32 said:

That's not an excuse, bud. It's called a fact.

I saw truly terrible coaches in Scott Linehan and Steve Spagnuolo. Fisher was better than them. He was a legitimate NFL HC, just not a good one.

It's a fact by 8 games.  Fisher was a bad head coach who had good years.  I'm not seriously saying he was the worst head coach in NFL history, but as far as head coaches who have 15 or more years as a head coach... I'd say he was the worst.  You don't coach your team to 8 wins or less in 16/22 seasons if you're a good head coach. 

5 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

It's a fact by 8 games.  Fisher was a bad head coach who had good years.  I'm not seriously saying he was the worst head coach in NFL history, but as far as head coaches who have 15 or more years as a head coach... I'd say he was the worst.  You don't coach your team to 8 wins or less in 16/22 seasons if you're a good head coach. 

You're arguing against a straw man. My point, "Jeff Fisher isn't as bad as you're claiming to keep from giving the credit to McVay that he deserves. He has a record over .500 for a 22-season career." Your point, "Jeff Fisher is not a good coach. He only has a record of .500 after 22 years." My point, "I agree, he's not a good coach. He's just not an absolutely god awful coach, as evidenced by his .500 record." Your point, "I told you that Jeff Fisher isn't a good coach. Look at his .500 record."

Dude, you're not addressing my points.

And to address your final points, truly god awful coaches don't last 15 or more seasons in the NFL, so Fisher being the worst of a group of good coaches isn't saying much. He's not a good coach. I agree. He's just not Spagnuolo-level bad.

Just now, jrry32 said:

And to address your final points, truly god awful coaches don't last 15 or more seasons in the NFL, so Fisher being the worst of a group of good coaches isn't saying much. He's not a good coach. I agree. He's just not Spagnuolo-level bad.

I never said he was Spagnuolo bad.  I said he was 15+ years being a head coach bad.  Wasn't he close friends with the Rams owner? 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I never said he was Spagnuolo bad.  I said he was 15+ years being a head coach bad.  Wasn't he close friends with the Rams owner? 

I have no idea, but I don't think so.

My point is that Sean McVay deserves the credit for this turnaround. He is that good (as is his staff). We have arguably the three best coordinators in the NFL if we count McVay as a coordinator (since he's calling plays).

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'm trying to decide whether or not Jeff Fisher was that bad or if Sean McVay is that good.  I'm leaning to a middle ground because the Rams have been very impressive this year, but Fisher literally has the most losses in NFL history. 

Fisher is the worst long term coach in NFL history and should have never been allowed to coach as long as he was given. He was never completely inept at his job, but he peaked very early while refusing to adapt to any sort of way.

Just now, jrry32 said:

My point is that Sean McVay deserves the credit for this turnaround. He is that good (as is his staff). We have arguably the three best coordinators in the NFL if we count McVay as a coordinator (since he's calling plays).

I definitely agree with that. 

16 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Weren't you guys a bit down on Pederson before the season? 

Yeah, there was definitely some Eagles fans that questioned if he was the right guy heading into this year.

I was in wait and see mode. I take the first season with a grain of salt for a coach just like a quarterback.

Thought he did some good things making the offense easier for Wentz as a rookie, but he did some frustrating things time to time, but nothing really too bad.

I think he was kind of held back with Wentz and the weapons we had in year 1. 

Adding weapons and Carson being more comfortable and understanding the offense that much better has allowed him to really open the playbook and do a lot more.

• 1 month later...

I'm gonna bump this. It's still a three-way race between Zimmer, Pederson, and McVay. But I think it has to go to McVay just based on the narrative. The Rams haven't had a .500 season since 2006, a winning season since 2003, a playoffs appearance since 2004, and a division title since 2003. They were 4-12 last year. Now, they're in a position to finish 12-4 if they win out. The Rams also are tied with the Eagles for the #1 scoring offense after finishing 32nd in 2016.

Archived