GDT: Titans at Steelers

titans0021

1 hour ago, Airness McNairness said:

wow.... its like some people around here never wanted Julio and saw these problems with him coming... we'll be fine tho.. just get healthy for the playoffs... Julio is and has been a WASH cause he washed up.. he and saffold need to hang em up after the year.. their bodies are failing them. they both legit cant even finish games..its about that time for them..

Just to be clear, what you actually wanted and were satisfied with was this current group of receivers. This group that has left our offense as a shell of its former self. Because those of us that wanted Julio were terrified of the condition the receiver room was in after free agency and the draft. 

41 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

This loss got under my skin yesterday like no other loss so far this year 

I just feel this division slipping out of our grasp

Me too man. The situation feels helpless. 

And the help we are getting back just doesn't feel like enough. 

We desperately need help on offense. 

Can AJ get us through the storm? 

55 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Just to be clear, what you actually wanted and were satisfied with was this current group of receivers. This group that has left our offense as a shell of its former self. Because those of us that wanted Julio were terrified of the condition the receiver room was in after free agency and the draft. 

actually, i was satisfied with the idea that josh reynolds would be able to handle the #2 WR role much like he's handle the duties in Detroit since he left, over a washed up injured wr. i ACTUALLY wanted us to keep Corey Davis, but nobody around here even wanted to entertain that idea since corey "wasnt anywhere close to the receiver julio was/is", even though i CONSTANTLY spoke on his hamstring injuries and age compared to a 26 year old who was in his prime(corey) Dont try and make it seem like I was happy with sub par WR's. at the time, a unit of brown, reynolds, johnson, NWI, rodgers, and a 4th round pick WR who at the time still had promise, was a legit group so yeah.. you tried tho..

9 minutes ago, Airness McNairness said:

actually, i was satisfied with the idea that josh reynolds would be able to handle the #2 WR role much like he's handle the duties in Detroit since he left, over a washed up injured wr. i ACTUALLY wanted us to keep Corey Davis, but nobody around here even wanted to entertain that idea since corey "wasnt anywhere close to the receiver julio was/is", even though i CONSTANTLY spoke on his hamstring injuries and age compared to a 26 year old who was in his prime(corey) Dont try and make it seem like I was happy with sub par WR's. at the time, a unit of brown, reynolds, johnson, NWI, rodgers, and a 4th round pick WR who at the time still had promise, was a legit group so yeah.. you tried tho..

Julio was not even mentioned in this forum until after Corey was already with the Jets. But sure, keep making that completely irrelevant comparison. You didn’t want Corey over Julio, because that was never an actual discussion. You wanted the rest of our receivers over Julio. Which, congrats, you got your wish. It’s worked out great.

As for the rest of it, you literally just confirmed what I said. You were content with a guy that completely flamed out and a bunch of no-names that have had zero NFL impact in their careers. We’ve seen exactly how that’s worked out.

6 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

The thing is, outside of Beasley and Wilson, I don’t think any of them were “bad” moves. They all made perfect sense at the time. Julio trade and Clowney’s signing were thought to be the moves to push us to the next tier of legit SB contenders. Bud, while maybe overpaid, was a guy who not only would help with our pass rush individually but help the pass rush around him(which he has, albeit again, probably overpaid). Farley was a risk injury wise but we all knew he had top 10 talent. It worked with Big Jeff, so I get going to that well again. It just hasn’t worked out, so far.

Now Beasley and Wilson…those decisions were just inexcusable. Have no idea what JRob was thinking there.

Yeah, I’m not even saying that they were bad moves, I certainly liked the Julio and Clowney additions. Just painful that these are THE big swings we’ve taken with our limited resources and the return has been so underwhelming (obviously hope remains for Dupree and probably Farley).

1 minute ago, deeluxx3 said:

Turnovers are a big deal 

these are literally the type of stats/metrics that Mariota defenders like myself were pulling out 

Tannehill is in a terrible situation. Abysmal situation. His performances have been adding to that with his inability to protect the football.

Which is fine. He can’t turn the ball over. I’d argue that the supporting cast is responsible for plenty of them (tough to be prepared for your veteran center to fire a shotgun snap into your chest from under center or your veteran LT not picking up the edge on a one-read throw to the flat), but if the defense is playing well, might have to not make any timing throws. Or take any risks. Though god forbid he holds onto the ball and takes an unnecessary sack, then that criticism pours in.

We can live in a world where we criticize Tannehill knowing there might not be other options where we can run out and get.

Tired of this whole, "show me a quarterback who we could get/ or who could handle the situation better"

Do we really think no qbs that could handle the situation better? Am I saying that multiple qbs could win a Super Bowl with these teams we are fielding each week? No. But I could think of a few qbs that can manufacture plays and drives on their athleticism alone. 

Every team is going to go through situations or adversity through injuries and that's when other players have to pick up the slack. Even if we were healthy and had the number one seed. I still would have my reservations about Tannehill, because we know who he is. He has yet to blow our socks off in a postseason game yet.

I like Tanny, I think he is handling the situation the best he could. Even with the turnovers. I want nothing more than for him to succeed. 

I have thought Tannehill isn't the guy to lead us to the promised land since last year. You can show me all the stats in the world. I know what I am getting from Tannehill at this point. Could he lead us to Super Bowl this year with a perfectly healthy offense. Maybe? That's how I feel about him.

Do I have the resolution to fix it. No. But he isn't absolved of any blame at this point. 

Edited by twotonebluenation
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

Do we really think no qbs that could handle the situation better? Am I saying that multiple qbs could win a Super Bowl with these teams we are fielding each week? No. But I could think of a few qbs that can manufacture plays and drives and plays on there athleticism alone.

If we can’t get them, it’s irrelevant though. Would the offense be better off with a Lamar or Kyler style QB? Sure. Would Rodgers be better? Absolutely. 

But if they aren’t obtainable, focusing on the player that has shown he can succeed if given at least competent players to work with, rather than the heaps of garbage surrounding him that at least have a viable chance of being upgraded this off-season seems like a waste.

Anybody watch Tampa yesterday? Being a successful NFL QB is hard. Being a successful NFL QB under constant pressure without your starting RB and top 3 receivers is near impossible. Even for the GOAT. Let alone for Ryan Tannehill, who remains a good to very good QB.

26 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Which is fine. He can’t turn the ball over. I’d argue that the supporting cast is responsible for plenty of them (tough to be prepared for your veteran center to fire a shotgun snap into your chest from under center or your veteran LT not picking up the edge on a one-read throw to the flat), but if the defense is playing well, might have to not make any timing throws. Or take any risks. Though god forbid he holds onto the ball and takes an unnecessary sack, then that criticism pours in.

Personally speaking, I can live with an unnecessary sack. I don't mind holding the ball extra long on 3rd inside the 10 if it means taking a 7 yard loss, as long as he holds onto the ball. A 25 yard FG is the same as a 32 to me.

My point has always and will continue to be: Ryan Tannehill, our $30 million/year man and our QUARTERBACK, has played his worst ball as a Titan at the time we needed him to step up most. Is that unfair to ask of a QB when he's playing behind a bad OL and bad passing weapons? Perhaps.

But this is the NFL, man. This is pro sports. These are the moments when the best and most important players need to step their games up to another level.

Nobody was expecting Ryan to turn into Aaron Rodgers and turn water into wine. But it's OK to be concerned/bothered/disappointed in the guy your team invested in when he has pretty much collapsed at a very important time in the season.

Pretty simple. When we have at least 2/3 of our best skill position players healthy, the offense ranges from good to very good. When we have 1/3 or none of our top 3 offensive players, the offense is not good. If requiring at least two good skill position players while dealing with a bad OL is the “perfect situation” people like to talk about Tannehill requiring, that’s a pretty low bar for perfect.

• Like 2

i think this loss is particularly bad because we're now about to face two teams that have actually functional offenses. our defense has been playing admirably, but i don't think they can shut them down the way they shut down the steelers. with the way our offense is, this was our chance to play safe, ball-control offense and escape with a win before getting AJ back. and we blew it.

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

If we can’t get them, it’s irrelevant though. Would the offense be better off with a Lamar or Kyler style QB? Sure. Would Rodgers be better? Absolutely. 

But if they aren’t obtainable, focusing on the player that has shown he can succeed if given at least competent players to work with, rather than the heaps of garbage surrounding him that at least have a viable chance of being upgraded this off-season seems like a waste.

Anybody watch Tampa yesterday? Being a successful NFL QB is hard. Being a successful NFL QB under constant pressure without your starting RB and top 3 receivers is near impossible. Even for the GOAT. Let alone for Ryan Tannehill, who remains a good to very good QB.

Dude, I agree. 1000 percent.

But all this doesn't get me to Tannehill getting us a Super Bowl. That is my frustration. And its not anyone's particular fault. It is just a sad reality. Its going to be really hard for that to happen. The injuries we have just don't seem like they are going to let that happen.

If we had a productive healthy triplet, with the defense we have fielded and healthy currently I could believe. But the reality of that happening, is slim. Even in a perfect season, you deal with injuries. Chiefs damn near had every defensive player injured this year. And still have their best player injured.

I am not pointing the blame necessarily. Sure we could have drafted perfectly the last two years. But that's life in the NFL, you are going to miss. Even if we took safer picks we could have missed. The chance of us aligning everything around him perfectly to me is almost riskier than planning for the end of him. We are really between a rock and hard place. We have to hope we can build something while we are still glued to his contract.

Besides the draft, I have been fine with most moves we have made.

Hey, maybe AJ and the King can save us. My brain is so stupid, I will never give up hope. That is what keeps me watching this team. Titan up. Watch us come out and smoke the 9ers. That's who we are right?