2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Sure. He isn’t going to ignore other spots.

But his criticism of the OL and the lack of moves do not line up for me. If the line sucks, like he said, then address it more aggressively.

He has been selective in FA with guys who fit what he wants, and will look to build through the draft. Just like he said he would. Whether it works out or not is TBD, but that it doesn’t line up with what you expect at the position is a you issue. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Sure. He isn’t going to ignore other spots.

But his criticism of the OL and the lack of moves do not line up for me. If the line sucks, like he said, then address it more aggressively.

I just think what you are seeing is a guy who honestly believes in homegrown talent instead of spending in free agency. I think he wants to focus on getting younger in the draft. I know you will point to the 3T non-signing early in FA but he probably felt like there was a lot more depth at OL and WR then there was at 3T in the draft (which there is).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bigbear72 said:

I just think what you are seeing is a guy who honestly believes in homegrown talent instead of spending in free agency. I think he wants to focus on getting younger in the draft. I know you will point to the 3T non-signing early in FA but he probably felt like there was a lot more depth at OL and WR then there was at 3T in the draft (which there is).

Trying to explain the full picture without yet being able to see it is often a fool’s errand. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I just don’t get why we are waiting. We know we need a RG desperately. The world knows we need a RG desperately. Common sense knows we need a RG desperately

According to the “grades” you just listed in here, Guard is the least of our worries along the Offensive line… Which is quite impressive since as you point out, we currently only have one Guard

12 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

We disagree on what the available talent is. And what reasonable expectations are. And the caliber of what’s already here. And how what we have will be used. And what should be expected of a rookie picked in the top 50. You probably don’t have green as your favorite color either. 

No, but I do find it soothing. Forest green is beautiful. Lighter greens don’t do it for me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

He criticized the Offensive Line play, he never criticized the TALENT

Yeah, I tried to use logic when people somehow thought we were somehow in the 17th wave for free agents after the 1st day of free agency. No room for that type of argument here.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

He has been selective in FA with guys who fit what he wants, and will look to build through the draft. Just like he said he would. Whether it works out or not is TBD, but that it doesn’t line up with what you expect at the position is a you issue. 

That is a lot of risk. If he wants to do most of it in the draft that is fine… as long as we aren’t making excuses mid season for the OL.

Poles is choosing to accept that risk.

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I guess I don’t know what you are really asking? We’re going to be bad, it’s a bad roster overall with some sprinkles of solid talent and one or two potential studs (Fields/Mooney)

But no signing we were making this off-season was going to change that. The roster is too shallow, and even 1-2-3 high priced free agents weren’t going to correct that for what you hope is Fields long career.

Even if we could have made the move for let’s say Cooper, we’re you still comfortable paying him $23m each of the next 2 years? Even if you are, are you planning on resigning him at 31? And that all before we get to his side of this equation of if he even would want to be here while we rebuild.

It just feels like some of you don’t want to admit how much of a rebuild that this truly is, and accept that it’s going to take a minute 

I am down with losing this season, but not down with a full team tear down as we develop our QB particularly on offensive side of ball.   Which at moment is what appears to be happening.

I just feel like a full year of potentially Fields struggling will be bad for his development and confidence and may cause fans and coaches to unfairly and prematurely sour on him.    People will be very forgiving of a bad rookie year.   Bad sophomore campaigns can possibly cause doubts.   

As for Cooper he is only 4.8 against cap this year and 23.7 next 2 and those 23.7 cap numbers can be lowered easy enough.

His contract at moment for a lower end number 1 WR is very reasonable and cap friendly.

Having him for next 3 years on Fields rookie deal would be of great benefit IMO and he was best deal available for a WR upgrade given Bears resources.  

There is no reason Bears couldn't have done that.   But it is spilt milk and no point in discussing that further.

19 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

That is a lot of risk. If he wants to do most of it in the draft that is fine… as long as we aren’t making excuses mid season for the OL.

Poles is choosing to accept that risk.

Signing experienced depth as an intended backup now vs. in May or June doesn’t really change anything if the plan is that they’re depth signings. His approach certainly suggests that he sees our projected starters as the guys who are already here (likely Patrick, Whitehair, Borom & Jenkins), plus an early draft pick. If that’s your planned 5 then that’s your 5. It seems he viewed Bates as a measured cost alternative to a high draft pick that didn’t work out, with him now pivoting back to the draft to fill that opening. After the starting 5 though, backups are backups, at least one of which (probably at guard) I’d expect to be a later round draft pick. 

Edited by AZBearsFan