2018 NFL Free Agents Thread

DirtyJersey9er

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This is a deep RB class. I don't want to spend top 10 money on guys like Lewis. We could get a damn good back with our late 2nd or one of the 3rd round picks.

I'd like to make a move for Curry if he is available though. 

They got him for 5 mil per. Drop in the bucket of the cap. Roughly about 3%. No reason to have been scared of the money. Scared of the other stuff, sure

30 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Am I just crazy, or is it so wrong for me to have one... simple... thought.. about FA runningbacks...

Hey, FRANK! come back home for 1 more year, and finish that career off with a SB, brother!

th?id=OIP.KbXhoWJm8wfjyr8ri1IkiAHaFD&w=2

I've been on this since the end of the season. 3rd down back, limited touches, keep his legs fresh, give Breida and Williams/rookie a healthy share of the carries on the first two downs. Frank would be perfect. Great pass blocker, one of the best in the NFL, great pass catcher. We win the superbowl, and Frank retires, hall of fame, jersey retired, everything is perfect.

17 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I have a feeling breida will be the starter.

Personally, I don't have a problem with that. I just looked highlights of a few games yesterday, and damn, he's explosive. With one year of experience, I think he can be much better. He has his weaknesses, and we'd need someone else to help him out. But I like Breida.

1 hour ago, big9erfan said:

In Mostert's case he could actually fill in at RB

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

If the guy who touched the ball a grand total of 6 times in 12 games is the guy that can fill in for a couple of games, then anybody who is "nothing other than STs" can just as easily fill in for a couple of games. Mostert is the exact definition of somebody who factored in no way into the offense. He was just a special teams guy who could have filled the role in the case of an emergency. 

I know he didn't do much, but your "could" matches my "could". My point is that if I'm choosing between two special teamers that are equal in their ST abilities I would easily take the one that is better at his designatied position, e.g. if Mostert is an adequate RB than we can keep him and two others knowing that we would be OK using him like any other 3rd string RB if the two guys ahead of him got hurt.  But if he truly sucks as a RB than if we wanted to keep him just for STs then we might also have to keep 3 RBs.That extra game day roster spot can sometimes turn out to be important.

29 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm pretty sure I'm the only niners fan who doesn't have interest in bringing gore back lol

Nope. Love me some Frank but his time here is over. We need young legs for this team. 

1 minute ago, sherm said:

Nope. Love me some Frank but his time here is over. We need young legs for this team. 

We have young legs. In fact, we only have young legs under contract. Breida, Williams, McNicholds and Mostert... do we need younger legs, as in a rookie RB, or could we use some older legs, with experience?

1 minute ago, big9erfan said:

I know he didn't do much, but your "could" matches my "could". My point is that if I'm choosing between two special teamers that are equal in their ST abilities I would easily take the one that is better at his designatied position, e.g. if Mostert is an adequate RB than we can keep him and two others knowing that we would be OK using him like any other 3rd string RB if the two guys ahead of him got hurt.  But if he truly sucks as a RB than if we wanted to keep him just for STs then we might also have to keep 3 RBs.That extra game day roster spot can sometimes turn out to be important.

I don't think it does match your could, because my point is anyone could have done what Mostert did as a RB. He's an emergency guy, same as any player who "only plays Special Teams" could be an emergency guy at other positions. Again, should there be a rash of TE injuries, Kyle Nelson could be an emergency TE. It doesn't mean he ever will be - he's just a special teams guy.  Just like Mostert was. If Mostert is your baseline for what it means to be adequate at their position, then absolutely every special teams player is adequate at their position. 

34 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm pretty sure I'm the only niners fan who doesn't have interest in bringing gore back lol

Nope. I don't think he should come back. People are getting caught up in the feels too much. Gore is just old, and slow at this point. 

I’d much rather have Frank back than McKinnon. I mean obviously for nostalgia plays a part in me wanting him back, but I honestly think he’d offer more to this team than McKinnon would even at his advanced age. Best pass blocking back in the NFL and his experience and work ethic/example would be huge for these young guys as well. Perfect third down back. 

Archived