2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

How is the thought process with Ogunjobi any different than with Jimmy Graham.

-We desperately need a guy at this position to run the scheme.

-There are only a handful of these guys in free agency.

-We will pay whatever it takes to land that guy on day 1.

Before you say it, they are different players, but the flawed thought process is the same. 

It is completely incomparable…

Ogunjobi is a young ascending player who was coming in to play a key position in this defence…Graham was already in decline when we brought him in and we never even attempted to make him a key part of Nagy’s offence…terrible comparison.

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Ryan Poles himself has said the offseason has not gone according to plan, but it seems like criticism of the offseason so far is off limits.

@Madmike90do you have a single criticism of the offseason so far?

Of course I do…

I think we should be picking up a veteran OG and outside CB to give us some flexibility in the draft and competition after it…I would like to have seen us bring in a veteran slot receiver who could act as a safety blanket for Fields when he gets in trouble…

The difference is I know there is still plenty of time to do those things and won’t just grab anyone going…I’m also not going to **** all over something because it is not exactly what I would have done…nor am I going to say something is good then because healthy comes into play completely downplay it and say it was always bad…and I am sure not going to not trust my eyes because of PFF.

15 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Tomczak was a better quarterback than McMahon. 

That might have had something to do with that...

He was certainly more coachable.  Ditka wished every day Tom could play well enough to dump McMahon.  

Talent wise they weren’t even close.  McMahon might have been a hall of fame QB if he wasn’t a crazy person.  

13 hours ago, CBears019 said:

There was this old fantasy football commercial where this guy added some middle round guy in the draft and mutters to himself, ‘championship’.  Always made me giggle. 

I wish I had a GIF of that to add under some of these signings.  Not all of them, just the ones the fans get super hyped about and start over blowing them.  Like Patrick or Pringle maybe.  LOL.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

There was this old fantasy football commercial where this guy added some middle round guy in the draft and mutters to himself, ‘championship’.  Always made me giggle. 

I wish I had a GIF of that to add under some of these signings.  Not all of them, just the ones the fans get super hyped about and start over blowing them.  Like Patrick or Pringle maybe.  LOL.  

He drafted TJ Houshmandzadeh! 

• Like 2

He was certainly more coachable.  Ditka wished every day Tom could play well enough to dump McMahon.  

Ditka was clueless when it came to quarterbacks. The whole Flutie playoff debacle is Exhibit A.

Talent wise they weren’t even close.  McMahon might have been a hall of fame QB if he wasn’t a crazy person.  

I'm not so sure of that. Tomczak threw too many interceptions, and wasn't as physically gifted (in a pure sense), but he did a lot of things much better than McMahon did. 

But I clearly have a lower opinion of McMahon than you do. So, whatever. 🙂

40 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Ditka was clueless when it came to quarterbacks. The whole Flutie playoff debacle is Exhibit A.

I'm not so sure of that. Tomczak threw too many interceptions, and wasn't as physically gifted (in a pure sense), but he did a lot of things much better than McMahon did. 

But I clearly have a lower opinion of McMahon than you do. So, whatever. 🙂

Well you probably also didn’t sing the McMahon role of super bowl shuffle at school assembly in 5th or 6th grade and have a McMahon jersey.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Well you probably also didn’t sing the McMahon role of super bowl shuffle at school assembly in 5th or 6th grade and have a McMahon jersey.  

😄

True enough. 

My girlfriend and I did have that damn videotape, though. And she PLAYED IT ALL THE ******* TIME!!! Talk about burnout...

My read on the free agency period

-The Bears wanted to spend money. They had Larry O signed, Poles talked about how the Larry O situation caused them to miss on other tier 1 targets. Rumoured finalist for Armstead. They were clearly in on some big money guys.

-The Larry O thing goes sideways and throws their free agent plans off. Poles talked about how it disrupted the timing and negotiations on other deals.

-I think at that point they needed to regroup and they got conservative, which is better than making a stupid signing to compensate, but they likely got a little to conservative.

-Now we will see if they can finish patching holes before the draft. But it think based on Poles own comments free agency hasn’t given them as much as he was hoping for when it started.

The more I think about it, it isn’t shocking. 1st time GM, totally new regime, 1st free agency, and the Larry O thing is a 1/1000 curveball to lead it off.

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

-I think at that point they needed to regroup and they got conservative, which is better than making a stupid signing to compensate, but they likely got a little to conservative.

They're probably holding a fair amount of cash to spread around after final cuts. That's my guess, anyway.

I'm thinking they'll still sign another WR, or OL, before then...but still, don't be surprised if we don't know the final makeup of this team until shortly before Opening Day.

And, hey! That's fine. The rebuild continues...

6 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

They're probably holding a fair amount of cash to spread around after final cuts. That's my guess, anyway.

I'm thinking they'll still sign another WR, or OL, before then...but still, don't be surprised if we don't know the final makeup of this team until shortly before Opening Day.

And, hey! That's fine. The rebuild continues...

Week 1 is pretty late to be inserting guys you are hoping to contribute.

I am hoping we are shopping post draft.

24 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Week 1 is pretty late to be inserting guys you are hoping to contribute.

I am hoping we are shopping post draft.

They'll do both. 

As to what happens...you have to be at least somewhat sympathetic to the position Poles is in.

If meaningful guys have to be added after final cuts...so be it.