Is a Belichick vs Brady Super Bowl LVI Match-up Inevitable?

incognito_man

7 hours ago, Broncofan said:

So far, it's teams that don't have either trait (LAC can't stop the D, and have become uber predictable in the pass game; CLE had zero O, which negated their D given they were on the field so much, and in terrible spots), that have lost to NE.      It's a fair point that no team is close to complete in the AFC (nor frankly the NFC this year), though. 

But to your Q - while still an issue, BUF's run D is vastly improved, at #12 by DVOA, IND is #2 (Wentz & Reich certainly don't make me feel great about their chances though), CIN #10 & BAL #6.    As a contrast, CLE is 17, TEN 18 & LAC #32).    The NE games vs. BUF & IND (notwithstanding Reich's total game mismanagement & Wentz's game-crushing mistake tendencies) will go a long way in showing how well the NE O adjusts vs. better run stopping D's.    

Did you mean either the team has to have a strong run D or an unpredictable offense, or did you mean the team needs both of those things?

if latter, Indie is a good example. I think Buffalo’s lack of run game means they cant be that unpredictable 

Edited by Hunter2_1

18 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Did you mean either the team has to have a strong run D or an unpredictable offense, or did you mean the team needs both of those things?

if latter, Indie is a good example. I think Buffalo’s lack of run game means they cant be that unpredictable 

Former, if you don't have a good run D, or an unpredictable O, NE will chew you up.    If you have either, you have a legit path to victory (LAC's predictability really has made them far more beatable than in September, double-whammy).   If you have both, you're rightfully favored by a fair margin (3+ pts) in a neutral setting.    I agree that IND has the best matchup....it's too bad they have the worst coaching game management and the most mistake prone-QB of the bunch.   Re: BUF, having Knox & Sanders & now Breida gives them far more options to keep the pass game going - as opposed to last year, where it was really the Diggs show, with a little Beasley (vs. zone) sprinkled in.   

Edited by Broncofan

Haven't done actual research, but there's that narrative that Bill is sh-hot against a team a second time round if having previously lost to them in the season.

If that's true, and this is the SB...makes it even more interesting. Although presumably Tampa would have Gronk this time, which clearly makes a difference to TB

• 2 weeks later...