2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Upgrading the OL should not be unrealistic.

Daryl Williams sets a floor for the OL. There is no ceiling there. He is a competent starting OG.

You still need to draft someone with some ceiling. We need some OLmen who are not described as adequate. 

And no one is saying it is...what I am saying is one minute you are saying a 2nd round guard might not be able to start in the NFL but then you are saying after just 8 games he will be better than a guy who has started 75 career games and played at a high level...it's a contradiction...

Bottom line is the whole point of running this scheme is so you don't need elite OL...Patrick & Williams are/would be clear upgrades on what we had last season and playing in a much easier scheme to find success in.  

24 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

And no one is saying it is...what I am saying is one minute you are saying a 2nd round guard might not be able to start in the NFL but then you are saying after just 8 games he will be better than a guy who has started 75 career games and played at a high level...it's a contradiction...

Bottom line is the whole point of running this scheme is so you don't need elite OL...Patrick & Williams are/would be clear upgrades on what we had last season and playing in a much easier scheme to find success in.  

I have been consistent in that we need both.

When we go into the draft on Friday night we will desperately need to pick an OG. We won’t have one on the roster and the guys in free agency are not long term answers.

Do you think we have given ourselves flexibility in the draft?

In the other thread you were talking about how big the need was at WR/OG it would be hard to move off that.

16 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I have been consistent in that we need both.

When we go into the draft on Friday night we will desperately need to pick an OG. We won’t have one on the roster and the guys in free agency are not long term answers.

Do you think we have given ourselves flexibility in the draft?

In the other thread you were talking about how big the need was at WR/OG it would be hard to move off that.

Yes they are big needs...but you go and sign Williams and say Jarvis Landry and they are then not big needs...

We don't have the resources to sign a player like Williams to play guard then also draft a guard in the 2nd round.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I’m can’t wait to watch this group melt down in a couple of Fridays when we move down and/or take a Defensive player

Especially after staring at the Best Available board for like 20 hours from the night before

Defensive player yes likely there will be a lot of criticism on that.   A move down?  I think that would be applauded as it has been drummed into people that moving down is good strategy - which it often is.    

I think Poles would love to use one of 2nds to move down.  Question is what will be offered, if anything.

There just aren't that many sexy players to come up for without all the usual first round QBs bumping down the elite position players.  Kind of a weird draft.

Any WR drafted in first 4 rounds or so is going to be lauded until games start to prove otherwise as long as there is something fans can point to about him - fast 40 or big stats or whatever.    Mooney being found late gives people optimism on it.   

Any OL drafted by Poles in first 4 rounds is going to be given benefit of doubt until proven otherwise as well because people are putting a lot of stock in his OL knowledge or acumen due to his background.

Edited by dll2000

On 4/13/2022 at 1:43 PM, beardown3231 said:

FWIW Florio said today that it seems like, based on their offseason, that the FO doesn't believe in Fields

He's also said the opposite. 

Make of that what you will.

On 4/13/2022 at 2:16 PM, AZBearsFan said:

He did, but FWIW Florio is also a click-baiting moron. 

Ehh...I mean, I wouldn't put it that way. 

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

One of few I took time to click and set to not interested.  

I don't want to come off as a big Florio fanboy...but he does get into certain topics, or detail on other topics, that a lot of those types shy away from (by and large). He also has a pretty good grasp of the league, as a whole. 

7 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

The desperation is yours, not theirs. 

bingo_sopranos.gif

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Does anyone want to bet that 2/3 of their top picks will be WR and OL?

They absolutely will be. Unless they trade up. But that would be for OL, so...

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

It will be interesting if they do chose a defender at 39 though. 

A really good CB or S would be fine with me. 

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think Poles would love to use one of 2nds to move down.  Question is what will be offered, if anything.

Trade down, or trade UP. I think that flexibility is why the Mack deal happened in the first place. 

I don’t think it is crazy at all to think that the Bears haven’t done enough offensively to draft with much freedom.

They need to draft multiple OLmen. They need to land a legitimate WR prospect.

This offense has gotten worse, at best it has tread water, the draft is the last place we really have to land potentially difference making players.

Desperate maybe to strong a word, but we have some glaring needs surrounding our franchise QB.

13 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Yes they are big needs...but you go and sign Williams and say Jarvis Landry and they are then not big needs...

We don't have the resources to sign a player like Williams to play guard then also draft a guard in the 2nd round.

Why not? We have little in terms of cap space invested in the line and little in terms of picks.

I think it is too big a risk to pass on offense in the draft and then hope you can land multiple good free agents after.

The original point was that we don’t have a ton of flexibility in the draft. We need players on offense.

8 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

A trade up I believe would be highly criticized given situation.

For Linderbaum?

I wouldn't even begin to criticize that trade.

Kiper's latest mock had Linderbaum falling, and somebody coming up to get him. 

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Why not? We have little in terms of cap space invested in the line and little in terms of picks.

I think it is too big a risk to pass on offense in the draft and then hope you can land multiple good free agents after.

The original point was that we don’t have a ton of flexibility in the draft. We need players on offense.

Because as I have said several times not everyone on your roster can be a superstar...truth be told you don't need an elite OG in this scheme...you need good solid professionals and we should not reach for any position in this draft as it is the quickest way to be lacking in talent.

• Like 2