2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

7 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

What we were going to give Ogunjobi is the going rate for interior pass rush...wouldn't have been an overpayment...just value.

I am not sure who's contract you are comparing it to?

We were going to pay a situational pass rusher 13.5 million a year with 30 million guaranteed. That is a lot of money.

Boom or Bust Pass Rusher

Not a good run defender

Foot Surgery

26.5 million guaranteed was always a weird over pay likely to appease his HC who had to have a 3 technique for his system to work... which is what the last guy got in trouble for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Boom or Bust Pass Rusher

Not a good run defender

Foot Surgery

26.5 million guaranteed was always a weird over pay likely to appease his HC who had to have a 3 technique for his system to work... which is what the last guy got in trouble for.

Roquan Smith got a 46.3 overall grade from the same guys. There are arguments for why the Ogunjobi deal was an overpay, but this probably isn’t the best one.

Ogunjobi was arguably the top guy available in FA at his position and those guys typically get a little more than their true value, so while I agree there was some (not egregious) overpay there it’s kind of the nature of the beast. We (meaning many in here and in Bears fandom) were willing to overpay significantly for a WR or OL relative to player value and that would have been viewed by most as okay though, so is this really about that a perceived overpay almost happened, or is this about where the perceived overpay almost happened? It seems like the latter. 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I am not sure who's contract you are comparing it to?

We were going to pay a situational pass rusher 13.5 million a year with 30 million guaranteed. That is a lot of money.

Just stop with that nonsense man...it was clear he was a starter.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Just stop with that nonsense man...it was clear he was a starter.

I think he was saying he was a situational pass rusher in CIN, though that wouldn’t have been right either. He played 68% of CIN’s defensive snaps last year as a 16-game starter. BJ Hill was actually their situational DT. He played 47% of the snaps in the same amount of games, with just 2 starts. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 6:58 PM, WindyCity said:

They also have one of the best OL coaches in the world and one of the best QBs in the world. They aren’t trying to develop a 2nd year QB.

You can get OLmen anywhere in the draft… but are they ready week 1 of their rookie years? 

Aside from all of this being totally irrelevant I gotta ask you.  At what point will you ever decide to either admit you don't know the facts or at least take the time to do a little research of your own.  Can't take more than 10-15 minutes tops.

What I boldfaced is pure unadulterated crap.  The rest is wholly irrelevant if only because protecting "Erin's" 38 year old *** is the ONLY way GB will ever even sniff a SB again so where do YOU think their priorities lie?

As Heinz demonstrated, rookie OL do start and many are able to do reasonably well as rookies or teams would be replacing them each year.  GB has avoided that and built their OL via the draft just as Poles told us all he planned to do.

Your opinion about coaching isn't based on the facts here or even close to being fact. So tell us all why you so often choose to make stuff up in order to somehow rationalize your views.  I mean this one is based on 100% pure hogwash.

Chris Morgan has 14 years previous experience as an OL coach including having coached for two different Super Bowl teams.  He's considered one of the top guys at coaching the outside/wide zone blocking scheme we'll be playing.

GB's previous OL coach (Adam Stenavich) began his NFL coaching career as an Asst OL Coach for SF in 2017-18.  He joined GB as their OL Coach in 2019 and was recently promoted to OC after Hackett left for Denver and we hired Getsy,

Luke Butkus was Stenavich's Asst OL coach from 2019-2021 and was just promoted to OL Coach this past February.  So at most he has 3 years previous NFL experience as an OL Coach and Stenavich has 5 years total NFL experience.

If you want to insist on defining any of these three as being "world class" then it would surely be our guy, Chris Morgan.  Note that he has roughly twice the amount of NFL experience plus two Super Bowl rings on his resume.

I don't deny a need for top coaches but the players who play each week have to fit the scheme and the scheme itself must suit the players if it's gonna work. We all had a very clear example of how this doesn't work well under Matt Nagy.

And now.....I'm outta here again but I just could let yet another "Big Lie" from you go unchallenged.   Adios to you and your BS......🤠

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Bears fans used to call for Tomczak to start over McMahon all the time outside of '85 anytime he had a bad day.

Tomczak was a better quarterback than McMahon. 

That might have had something to do with that...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

This is an utter steal.

Who would’ve thought you could add starting caliber stop gap players in April (and probably beyond)? And at a value rate?!

I agree this deal is a steal. Young is a 28-year old, established, professional caliber nickel and fills a gaping need. Nice work by Poles here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Aside from all of this being totally irrelevant I gotta ask you.  At what point will you ever decide to either admit you don't know the facts or at least take the time to do a little research of your own.  Can't take more than 10-15 minutes tops.

What I boldfaced is pure unadulterated crap.  The rest is wholly irrelevant if only because protecting "Erin's" 38 year old *** is the ONLY way GB will ever even sniff a SB again so where do YOU think their priorities lie?

As Heinz demonstrated, rookie OL do start and many are able to do reasonably well as rookies or teams would be replacing them each year.  GB has avoided that and built their OL via the draft just as Poles told us all he planned to do.

Your opinion about coaching isn't based on the facts here or even close to being fact. So tell us all why you so often choose to make stuff up in order to somehow rationalize your views.  I mean this one is based on 100% pure hogwash.

Chris Morgan has 14 years previous experience as an OL coach including having coached for two different Super Bowl teams.  He's considered one of the top guys at coaching the outside/wide zone blocking scheme we'll be playing.

GB's previous OL coach (Adam Stenavich) began his NFL coaching career as an Asst OL Coach for SF in 2017-18.  He joined GB as their OL Coach in 2019 and was recently promoted to OC after Hackett left for Denver and we hired Getsy,

Luke Butkus was Stenavich's Asst OL coach from 2019-2021 and was just promoted to OL Coach this past February.  So at most he has 3 years previous NFL experience as an OL Coach and Stenavich has 5 years total NFL experience.

If you want to insist on defining any of these three as being "world class" then it would surely be our guy, Chris Morgan.  Note that he has roughly twice the amount of NFL experience plus two Super Bowl rings on his resume.

I don't deny a need for top coaches but the players who play each week have to fit the scheme and the scheme itself must suit the players if it's gonna work. We all had a very clear example of how this doesn't work well under Matt Nagy.

And now.....I'm outta here again but I just could let yet another "Big Lie" from you go unchallenged.   Adios to you and your BS......🤠

If only experience and talent were directly tied together. Juan Castillo has coached for 30 years does that make him better than Morgan because he was just fired?

Stenavich has been wildly successful in GB and multiple teams have tried to poach him. The Packers needed to promote him to keep him. 

Morgan might be really good, but last year he had to take an assistant OL coach job. That tells me that his door wasn’t being kicked down.

Morgan is more experienced. Stenavich is more talented and more in demand. The league and the market has told us that.

Would it make you feel better if I said they have one of the most regarded and sought after OL coaches?

Edited by WindyCity

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think he was saying he was a situational pass rusher in CIN, though that wouldn’t have been right either. He played 68% of CIN’s defensive snaps last year as a 16-game starter. BJ Hill was actually their situational DT. He played 47% of the snaps in the same amount of games, with just 2 starts. 

I am saying based on his play against the run he likely should not be a full time starter.

He is a very one dimensional player. 

13.5 million is a lot to pay for a DLmen who doesn’t do everything for you.

Edited by WindyCity

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Roquan Smith got a 46.3 overall grade from the same guys. There are arguments for why the Ogunjobi deal was an overpay, but this probably isn’t the best one.

Ogunjobi was arguably the top guy available in FA at his position and those guys typically get a little more than their true value, so while I agree there was some (not egregious) overpay there it’s kind of the nature of the beast. We (meaning many in here and in Bears fandom) were willing to overpay significantly for a WR or OL relative to player value and that would have been viewed by most as okay though, so is this really about that a perceived overpay almost happened, or is this about where the perceived overpay almost happened? It seems like the latter. 

It’s just that we were going to over pay Larry Ogunjobi.

It isn’t accurate to say that Griffin was the first over pay, useless they failed physical takes the intent off the board.

I am fine with over paying a little for guys, we have cap space, but let’s not act like we aren’t doing it… especially in the first 10 minutes of free agency.

24 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

13.5 million is a lot to pay for a DLmen who doesn’t do everything for you.

“Doesn’t do anything for you” is… certainly a take.

*Edit*

Misread “everything” as “anything”. 🤦‍♂️

How much were you willing to pay Christian Kirk to run his limited route tree for us? I bet if we could have gotten him for $13.5M annually you’d have been all kinds of on board for it. 

Edited by AZBearsFan