2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Eberflus said today Jackson has a fresh start with him and that he likes him a lot

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

It would be wonderful if Eberflus could turn him around. And wow, what a boon to the team it would be, as the guy isn't that old. I mean--I'll believe it when I see it, but it's always good to get an extra dash of hope. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Presumably Jackson gets put in the role Mike Brown played in the Lovie defense. If he’s 75% of the player Brown was in it, with Jackson’s own track record for health, that’d be a huge development.

And if not then he’s probably not a Bear in 12 months. 

Not that I think it'll happen but... sleeper nickelback?

inception-nickelback.gif

Edited by G08
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

That’s just not true.

There are more than a dozen guys who could easily be day one starters for us out there. You just don’t like any more than 3-4. 

I gave the top of my list, not the whole available list

There isn’t a dozen unless you simply are plugging a warm body in that spot.

Love to see this list.

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

There isn’t a dozen unless you simply are plugging a warm body in that spot.

Love to see this list.

We have constantly given you lists, and then you say they aren’t good enough. Then you change your mind and move the goal posts and do the same on a new list of names given.  Rinse/repeat

Its the 5th member of the Line, likely your 6th/7th lineman in reality after the draft, they aren’t going to be some stud. Just a component vet, hopefully with some upside. And if no upside, they are just a patch for the year. 

9 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

We have constantly given you lists, and then you say they aren’t good enough. Then you change your mind and move the goal posts and do the same on a new list of names given.  Rinse/repeat

Its the 5th member of the Line, likely your 6th/7th lineman in reality after the draft, they aren’t going to be some stud. Just a component vet, hopefully with some upside. And if no upside, they are just a patch for the year. 

Of the remaining players on the IOL, other than the 4 you mentioned, who do you think has the capability of being our starting RG?

Flowers, Williams, Turner and ….

I agree that those guys can be your starting RG while a rookie is getting ready.

12 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

league average level (something I’m not sure some of you have a firm grasp on what that looks like)

Preach it. The 30th best guard in the NFL is an middle of the road NFL starting caliber. There are 64 starters. Hell, the 45th best guard has nearly TWENTY guys starting out there that are worse than him. And the 50th best WR is a middle tier NFL #2. The math isn’t complicated, but some would have you think that the 30th best guard is just a traffic cone, and that the 50th best WR is a frisbee dog. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Flowers, Williams, Turner and ….

I agree that those guys can be your starting RG while a rookie is getting ready.

Wow, your assessment of this situation is even further off than I had imagined.

If you are signing Flowers, Williams, Tretter, or Turner, they are your starter, period. We’ve got the Starting 5 for week one right there. If you end up with a rookie who is bananas good, and forces someone out of a starting spot, then that’s amazing. But we would be set, not in a holding pattern waiting on a rookie. 

6 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Wow, your assessment of this situation is even further off than I had imagined.

If you are signing Flowers, Williams, Tretter, or Turner, they are your starter, period. We’ve got the Starting 5 for week one right there. If you end up with a rookie who is bananas good, and forces someone out of a starting spot, then that’s amazing. But we would be set, not in a holding pattern waiting on a rookie. 

None of those guys is good enough or a long term option that they should change your draft plans.

The same can be said for Cody Whitehair really. 

If you sign Trai Turner that is a solid vet, with no upside, that holds a spot for as long as it takes for a rookie. That may be the entire season, but he is hardly at the level of an unquestioned starter.

You don’t sign Trai Turner and all of a sudden think the OL is done. He is a guy who sets the floor. You still have to draft some ceiling.

Edited by WindyCity

5 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Preach it. The 30th best guard in the NFL is an middle of the road NFL starting caliber. There are 64 starters. Hell, the 45th best guard has nearly TWENTY guys starting out there that are worse than him. And the 50th best WR is a middle tier NFL #2. The math isn’t complicated, but some would have you think that the 30th best guard is just a traffic cone, and that the 50th best WR is a frisbee dog. 

If we could sign someone who would play at the level of the 30th best OG in 2022 that would be awesome. That would set a very nice floor for the interior OL.

But it also wouldn’t be someone you just sign and think you are set. The goal has to be to have someone on the line that will be better than average on a good day.

Just now, WindyCity said:

If we could sign someone who would play at the level of the 30th best OG in 2022 that would be awesome. That would set a very nice floor for the interior OL.

But it also wouldn’t be someone you just sign and think you are set. The goal has to be to have someone on the line that will be better than average on a good day.

Every team would like an upper tier player at every position. But over here in reality that’s just not something that happens. 

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

Every team would like an upper tier player at every position. But over here in reality that’s just not something that happens. 

But why wouldn’t we try?

Our OL has been mediocre for years because the organization has settled on mediocre players.

Sign a veteran who can play the spot without killing the offense. Draft someone who can be better than that. When the handoff happens is up to how quickly the rookie develops.

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

None of those guys is good enough or a long term option that they should change your draft plans.

The same can be said for Cody Whitehair really. 

If you sign Trai Turner that is a solid vet, with no upside, that holds a spot for as long as it takes for a rookie. That may be the entire season, but he is hardly at the level of an unquestioned starter.

This is EXACTLY what we are talking about. For some reason you think we are looking to bring in some savior as a Free Agent. That’s not going to happen, never was, and good teams don’t do it that way. 

What do they do? They DRAFT

We are talking about 2022, and just having a competent OL. You apparently are thinking we’re some how going to bring in a 25 year old Alan Faneca to be an All-Pro stalwart for the next 8-10 years. Your being beyond unrealistic here 

The Bills did this last season. They paid Daryl Williams, drafted Spencer Brown, and half way through the season Williams had been kicked inside, Brown had taken over at RT and provided an upgrade, and Williams was released in the offseason.

The Bears should emulate that at RG and LG.