Way too early 2022 offseason thoughts

warfelg

15 minutes ago, Cbrunn said:

Sucks watching the browns get Cooper for nothing 

And Bengals get Collins + a 3rd just to take his contract 

And we get Killebrew and maulet 

Hopefully better news to come

Cooper is nothing special.     Not a bad pickup, but there is a reason he got traded for so little.   Beyond that, didnt we got through this when they got Odell?    

Bengals got Collins?   Where are you seeing this?   I looked everywhere.   Either way, Bengals have a ton of cap space and are in better position to be making moves like that.   They are set at most positions.    We arent.

But I agree...I hope we actually make some moves.   

21 minutes ago, 43M said:

But I agree...I hope we actually make some moves.   

We won't.  KC has told us not to expect it.  And the guy doesn't smoke screen.  Never has.  Never will.  Even your "disappointing" offseason is going to look like an overestimate.

Sorry for the triple post, but I'm actually disappointed by this one because I thought he would be the under the radar vet you could chase if you wanted a cheap stopgap:

Cross a CB off the board:

Edited by warfelg

The only thing that gives me hope is that most of the Steelers moves that actually happen…never get rumored before they actually occur.

Off of memory I can’t think of any significant non draft related moves got leaked before they occurred…Minkah trade/Haden signing/Schobert deal/even most of the lower level signings like Haeg last year.

We’ll see what happens…I hope they’re aggressive…they can get a lot of deals done with how much cap room they get going into the 2023 offseason.

“I never view us as being that aggressive, front-of-the-line free agency team, we never have been, and I don’t anticipate that changing. But I can’t say it wouldn’t. I hate to say that because I am saying two different things, but, traditionally, we haven’t been because we haven’t had that cap room.”

That underlined point was always the key to his conversation to me. Front of the line. History continually shows you don't want to be the person to hand the biggest contract to the B players who reach Free Agency.

We have played in that second tier in FA, we just never have the room to do it a lot. This year they do. Whether they do or don't would still be a question, but I don't take anything from Colbert so far that tells me they won't. I just don't think we should expect the Steelers to sign the biggest money free agent or have the most cash spend this off-season. 

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

That underlined point was always the key to his conversation to me. Front of the line. History continually shows you don't want to be the person to hand the biggest contract to the B players who reach Free Agency.

We have played in that second tier in FA, we just never have the room to do it a lot. This year they do. Whether they do or don't would still be a question, but I don't take anything from Colbert so far that tells me they won't. I just don't think we should expect the Steelers to sign the biggest money free agent or have the most cash spend this off-season. 

That’s where I’m at.

Im not expecting them to go throw $100 mill contract at somebody…but there’s no reason they couldn’t do 2 B level signings…possibly 3.

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Some serious Debbie Downers in here lol

I'm very pessimistic.  KC has never been one for smoke screens much and his comments about not spending, continuing to take care of our own, and the like has got me VERY pessimistic that we're not going to make a major signing.  There's plenty of good teams that don't have the cap to retain good players who will be available.

Just off the top of my head there's Mattheau, Davis, Armstead, Reddick, Cedrick Wilson, Corbett.  I'm sure there's others out there that I'm not accounting for, but man there's actual quality this year out there because of the massive restructuring teams did in 2021 to make their cap work.

I didn't read the KC comments as him saying we weren't going to spend. IIRC he said we might be aggressive with our money but we might not be. After seeing Colbert's demeanor for the past however long, he doesn't seem like a guy who would be Tom Cruise jumping on the couch shouting that we're spending like crazy this year. I think people read into a comment exactly what they want to hear(which, I know, is exactly what I'm doing). 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, warfelg said:

As the saying goes, hope in one hand, crap in the other, and see which one fills up first.

The thing is that I’m looking for more towards 2023…I want the pieces in place for the QB of the future on his rookie deal.

1 minute ago, AFF said:

The thing is that I’m looking for more towards 2023…I want the pieces in place for the QB of the future on his rookie deal.

Which lends itself to be aggressive this year.  I'll put it this way: if we can have our OL set, get a #1 WR and #1 CB this year via FA and draft, and Mason is dog crap, you are confident sending out 2-3 1sts to move up for a stud QB in the 2023 draft.  If you don't and the OL is still a question, no true difference maker at WR, and the secondary sucks again; sending out that many 1sts for a QB makes no sense to do because you don't know what you will be surrounding him with.

Heck I'd additionally argue that Cincy got lucky more than built something good here with what they did.  Every other team recently that has performed with a rookie contract QB have gone about more what I'm laying out.  They got everything else in place so spending the draft capital was something that came across as palatable.

7 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I didn't read the KC comments as him saying we weren't going to spend. IIRC he said we might be aggressive with our money but we might not be. After seeing Colbert's demeanor for the past however long, he doesn't seem like a guy who would be Tom Cruise jumping on the couch shouting that we're spending like crazy this year. I think people read into a comment exactly what they want to hear(which, I know, is exactly what I'm doing). 

I personally read it as "we're going to keep doing what we do, don't expect us to do anything different."

7 minutes ago, AFF said:

That’s where I’m at.

Im not expecting them to go throw $100 mill contract at somebody…but there’s no reason they couldn’t do 2 B level signings…possibly 3.

A good thing to remember in Free Agency is that the guys who make it here are here for a reason...There is a difference between finding a bargain and dumpster diving. I'd rather save $6M+ and sign Austin Corbert vs 30+, oft injured Brandon Scherff at $13M and use the rest of my savings to net 2 starters to fill voids rather than just 1. 

There's a handful of dudes that are on FA right now that are worth that top dollar -- Carlton Davis & Armstrong probably being the best. But paying 125% of someones worth on the B market is never a good choice.