Is a Belichick vs Brady Super Bowl LVI Match-up Inevitable?

incognito_man

TB is #1 in DVOA

NE is #3 in DVOA (#1 in AFC)

The storylines write themselves:

Will Brady remain healthy, finish the season strong, win an MVP and face Belichick in the Super Bowl?

Will Belichick lead the first rookie QB to a Super Bowl ever?

Is the 2021 NFL season a dress rehearsal and the league already knows the outcome?

Thoughts?

If it’s rigged and they want to go full Wrestle Mania with it.

I think one of them won’t make it. If Tennessee gets most of their injured players back for the playoffs they have a great chance. Green Bay could probably beat Tampa with what they have now. If they get Bakhtiari, ZDarius, and Jaire I’d take them in that matchup for sure.

Don't see it, for 2 main reasons:

1.   NE doesn't beat themselves - but their main MO for winning is by exposing teams that are predictable on O, and that can't stop the run effectively.   CLE's O is an abomination at this point, while LAC's O has become far too predictable in not being vertical (a part of the Lombardi O that Brees' uber efficiency-but-also-fading-deep-ball-talent masked as a system weakness, where ppl attributed it to Brees himself), and LAC can't stop the run at all.    TEN I think we can recognize they faced  a shell of the original team.     Point being - this is a recipe for regular season success, and BB deserves all the kudos he gets.   But that's not a formula that usually gets you into the AFCG/NFCG, let alone the SB.    Against better O's, or balanced teams, I expect BB to make it closer than it would seem on paper, but ultimately lose out this year.  

2.  On the flip side, the TAM D is very beatable via the air, and their stifling run D is all about Vita Vea & Devin White as the core.    If they are hurt, or they wear out, the run D gets exposed.    We've seen it far more this year than we did last year, simply because the secondary has been decimated with injuries.     On O, they'll get Antonio Brown back, which will help a lot - but teams have shown they can keep TB12 & the O off the field far more than they did in the 2H of last year.

I say the above as someone who backed Tampa hard as the dark horse SB winner to start the playoffs, and backed TAM every week, even as the dog vs. NO/GB, and of course, KC.     So many things have to go right to get there - and TAM's getting regression to the mean in terms of ill-timed / skill-vulnerable positions.     NE's just not quite there yet to beat far more balanced teams come playoff time.    I will say I don't have a clear idea of who's coming out of the AFC, but I'd guess it's either GB or the NFCW winner from that pack.    I'd pick TAM before NE, if I had to choose 1 team over the other.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2