Way too early 2022 offseason thoughts

warfelg

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

My take is if you are going to roll out Bush again don’t put unproven next to him. Put either an elite prospect or a known asset. I know I called for Buddy in season but at this point there’s options other than him. 

My take is if you’re going to roll out Bush next year you better beef up the D-Line unless you know Tuitt and Alualu are both coming back. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Buddy Johnson is like 230lbs and couldn’t get on the field last year because he didn’t understand the playbook (allegedly). I agree with your logic but starting him next to Bush could end up really being a disaster. 

10 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I would too but I was hearing in practices even with coaches putting him where he should be lined up he still struggled lining up and keeping assignments. 

How about Foresade Oluokun? 10 forced TOs and 193 tackles. I don’t hate the idea of Jordan Hicks either. 

My take is if you are going to roll out Bush again don’t put unproven next to him. Put either an elite prospect or a known asset. I know I called for Buddy in season but at this point there’s options other than him. 

Just for the record....in no way am I saying I WANT Buddy Johnson to start.  Not even a little.

But if it came down to starting him or paying Schobert more than $3m...I would.   it would suck either way....but Id rather go with the younger and cheaper player over a guy I KNOW sucks and is making good starter money.

• Like 2

This is older news, but did anyone see KC comments on Dotson and Banner? He said they need more out of those two this year. I wonder if Banner is their choice at RT over Chuks? I'm sure Chuks will command a decent paycheck being only 25. Maybe we extend Banner a year, lower his cap hit, and roll with him again. I still like the kid. I know he's shown literally zero on the field to make people expect him to play, but I'm a hopeful optimist. 

I feel like Colbert said that about a week ago or so. 

8 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

This is older news, but did anyone see KC comments on Dotson and Banner? He said they need more out of those two this year. I wonder if Banner is their choice at RT over Chuks? I'm sure Chuks will command a decent paycheck being only 25. Maybe we extend Banner a year, lower his cap hit, and roll with him again. I still like the kid. I know he's shown literally zero on the field to make people expect him to play, but I'm a hopeful optimist. 

This is something that gets to me about this team at times. Like that’s the KC story of saying this means neither will be cut and they will be the starters without competition. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I saw that. I took the Banner comment more as a throw away comment because he is technically on the team right now. Kinda like why they keep talking about trusting Mason....he is the only QB on roster. 

Dotson though, was worrisome. It's pretty obviously true, but it also shines more light onto what might have been going on in the off-season when there were rumors they were not happy with him. I was hard on him because he looked like trash early in the season, but he rounded in form (got in shape? Healthy?). Then injuries hit again. 

Long story short:
Banner just seems to be a comment because he is technically still on the team. Maybe public facing negotiation for a lower salary

Dotson: seems motivational after what happened last year

• Like 2

Not sure I believe the the rumor around the Bills Edmunds trade.  However, I think he would fit well as a buck LB in our system.  He would be a nice blitzing ILB too.  Can’t say I watched the Bill a lot last year, but liked his speed and the way he attacked the LOS out of college.  The cap hit is too high though.   I think a good buck, a beefed up DL, and another year to recover could be a big help to Bush.

1 hour ago, Blitzburgh said:

Not sure I believe the the rumor around the Bills Edmunds trade.

I probably should have added this to my original point when I shared it, but I, personally, don't believe it. I was more just pointing out the ridiculous time of year this is on rumors. 

Just like that stuff from a few years back when there was a dude saying how we were "dotting the I's" on the contract with Justin Houston before he signed with Indy. Tons of nonsense out there. 

Couple interesting names added to FA and plenty more to come I’m sure. Tavon Young, Roger Saffold, Landon Collins…all at position groups we will look at. 

Deep position groups usually meant quality values. Saftey is deeeeeeeep. G and CB not bad either. 

• Like 1

I think there’s a good chance to get Edmunds back on a very solid rate. Safety market has a lot of plug and play NFL options and he isn’t at the top of that list. 

It would really take someone that has always liked him and still projects a jump to take a big enough swing the Steelers couldn’t match (and reasonably want to) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Snack said:

rumors are fun this time of year

Steeler fans see this and get excited for someone like Donte Jackson or Carlton Davis.

Then Steelers sign someone like Eli Apple and all that excitement dies.  xD

• Like 1