Way too early 2022 offseason thoughts

warfelg

23 minutes ago, 43M said:

Strong roster?   

Bottom 5 OL.

Bottom 5 to 10 secondary.

Weak ILBs and aging DLine.

Likely have to trade someone like Minkah and/or Claypool.

Add $40m per year and take away 5 or 6 premium picks over the next 3 or 4 drafts that will make it almost impossible to adequately address those holes.

Not worth it.

The only counterpoint I’ll make is Watson was a crazy Chiefs 2nd half comeback away from bringing the Texans to the AFC championship game with a roster you could argue was much worse than ours. 

Also, he’s 26 so you have plenty of time to build a roster good enough to win 1-2 Super Bowls while you have him. 

I agree that it’s pretty unlikely though. I think Watson wants to play for us but I doubt the feeling is mutual. Also as you mentioned the teams we’d be competing with can offer a lot more than we can. 

I know this will come off overly optimistic to most, but a lot of the “hole” talk should be ended with…..as of now

There is a very realistic path with as much cash and possible cash as we have available to turn bad into average — and if you look around the NFL, when you have a QB that’s all you really need. 

Can we turn a bottom 5 OL into a top 5? No, but that’s also not necessary. We could sign a mid-upper OG like Daniels, a solid RT like Massie, and sign two mid-level $8M corner who aren’t fall on their face bad and have a really solid squad….*IF* you have a Qb. 

We are pre-ability to sign players. Yea. We have holes. That doesn’t mean they all stay holes within 2 weeks. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I know this will come off overly optimistic to most, but a lot of the “hole” talk should be ended with…..as of now

There is a very realistic path with as much cash and possible cash as we have available to turn bad into average — and if you look around the NFL, when you have a QB that’s all you really need. 

Can we turn a bottom 5 OL into a top 5? No, but that’s also not necessary. We could sign a mid-upper OG like Daniels, a solid RT like Massie, and sign two mid-level $8M corner who aren’t fall on their face bad and have a really solid squad….*IF* you have a Qb. 

We are pre-ability to sign players. Yea. We have holes. That doesn’t mean they all stay holes within 2 weeks. 

Yeah, this team has more holes than we’ve had in awhile. But we have considerably more cap space than we have had in 20 years. We also dragged the corpse of the Ben/Canada hybrid to the playoffs with 2/3 of our d-line out for the season. The only major negative, in my view, is that we aren’t fully stocked with draft picks. But this draft is crazy stacked. I understand people just have different levels of optimism and pessimism, so I’m not trying to convince anyone that we’re going to win the SB next year, but I could see this team winning a playoff game just as likely as us having a losing record.  

16 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

My pessimism of “for now” means they’ll likely spend a little on a lot of guys to go into the draft with no “holes” rather than just spend big on one or two important holes (CB, OT) and fill out with draft/cheap VMSB players. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, warfelg said:

My pessimism of “for now” means they’ll likely spend a little on a lot of guys to go into the draft with no “holes” rather than just spend big on one or two important holes (CB, OT) and fill out with draft/cheap VMSB players. 

Lotta good data out there that shows you don’t win — especially at CB — in free agency at Tier 1 players. I’d make an exception for Carlton Davis because if you ask “why is he available” it’s simply because the Bucs had too many people and not enough franchise tags. JC Jackson’s availability should scare the crap out of a lot of people. 

But I don’t want them to go dumpster diving  in tier 3 like we usually do up against the cap. But there’s a lot of decent players on that tier 2 level. 

If they to all out on tier 3 though, then I would agree they are doing it wrong. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

This so much. Honestly, it gets old quick. Especially when they fail to actually address big holes in free agency or the draft and then trade away picks for guys that rarely work out. 

So, I take it Tuitt is back…

Edit: I really should add this is just speculation, but if he hasn’t been cut/retired by now….

There’s no way they can go into this year with any question like that after that happen on both lines last off-season. 

Edited by Dcash4

Well, Tom Brady is back. Yes that is one less team on the QB market but it will also make it harder to sign away guys like Jensen, Whitehead, and Carlton Davis. Have to imagine those guys think hard about running it back one more time with Tom.

Edited by bigben07MVP

3 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

So, I take it Tuitt is back…

Edit: I really should add this is just speculation, but if he hasn’t been cut/retired by now….

There’s no way they can go into this year with any question like that after that happen on both lines last off-season. 

I think a real possibility if Tuitt decides not to come back is we go get Fletcher Cox from the Eagles. We probably should have pulled the trigger at the deadline last year but I understand not wanting to give up a 3rd just in case Tuitt decided to return. 

6 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Well, Tom Brady is back. Yes that is one less team on the QB market but it will also make it harder to sign away guys like Jensen, Whitehead, and Carlton Davis. Have to imagine those guys think hard about running it back one more time with Tom.

Bucs could still very possibly go for a QB in the draft.

I didn't really want Jensen at the price it would have cost given that he is over 30 and slightly overrated IMO.

Davis too will get an insane contract that we likely couldn't or wouldn't match.

Whitehead is still an option, but I think we keep Edmunds...for better or worse.

4 hours ago, 43M said:

Bucs could still very possibly go for a QB in the draft.

I didn't really want Jensen at the price it would have cost given that he is over 30 and slightly overrated IMO.

Davis too will get an insane contract that we likely couldn't or wouldn't match.

Whitehead is still an option, but I think we keep Edmunds...for better or worse.

Ryan Jenson is back with the Bucs as well.