2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

He doesn't always post 19 sacks a year. That's true.

He's also not a sure fire Hall of Famer. 

But his cap hit is reasonable, and he makes a big impact on the defense. 

You seem to think the Bears will only win like two games next season, and I can't even begin to understand that logic. Because Robinson is gone? Because they traded Mack? This doesn't make sense to me. We need to keep Quinn around. If Poles trades him, and for less than a first round pick--I'll be pissed. 

What would you accept in trade for Quinn? 

I would like a 2nd round pick, but doubt anyone offers that unless we eat some salary… which would be fine.

I would take a 3 or a late 3 and a 5.

If your GM can’t do something with a 3rd round pick then you have bigger problems than what to do with Robert Quinn.

• Like 1

We want to be a draft and develop team with this new regime.

You can’t do that with 6 picks. You need to generate more picks. The bigger the rookie class the faster this roster flips and the sooner they can get focused on actually competing.

This roster is going to be a massive overhaul. If we can turn Robert Quinn into 2-3 players… it makes the overhaul faster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

I love that you guys keep acting like this is who Quinn always is. While in reality he’s only ever done this one other time, and that was almost a Decade ago. It’s more likely that he comes crashing back down to earth (or gets hurt) than he repeats anything close to ‘21. And then what is he worth?

And acting like a Top 100 pick is nothing might be even more baffling than blindly believing that an aging expensive Vet is going to approach his career year again

OK, let's assume Quinn can't match his 2021 stats.  What can he do then?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Q/QuinRo00.htm

Let's take just his last five seasons where he played in and started the majority of the games.  2017-2021 which includes his having played hurt all of 2020.  He also played both OLB and DE during these seasons so it's a good sampling.

He had 47 sacks/9.4 per yr avg.  62 QB hits/12.4 per yr avg.  48 TFL/9.6 per yr avg.  148 tackles/29.6 per yr avg.  If his 2022 stats were no better than his averages over the past 5 seasons would he be worth keeping this season?

Once you look at the trend it's easy to see how it's actually trending upward again in any season where he's 100% healthy.  It's true that he's only had two world class sack years but most teams would gladly accept his average stats over just the past 5 seasons (two at age 30 or more) for what he's paid.

Then consider why Poles hasn't attempted to trade him and take another dead cap hit as well.  Maybe he will post June 1st provided he can cut a deal for him he likes but prior to the draft for a low 3rd round pick AND a loss of $8.5 mil of cap vs a post June 1st trade?  Why would he do that?  Why would any GM do that?

I'm not here to insult anyone but once you take time to research it better and consider all of the implications of a trade now it looks much different doesn't it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

This roster is going to be a massive overhaul. If we can turn Robert Quinn into 2-3 players… it makes the overhaul faster.

That wasn’t the scenario being discussed. It was Quinn for pick #94. That’s one for one. Yes, the $4.4M cap savings, but that’s buying you a stop gap at this juncture of FA.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

That wasn’t the scenario being discussed. It was Quinn for pick #94. That’s one for one. Yes, the $4.4M cap savings, but that’s buying you a stop gap at this juncture of FA.

Yes.....and thank you for filling in that blank while at the same time not allow Windy to move the goal posts again changing a single pick near the bottom of round 3 into 2-3 players from one pick.  Unless we're drafting rabbits I don't think we could turn one pick into three players that quickly.

6 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

You're asking for 1 example *ever* when a team went from winning 2 games thus picking high in the draft and subsequently being good the next year? It took me all of 3 seconds to think of one: the Colts when they went from winning 2 games without Luck to 11 with Luck (aka with a high draft pick).

Dude come on...the Colts were a quality team who lost a all time QB in Manning to injury which is why they were picking that high...they weren't some dumpster fire who sold off all their good players.

5 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Joe Burrow is a one year wonder……

so why are we even trying with Fields then? Because as much as I like Justin, I don’t think he’s close to the QB that Joe is

Did I say Burrows was a 1 year wonder? No...I said the Bengals were...look at all those 1 year contract FAs who had career years last season...you think they are all going to produce the same again this year? History says they won't...that defence especially is nothing special and a healthy Baltimore still dominates that division next season...let alone an improved Pitt not held back by the past it of Big Ben and if Cleveland somehow manage to get Watson playing even half a season...real chance that division becomes the NFC South from a few years back where teams went from first to worst regularly.

5 hours ago, soulman said:

Well....um....there was 2017.  Mitch Trubisky?  He was elite wasn't he?  I mean we spent even more picks to move up for him right?    NO?

Well then surely Adam Shaheen was elite then.  Sometime you find true gold in the second round.  He was surely an elite pick right?  NO again huh?

LOLOL.....good point Mike!  👏

Is there is point in this drivel?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I really don’t think losing Robert Quinn leads to a tank.

Is Robert Quinn the real difference between 7 wins and 3 wins? Outside of QB there aren’t players that have that wild a swing on a teams fortunes. Robert Quinn surely isn’t one of them.

Take one step back… to potentially take 2 steps forward (cap space, draft picks).

If the goal was to try and stay competitive they may have wanted to do a little on more on offense in free agency.

I couldn't disagree more...pass rush is key in this defence...I completely understand and support the trade of Mack but you then remove another quality pass rusher and don't replace him with one...which I doubt we do with one of those 2nd round picks...and you leave yourself in a ton of trouble.

5 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I love that you guys keep acting like this is who Quinn always is. While in reality he’s only ever done this one other time, and that was almost a Decade ago. It’s more likely that he comes crashing back down to earth (or gets hurt) than he repeats anything close to ‘21. And then what is he worth?

And acting like a Top 100 pick is nothing might be even more baffling than blindly believing that an aging expensive Vet is going to approach his career year again

I forgot having over 100 career sacks means nothing 😂

It's funny how people were okay with Poles trading Mack for a 2nd round pick but are totally against trading Quinn for anything but the same or higher.

This doesn't make any sense at all. Quinn is not nearly the impact player that Mack is, which makes him far less valuable.

Mack was traded for a 2nd round pick, created 24M in dead cap, and only saved 4M in cap space. But people are against trading Quinn for a 3rd, creating 11M LESS in dead-cap, and only saving the same amount for him as they saved for Mack.

So either you guys agree that Poles got robbed for Mack, or you are vastly overrating Quinn.

And for the record, this not me saying they should trade Quinn either. That ship has sailed. They traded mack and now a 32 year old Quinn is our best option as a pass rusher. Trading Quinn now, AFTER Mack, would make no sense either.

if they were going to trade one and keep the other then they should've traded Quinn instead of Mack.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soulman said:

Let's take just his last five seasons where he played in and started the majority of the games.

5 seasons is a long time in the NFL. You are trying to compare Quinn from when he was 27 to now when he's 33 going into 2022. That's a big difference.

Expecting him to have another 18 sack season at the age of 33 is not reasonable.  And not only that but he's our best pass rusher.  I have done research on this and if he exceeds 10 sacks this season then I will gladly come back to this and say I was wrong.

His 18 sack season was anomaly. Not the norm. And lets not forget that he got those sacks because he played opposite of Mack who isn't here anymore. When was the last time he was the focal point on defense and made an put up 10 sacks in a season? 7, 8, 9 years ago?