Week 9: KC Chiefs(6-2) @ Dallas Cowboys(4-3) Another Week for Zeke!

DaBoys

I was real happy with the way the D played.   We did a awesome job Containing their run game.  Lee has to be one of the most important defensive players in the league to their team right now. Still I think we were helped by how little they tested out secondary Daryl down field “our weakness” I think on D.  I also was surprised how well we contained the TE  

on O it was nice to see Beasley and Williams make plays boy was Williams on point with YAC.  His stats were greatly influenced by poor CB play on the 56 yarder.  

Dak was good had some great reads and runs but I thought didn’t throw the ball that great. Off on more then a couple throws where was the touch ball we normally see ? and got lucky on some that were off target and tipped and made a bad throw to the end zone in the one to Butler that was real late with the read a better throw read would have been a TD to either Witten or Butler. 

Zek was okay but didn’t have the separation burst through the hole or to the edge we sometimes see to break a long run he still was awesome being quick with his reads and cuts to find the hole and get up field and fighting for that extra yard

Great job on Dez getting that PI call sometimes he’s lazy there and just as good job competing for the ball in the end zone to prevent any potential interception that also was as great as catch as Dez had made in a long time in the 3rd 15 yarder before end of half. 

14 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Chiefs have the 25th most rushes against their defense.

Teams know they are weak there.

25th out of 32 teams is bottom of the league. They don't have that many attempts against them.

A better stat to use is YPC, instead of bulk rushing yards which can be skewed by attempts. After yesterday the chiefs give up 4.8 YPC which is 30th in the league. Only the Jags and Patriots allow more rush yards per carry.

7 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Id challenge you to name Rods "scheme". He doesnt have one. He literally is running nothing like his Bears/Tampa days. Dude basically changes things up depending on players. 

It's not a very complex scheme I know that. And I'm just parroting what I've heard current players say about it.  We don't blitz. We don't try to "trick" the offense at all. We dont disguise. I've heard several defensive players say they don't have to think much in this scheme; that they can just go. I have heard several FA signings say that it is a simple defense to learn because it's so straight forward. We are basically going to line up and force the offense to win 1-on-1 matchups.  We are the opposite of exotic and sometimes we win sometimes we lose.

It gets frustrating on the Sundays that we are losing the 1-on-1 matchups, because we know that we aren't going to change things up. We will stick with our 3 or 4 man fronts and continue(sometimes in vain) to try and beat them with our straight forward no nonsense defense.

I also heard Romo questioning Marinellis decision to stick with a 3 man front during a portion of yesterdays game. Called him out for basically having Sean Lee has a front line defender. 

But we won.

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

It's not a very complex scheme I know that. And I'm just parroting what I've heard current players say about it.  We don't blitz. We don't try to "trick" the offense at all. We dont disguise. I've heard several defensive players say they don't have to think much in this scheme; that they can just go. I have heard several FA signings say that it is a simple defense to learn because it's so straight forward. We are basically going to line up and force the offense to win 1-on-1 matchups.  We are the opposite of exotic and sometimes we win sometimes we lose.

It gets frustrating on the Sundays that we are losing the 1-on-1 matchups, because we know that we aren't going to change things up. We will stick with our 3 or 4 man fronts and continue(sometimes in vain) to try and beat them with our straight forward no nonsense defense.

I also heard Romo questioning Marinellis decision to stick with a 3 man front during a portion of yesterdays game. Called him out for basically having Sean Lee has a front line defender. 

But we won.

Dude, he called him out on one play. After talking about how Rod changed up our typical defense for this game and how smart he was. 

Thats the definition of cutting your nose despite your face. Rod called a beautiful game, but you focus on 1 play over the other 40.

What I think the point after watching was this was a very favorable match up few passes past line of scrimmage so it fit our concept of keep things simple and in front of you. Give smith a quick open receiver short so he is constantly dumping off as he senses the rush develope rather then holding it for the deep routes But this same scheme struggles against teams like GB STL and I would add Philly that more mobile QB who will throw high risk/reward passes down field and WR that challenge our CB.   

I just hope against better complex passing teams our pass rush can disrupt enough to bale out our weak secondary which is really struggling.  I am very worried about Brown and Jones they both need to get it together

23 minutes ago, quiller said:

But this same scheme

This is where I have a problem with this site in general. Yesterday we played primarily zone. Against other teams we play primarily man... unless it makes sense to go zone. We play 3, 4, 5 down lineman. We have games were we base outta nickle. 

There is no 1 scheme that we use. This idea that the same scheme is used from week to week is silly.

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Dude, he called him out on one play. After talking about how Rod changed up our typical defense for this game and how smart he was. 

Thats the definition of cutting your nose despite your face. Rod called a beautiful game, but you focus on 1 play over the other 40.

Focus? I just pointed it out, and that wasn't even the main point of my post. However I suspect that Romo made a comment that would probably get eye rolls if made by someone here. 

24 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

This is where I have a problem with this site in general. Yesterday we played primarily zone. Against other teams we play primarily man... unless it makes sense to go zone. We play 3, 4, 5 down lineman. We have games were we base outta nickle. 

There is no 1 scheme that we use. This idea that the same scheme is used from week to week is silly.

So you don't don't believe in coach tendencies at all? If not, you probably have problems with a lot of sites. You honestly don't believe Marinelli has any tendencies or general scheme? He's just a wild unpredictable desperado who can really dial it up?

I think Rod has been doing a better job of mixing things up and disguising coverages the last few weeks, as well as actually blitzing at acceptable ratios- generally getting his players to play well.

Without comprehensively breaking them down, I think Woods’ PBU on KC’s first drive and Heath’s INT on their penultimate one were both plays where Dallas showed Cover 2 but switched into Cover 1 post-snap. At the very least, they were both plays where Smith misread the underneath coverage and our guy made him pay for it, which is exactly what we were looking for from our safeties when we chose to move on from Church and Wilcox.

4 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

So you don't don't believe in coach tendencies at all? If not, you probably have problems with a lot of sites. You honestly don't believe Marinelli has any tendencies or general scheme? He's just a wild unpredictable desperado who can really dial it up?

Sure, of course he has tendencies. But the extent of our "scheme" is we base a 4-3. Outside of that, he adapts pretty much everything else to the players.

There are aspects of the defense under RM that warrant criticism He's been very conservative in general and it is frustrating at times. That said, last 3 games...15.3 ppg / 73.3 yd vs run / 226 yd vs pass (6.1 ypa) and 11 sacks. Plus, Dallas getting 2.3 takeaways/gm. Going to win a bunch of games if that trend continues or stays in that ballpark.  

It is EXTREMELY difficult to criticize RM for anything on the defensive side of the ball.  We have 1 1st round pick playing on the defensive side of the ball and he is a backup.  He developed Tank and Irving.  His entire time in Dallas he's been getting by with cast offs and rejects.  Frankly, yesterday went better than I ever imaged.  But for 1 fluke play, we held a very good offense to 10 points.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not dogging Marinelli.  I just said that he does have a scheme, and as others have mentioned it's conservative. It's predicated on getting pressure without blitzing, which we've been able to do better with Irving now helping Lawrence. It's a scheme that's not complex. This is what the players say. It's simple relative to some other schemes. This is not a bad thing. Players are free to move and react. Less thinking more going. They can play fast in this scheme. That's what Rod wants. If done properly it can create TOs. We saw that in 2014 and we are the only defense to pickoff A.Smith this year for a reason. 

Archived