2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

58 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Jason Peters was okay. Ogeltree was bad.

I agree if we just want to fill roster spots that is easy.

But filling them with capable players is harder and more time sensitive.

This is such a revisionist view point...Peters played better than anyone expected & Ogletree was solid...not everyone on a team will be a superstar.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Finding 2 day 1 starters is a lot to pull out of 3 good picks. Most rookies even if they become goo starters are not there week 1 of the season.

I am not sure why we would want to back ourselves into that type of corner.

No...no it isn't...

Plenty of teams have started more than 2 rookies on day one of an NFL season...no idea where this "Tom Coughlin" approach is coming from.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

This is such a revisionist view point...Peters played better than anyone expected & Ogletree was solid...not everyone on a team will be a superstar.

Ogeltree was not. 

Peters played better than expected for a 40 year old dude who had retired. He was solid compared to the other bums. But he wasn’t good. We didn’t have any OLmen playing at a high level last year. Peters came in and gave us average LT play at best,

5 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

No...no it isn't...

Plenty of teams have started more than 2 rookies on day one of an NFL season...no idea where this "Tom Coughlin" approach is coming from.

Which teams?

I would love the list of teams who were able to land rookie starters, who were league average starters, on the OL and WR in the same draft?

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Ogeltree was not. 

Peters played better than expected for a 40 year old dude who had retired. He was solid compared to the other bums. But he wasn’t good. We didn’t have any OLmen playing at a high level last year. Peters came in and gave us average LT play at best,

Again not everyone is going to be a superstar...your idea of what every player should be is way over the top.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Again not everyone is going to be a superstar...your idea of what every player should be is way over the top.

Our late signings last season provided us with 1 league average starter. Maybe we can convince some more 40 year old retired HOFers to come back, but that isn’t best practice.

Hardly a fountain of talent.

Relying on it as an actual phase of team building is crazy risky.

Edited by WindyCity

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Which teams?

I would love the list of teams who were able to land rookie starters, who were league average starters, on the OL and WR in the same draft?

I am glad you asked...KC...

Started Creed Humphrey, Trey Smith & Nick Bolton...I suspect our GM might know something about those guys...

Rookies are better prepared to play early in todays NFL than they ever have been.

Just now, WindyCity said:

Our late signings last season provided us with 1 league average starter. Maybe we can convince some more 40 year old retired HOFers to come back, but that isn’t best practice.

Hardly a fountain of talent.

And again a league average starter is what most players are...it's why they are average...you need those guys on every team...Poles will understand that and add those guys while trying to hit on superstars in the draft...he has always been open about that.

6 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I am glad you asked...KC...

Started Creed Humphrey, Trey Smith & Nick Bolton...I suspect our GM might know something about those guys...

Rookies are better prepared to play early in todays NFL than they ever have been.

Last season outside of round 1

1/36 rookie WRs cleared 550 yards

5-6/48 rookie OLmen played as average NFL starters or above.

Edited by WindyCity

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

And again a league average starter is what most players are...it's why they are average...you need those guys on every team...Poles will understand that and add those guys while trying to hit on superstars in the draft...he has always been open about that.

When are they being added? Because the OL list is pretty bleak.

Until they are added I am going to be concerned.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Last season

1/36 rookie WRs cleared 550 yards

5-6/48 rookie OLmen played as average NFL starters or above.

Sorry but this is utter nonsense...

Ja'marr Chase - 1455 yards

Jaylen Waddle - 1015 yards

DeVonta Smith - 916 yards

Amon-Ra St. Brown - 912 yards

And a ton of other guys around the 400-600 yard mark.

And your opinion that only 5-6 rookies played to league average is again simply wrong based on starts along.

27 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

That’s true, but I would contend they’re even harder to find in FA, because most never get to FA until they’re long past their prime. 

That's true. That list you usually have to trade for.  

But Cooper is 27 yrs old and his deal has become relatively cheap for his stature. 

And you can take minor shots on high upside physical talents like DJ Chark.

Pringle is fine looking player, but it is scary that KC dumped him and signed JuJu and MVS.   Not like he was expensive to re-sign. 

They spent every day with him.

A WR in draft is really hit and miss.  Better in very recent years, but still.  Kind of a volume position.   Take a lot of shots to get it right.