2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

6 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm not at all sure that he's claiming Burrow is a one-year wonder.

If he is, he's wrong. 

As far as your "don't think he's close" claim (Fields to Burrow)--I think you're wrong, there. But that's just a hunch, there's no proof to back that claim up. 

We'll all just have to wait and see how it unfolds...

You wouldn’t take Joe Burrow straight up for Justin Fields right now? Because you are crazy if that’s what you are saying. Joe is one of the best draft prospects in nearly a decade, definitely QB prospect (Luck)

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Please name one example where this has worked?

Well....um....there was 2017.  Mitch Trubisky?  He was elite wasn't he?  I mean we spent even more picks to move up for him right?    NO?

Well then surely Adam Shaheen was elite then.  Sometime you find true gold in the second round.  He was surely an elite pick right?  NO again huh?

LOLOL.....good point Mike!  👏

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I've said it before, might as well say it again--if I'm Poles I'm not listening to any offers for Quinn unless it's a first rounder, or equivalent value. 

Quinn may have several good years left. Right now, the Bears don't really have a problem paying for his contract.

No reason to push sending him elsewhere...unless he wants to leave.

He had a really bad foot injury last year. He's always been more consistent as a 4-3 DE than a 3-4 OLB. It takes a special guy to do well at both. I'd bet both my testicles than Dent wouldn't have been a a good 3-4 DE. 

What am I getting at? Quinn isn't really a "volatile" player. He's just not a first ballot Hall of Famer, and he's better in some situations than others. There's no reason for the Bears to trade him...unless they get a lot back .

He is a very volatile player in both health and production.

I’m going to say this, it’s obvious that more and more of you are revealing how in denial you are about the state of this roster. We have next to no elite talent on this roster, and trading away Robert Quinn doesn’t change that. 

We aren’t starting a tank, this team was already tanked. Pace made sure of that before Poles stepped foot into his first interview. They went all out, mortgaging future assets on a team that shouldn’t have even been in the playoffs, and only got worse! 

Half our wins were over the worst teams in the league (the majority of them coming against the bottom 3rd) and the other two were at the start of the year that I still can’t really explain how we got them. The tank is on, and what’s worst about it, we weren’t even trying to. 

Poles & Co aren’t trying to build a dynasty right now, they are trying to salvage what is on this roster, and piece together a component team for 2022, while infusing as much young cheap talent as they can get their hands on. I’m not trying to flip this in one year, I’m taking a longer view, so one bottom out season doesn’t bother me. Especially as quickly you can add talent to your roster these days.

This very franchise went from 3 wins and a Top 3 pick to 12 wins and a playoff berth in just 2 seasons. And that was on the back of Mitch.

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

So basically the same situation as we find ourselves in then?...think it through...

And I have always been consistent in my through process...tanking leads to multiple losing seasons...it's a fact...you don't just suck for a year then become good...you also don't win by destroying one side of the ball to fix the other...this is going to require some patience...we aren't going to go crazy in the draft...we are going to build through the draft and there is clearly no appetite in that building to tank and rightfully so.

I really don’t think losing Robert Quinn leads to a tank.

Is Robert Quinn the real difference between 7 wins and 3 wins? Outside of QB there aren’t players that have that wild a swing on a teams fortunes. Robert Quinn surely isn’t one of them.

Take one step back… to potentially take 2 steps forward (cap space, draft picks).

If the goal was to try and stay competitive they may have wanted to do a little on more on offense in free agency.

• Like 1

There is only one guy on this team that will send us from 7 wins to 2-3 wins this season… Justin Skylar Fields. If he gets hurt that is the only way we “tank”.

If you are concerned about the tank… I have plenty of seats on the we need OL bandwagon ready to go.

23 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

You wouldn’t take Joe Burrow straight up for Justin Fields right now? 

I would, and I didn't say what you claim I was saying.

I was merely hinting at notions of the future. Burrows is great. 

5 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

This very franchise went from 3 wins and a Top 3 pick to 12 wins and a playoff berth in just 2 seasons. And that was on the back of Mitch.

Let's be real. It was on the "back" of the defense. 

I am just not sure what they have done that gives us any indication that they are concerned about their record in 2022?

Everything they have done has been forward facing… not present.

It would be jut weird to me to turn down future facing assets because your concerned about winning this season. If you were concerned about winning this season then that is a change in approach.

Poles will have to make a decision on Quinn only if he absolutely needs his $12.9 mil of cap space for someone else this year.  Or several someone else's.  But it won't happen 'til after June 1st unless he gets one hell of an offer for him prior to the draft because we only save $4.4 mil of cap prior to June 1st.

So.....if we trade Quinn for a lousy lower 3rd round pick we not only lose our best and most experienced edge rusher whose still playing like he's in his prime but we only save a little over $4 mil in cap.  Personally I don't think we need either that pick or the cap savings that much and I hope Ryan Poles agrees.

As for the future.  Should Quinn prove to be one of those guys who can still play very effectively in his 30s we have him under contract through 2024 for an average annual salary of $13.5 per year.  That's pretty decent if he can keep providing us with double digit sacks and hits.  If not we release him.

For my part I'd rather keep Quinn around vs getting nothing more than a bottom of the barrel second day pick for a guy who put up the kind of stats he did last years playing in that defense and without Mack and Hicks much of the year.  Based on 2021 alone he should be worth a 1st round pick and more.

• Like 1

I love that you guys keep acting like this is who Quinn always is. While in reality he’s only ever done this one other time, and that was almost a Decade ago. It’s more likely that he comes crashing back down to earth (or gets hurt) than he repeats anything close to ‘21. And then what is he worth?

And acting like a Top 100 pick is nothing might be even more baffling than blindly believing that an aging expensive Vet is going to approach his career year again

Edited by StLunatic88

5 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I love that you guys keep acting like this is who Quinn always is. While in reality he’s only ever done this one other time, and that was almost a Decade ago. It’s more likely that he comes crashing back down to earth (or gets hurt) than he repeats anything close to ‘21. And then what is he worth?

And acting like a Top 100 pick is nothing might be even more baffling than blindly believing that an aging expensive Vet is going to approach his career year again

He doesn't always post 19 sacks a year. That's true.

He's also not a sure fire Hall of Famer. 

But his cap hit is reasonable, and he makes a big impact on the defense. 

You seem to think the Bears will only win like two games next season, and I can't even begin to understand that logic. Because Robinson is gone? Because they traded Mack? This doesn't make sense to me. We need to keep Quinn around. If Poles trades him, and for less than a first round pick--I'll be pissed. 

What would you accept in trade for Quinn? 

1 hour ago, DABEARSLCF04 said:

I can't  believe how much y'all get your panties in a bunch for having different opinions on this team... its getting sad really.

Biggest reason why im a lurker and reader then a poster.

Tis the nature of the beast in most forums.  If you think this is bad try ChiCitySports.  There are huge piles of soiled bunched up panties strewn all around that place.  Mountains of them as high as those outside my windows.  😆

• Like 1