2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

I think the reason they haven’t signed an OG is because they think they are going to draft one to start… which tells me we are picking an OG in the 2nd round. No matter what happens. That is their best chance to ensure that Musty and the Fun Bunch don’t play.

That to me this is drafting for need, because we desperately need a RG, and not the best draft practice.

Need is going to factor into this draft in a big way. 

Edited by WindyCity

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think it is likely they can sign some veterans after the draft to fill some holes they miss in the draft. But post draft starter Shopping is a risky thing. If you miss, there is little you can do at that point to fill the hole.

I posted 12 WR and 12 CB. Are you trying to tell me that you actually think there’s a chance we couldn’t get one of each to sign here with a clear path to starter reps post-draft? You’re not serious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I posted 12 WR and 12 CB. Are you trying to tell me that you actually think there’s a chance we couldn’t get one of each to sign here with a clear path to starter reps post-draft? You’re not serious.

AJ Green and Sammy Watkins signed while you were typing this.

There is a chance. It is low. But landing a competent one post draft isn’t guaranteed.

Why go into the draft needing to do so much work after in a shrinking market after the draft?

Edited by WindyCity

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Does anyone want to bet that 2/3 of their top picks will be WR and OL?

Nope.

It will be interesting if they do chose a defender at 39 though. 

That will not go over well with majority of Bears fans.   I am not on twitter, but expect a LOT of criticism in the time until next pick.

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Nope.

That will not go over well with majority of Bears fans.   I am not on twitter, but expect a LOT of criticism in the time until next pick.

They don’t really have a ton of options.

The only upside they can add is in the draft and our offense desperately needs upside.

To not *** significantly to the offense would be an interesting decision.

If we are going to rely on an ever shrinking free agent market to patch serious holes, especially on offense, that would in my opinion would be a poor approach.

Most of the remaining free agents should be competing with high draft picks and eventually losing their jobs. That doesn’t change your draft needs.

Picking through the leftovers is not how I would build around Fields.

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

They don’t really have a ton of options.

The only upside they can add is in the draft and our offense desperately needs upside.

To not *** significantly to the offense would be an interesting decision.

I wouldn't care to make myself that predictable to other teams.

I listened to a podcast covering a draft years ago, this guy in the group accurately predicted about 65% or more of teams picks as they went through first 3 rounds just based on team need and remaining players available.

Many draft day trades are based on prediction or intelligence of what another team is going to do and maneuvering just in front of them if it becomes necessary.  

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Nope.

If they do go D, they better be sure that he's a day one starter that is going to be key to making the defense top 10.

Otherwise you can't really justify losing out on more OL/WR prospects.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The_Romen said:

If they do go D, they better be sure that he's a day one starter that is going to be key to making the defense top 10.

Otherwise you can't really justify losing out on more OL/WR prospects.

It will be a highly scrutinized pick for certain.

I think they may even double up at WR or OL in 2nd depending on who is there.   More likely WR as that is where 2nd round value seems to be according to mock machines.  

Most of good OTs are gone in first.  WR seems to be deeper with flawed but highly talented prospects.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

If we are going to rely on an ever shrinking free agent market to patch serious holes, especially on offense, that would in my opinion would be a poor approach.

Most of the remaining free agents should be competing with high draft picks and eventually losing their jobs. That doesn’t change your draft needs.

Picking through the leftovers is not how I would build around Fields.

This idea of "leftovers" is just a falsehood...for example if we sign Daryl Williams is signed would you not feel more comfortable with him starting than a rookie?

47 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

This idea of "leftovers" is just a falsehood...for example if we sign Daryl Williams is signed would you not feel more comfortable with him starting than a rookie?

For the the first part of the season… but if that was the best we had I would be underwhelmed.

A stop gap has to lead to something.

If Daryl Williams is the ceiling of o it RG spot that wouldn’t be good enough for me.

Edited by WindyCity

If we don’t draft an OG in the first 3 picks of the draft I will be very underwhelmed by the plan for the OL in a pivotal season for Fields.

If the plan was to sign a bunch of mediocre vets, without serious draft investment, that would be beyond underwhelming.

The time for signing free agents who would alter your draft plans has mostly come and gone.

• Like 1

Just now, WindyCity said:

For the the first part of the season… but if that was the best we had I would be underwhelmed.

A stop gap has to lead to something.

This is just an unrealistic view point man...you can't sign a starting calibre OL who is still under 30 years old and has started 75 career games while playing at a high level and say he is a stop gap...these are the kinds of guys who make up rosters...not superstars but very solid players.

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

This is just an unrealistic view point man...you can't sign a starting calibre OL who is still under 30 years old and has started 75 career games while playing at a high level and say he is a stop gap...these are the kinds of guys who make up rosters...not superstars but very solid players.

Upgrading the OL should not be unrealistic.

Daryl Williams sets a floor for the OL. There is no ceiling there. He is a competent starting OG.

You still need to draft someone with some ceiling. We need some OLmen who are not described as adequate.